In this monthly series, I commit to cooking whatever is on the cover of Bon Appetit, Saveur or maybe some other food magazine. There’s a reason these particular dishes are on the cover – they’re usually the best recipes in the magazine.
When the September issue of Bon Appetit arrived, I realized it was the annual “America’s Best New Restaurants” issue, and thus, it was impossible to cook the cover. Saveur, on the other hand, started a Cook the Cover Instagram CONTEST of their own, WITH PRIZES.
So, it was time to fry some chicken. Fried chicken. Not my favorite thing to eat. Not my favorite thing to cook. And yet, my Cook The Cover series has required me to make it twice this year (the first time was these awesome sandwiches).
Oh, the fun. The oil being too hot. Then too cold. Then splattering on me. Then splattering on the dog. My fingers being covered in thick, pasty, flour/liquid goop. The house smelling like WE LIVE AT KFC.
That being said, this chicken turned out great, as far as fried chicken goes. Especially considering I was Skyping with my two best friends while in the midst of frying. I figured if I was going to go down (literally) in flames, I may as well broadcast it. At least they could call 911 if they witnessed me engulfed in a massive grease fire.
Grease fire averted, tasty fried chicken successfully made. Extra-crispy indeed. I even skipped the brining portion of the recipe, and the chicken was still moist and flavorful. If you’re a fan of fried chicken, be sure to check this recipe out.
Get the recipe for Extra Crispy Fried Chicken HERE!
- February 2013 Bon Appetit: Rigatoni with Spicy Calabrese-Style Pork Ragu
- March 2013 Bon Appetit: Thai Curry Chicken Noodle Soup
- April 2013 Bon Appetit: Fried Chicken Sandwiches with Pickle Coleslaw
- May 2013 Bon Appetit: Whole Grain Pancakes with Pineapple-Ginger Compote
- June 2013 Bon Appetit: Pasta with Herb-Almond Pesto
- July 2013 Bon Appetit: Sambal Chicken Skewers
- August 2013 Bon Appetit: True Mint Ice Cream
- September 2013 Saveur: Extra-Crispy Fried Chicken
- October 2013 Saveur: Hungarian-Style Stuffed Cabbage
- December 2013 Bon Appetit: (Luster-Dusted) Sour Cream-Nutmeg Sugar Cookies
- January 2014 Bon Appetit: Spicy Pork & Mustard Green Soup
- February 2014 Bon Appetit: Chicken & Dumplings with Mushrooms