In this monthly series, I commit to cooking whatever is on the cover of Bon Appetit, Saveur or maybe some other food magazine. There’s a reason these particular dishes are on the cover – they’re usually the best recipes in the magazine.
The May issue of Bon Appetit arrived with a huge stack of “Smoky Mountain Griddle Cakes” dripping with syrup on the cover. I just call them “pancakes” in my house, but either way, a big pile of them was in my future.
I don’t really eat a lot of pancakes, to be honest. I know I’ve mentioned it before, but I’m just not a big fan of sweet breakfast – I even make oatmeal and cereal into savory dishes. But every once in a very long while, pancakes for dinner hits the spot. Or, in this case, pancakes in the middle of the afternoon after a long night of bourbon drinking (my friends and I had a cocktail competition that involved drinking a half-dozen bourbon drinks to determine a winner).
While I was planning to top my pancakes with some Michigan-made maple syrup, I also wanted to jazz them up a little bit with some fresh fruit. I made a quick compote with fresh pineapple, fresh ginger, ground cinnamon, and some agave nectar (honey or brown sugar would work just as well).
- Whole Grain Pancakes
- 1 egg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, plus extra for serving
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Pineapple-Ginger Compote
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Make Whole Grain Pancakes: In a small bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk and maple syrup. In a large bowl, whisk all-purpose flour, cornmeal, brown rice flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; whisk until combined. Add butter; whisk until no lumps remain.
- Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. In batches; spray griddle with nonstick spray, then pour batter by 1/3-cupfuls onto griddle. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make Pineapple-Ginger Compote: Heat butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add pineapple and ginger and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until slightly softened, stirring frequently. Stir in agave nectar and cinnamon. Serve pancakes topped with compote and/or maple syrup.
Adapted from Bon Appetit
- February 2013 Bon Appetit: Rigatoni with Spicy Calabrese-Style Pork Ragu
- March 2013 Bon Appetit: Thai Curry Chicken Noodle Soup
- April 2013 Bon Appetit: Fried Chicken Sandwiches with Pickle Coleslaw
- May 2013 Bon Appetit: Whole Grain Pancakes with Pineapple-Ginger Compote
- June 2013 Bon Appetit: Pasta with Herb-Almond Pesto
- July 2013 Bon Appetit: Sambal Chicken Skewers
- August 2013 Bon Appetit: True Mint Ice Cream
- September 2013 Saveur: Extra-Crispy Fried Chicken
- October 2013 Saveur: Hungarian-Style Stuffed Cabbage
- December 2013 Bon Appetit: (Luster-Dusted) Sour Cream-Nutmeg Sugar Cookies
- January 2014 Bon Appetit: Spicy Pork & Mustard Green Soup
- February 2014 Bon Appetit: Chicken & Dumplings with Mushrooms