Asparagus Mimosa from Plenty

Asparagus Mimosa from "Plenty" - this mimosa isn't an excuse to drink champagne before noon, but it's a beautiful summer side dish!

In an effort to force myself to actually make some recipes from the cookbooks I buy (instead of watching them collect dust on the coffee table), I’m committing to a once-monthly blog post I’ll call “Cook The Book.” Not to be confused with my other monthly “If I Liked It, Then I Should Have Put A [3] Ring [Binder] On It” posts, these dishes may not necessarily be ones I’ve made again and again (yet). This is just my effort to try out some cookbook recipes and share the results with you.

I’m starting this series with a bright and fresh asparagus recipe from a fancy-pants vegetarian cookbook. I always thought a mimosa was an excuse to drink champagne before noon. Turns out, “mimosa” in French culinary terms refers to finely grated or seived hard-cooked eggs frequently used to dust salads and vegetables.

Recipe: Asparagus Mimosa from Plenty: Vibrant Vegetable Recipes from London’s Ottolenghi.

(because I’m a bit uncomfortable just copying the recipe from the cookbook, please buy the cookbook, check it out at your local library, or do a quick Google search for the recipe).

Background: For almost a year, I longingly gazed at Plenty when I saw it in stores. I was dying for a copy of it, but just didn’t want to spend the $35 (seriously, cookbooks are way expensive). After a looooong day of shopping at the mall, I was tired, thirsty and weak-willed walking through Crate & Barrel to get to the parking lot. That was the day Plenty finally came home with me. This is the third recipe I’ve made from the book. The first two….led to mixed results. I was hoping for a great outcome here!

Outcome: Delicious! The asparagus was tender but remained still a bit crisp in parts (which I like). The egg added a bit of creaminess, and the capers and sea salt mean everything was seasoned really well. I would definitely make this again.

What I Liked: It’s my style of cooking – sort of looks fancy, but isn’t hard to make at all. I always have Maldon sea salt and capers on hand (and eggs!). And for me, the combo of asparagus and eggs can’t be beat. For this dish, I cooked the eggs the night before and just kept them in the fridge until it was time to assemble the dish the next day. Blanching the asparagus is super quick once you get the water boiling, and what’s left to do? Sprinkle on some capers and sea salt and EAT.

What I Didn’t: No real problems here. Although, I will note that grating hard boiled eggs on a cheese grater just feels weird. And it’s messy. Next time I may just finely chop them with a knife, for similar results.
Are you a fan of Plenty? What recipes have you tried from the book, and how did they turn out?

All entries in the “Cook The Book” Series:

11 Responses to “Asparagus Mimosa from Plenty”

1. Suzanne — June 27, 2013 at 10:55 am

Great idea Lori, I also have a huge collection of cookbooks I just dust frequently. Don’t have Plenty but this recipe sounds great. Reminds me of my childhood, on holidays my Mom always made frittata with asparagus. The combination is wonderful. You have inspired me to do the same with my dusty collection, I have a list of books I want to get too, can’t help it.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — June 27th, 2013 @ 11:08 am

Oh, please join me, Suzanne – dust off those cookbooks :) I figured that one recipe per month is an attainable goal, and I can slowly work my way through all the recipes I want to try. I actually flipped through a bunch of books while making a list of the recipes I want to make. My main problem is I love looking through cookbooks, and I see all this beautiful food, and then promptly forget to make it as soon as the cookbook is closed! I think the list will help me keep on track.

Mmmmm…an asparagus frittata sounds like the perfect breakfast for Christmas morning or something. Yum!

• Suzanne replied: — June 27th, 2013 @ 2:48 pm

I will join you, I have so many cookbooks with recipes I mean to try and like you look at the pretty pictures close the book and forget about it. Lets do it!!

2. Suzanne — June 27, 2013 at 3:55 pm

3. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 27, 2013 at 4:08 pm

4. Suzanne — June 27, 2013 at 7:48 pm

5. Kathrynk — June 28, 2013 at 2:28 pm

re so funny, I loved this:

monthly “If I Liked It, Then I Should Have Put A [3] Ring [Binder] On It”
    posts

6. Kathrynk — June 28, 2013 at 7:29 pm

re so funny, I loved this:

monthly “If I Liked It, Then I Should Have Put A [3] Ring [Binder] On It”
    posts

7. Pingback: Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes, Part 3

8. Pingback: Chocolate Mint Cupcakes from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes - Foxes Loves Lemons

9. Pingback: Chocolate Banana Bread from "Tyler's Ultimate" - Foxes Loves Lemons