Beet, Blood Orange & Chèvre Salad
Welcome to my office and beet laboratory. High five if you know what movie that is from. Except in the movie, it’s really “beat.” But in my kitchen, it’s pretty much always a beet laboratory. I’ll just go ahead and admit it – beets are my favorite food. Seriously, my very favorite food in the whole world. Not pizza. Not french fries. Not chocolate cake. BEETS.
When my friend Courtney at Neighborfood invited me to participate in a virtual Galantine’s Day party (with some of my favorite blogging gal pals, and some new friends, too), I knew I’d be bringing some beets to the table. If you haven’t heard of Galantine’s Day, the term comes from the show “Parks and Recreation,” where the main character, Leslie Knope, throws a big celebration the day before Valentine’s Day for all of her girlfriends. Even though I don’t watch “Parks and Rec” (or much TV at all), I’m always up for a party. Especially a girly party in which we eat food that most men don’t appreciate.
For me, beets are a special treat for just myself. My husband might eat a few of them, but other than that….they’re all mine. This beet salad is like a Galantine’s present to myself and all the other beet-loving ladies out there. I stirred together some softened chèvre with tangy sour cream (Greek yogurt would also be good). I did the old “plop and smear” with that on the bottom of the plate, and then arranged some roasted beets, blood oranges, walnuts and chives over it. A little bit of white wine vinaigrette finishes off this party on a plate.
P.S. If you love beets as much as I do, Farm Star Living is giving away a 3-month supply of Love Beets products to celebrate Heart Health Month! Click here to go to the giveaway page.
Beet, Blood Orange & Chèvre Salad
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
For the Salad:
- 2 medium golden beets
- 2 medium red beets
- 2 blood oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
For the Chevre Cream:
- 1/4 cup chevre (goat cheese), softened
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Roast Beets for Salad: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place golden beets and red beets in separate foil pouches and place on rimmed baking pan. Roast 40 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and let stand until cool enough to handle; remove beet skins by rubbing with paper towel. Cut beets into 1/4-inch slices.
- Meanwhile, make Chevre Cream: In small bowl, stir together all ingredients.
- Make Vinaigrette: In small bowl, whisk together mustard, vinegar and salt. While whisking, slowly drizzle in oil until all oil is incorporated.
- Divide Chevre Cream between 4 salad plates, smearing across plates. Arrange beets, orange segments, walnuts and chives over cream. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve immediately.
Making one of my recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on my Facebook page, or uploading to Instagram or Twitter with the tag #foxeslovelemons. It would make my day!
Don’t forget to check out all the other great Galantine’s Day recipes:
Galentine’s Day Drinks
Blood Orange Bourbon Fizz with Fried Sage from Lauren of Climbing Grier Mountain
Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Martini from Shanna of Pineapple and Coconut
Ladies’ Night Rum Punch from Lindsay of The Live In Kitchen
Galentine’s Day Brunch
Sweet Potato Cornmeal Waffles with Bourbon Cream and Pecan Butter from Susan of Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
Chocolate Dipped Donuts from Angie of Big Bear’s Wife
Lemon and Ginger Scones from Lauren of Healthy. Delicious.
Beet, Blood Orange, and Chèvre Salad from Lori of Foxes Love Lemons
Galentine’s Day Desserts
Piña Colada Cupcakes from Courtney of Neighborfood
Strawberry Chocolate Dessert Bars from Marly of Namely Marly
Banana Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Chocolate Frosting from Nancy of Gotta Get Baked
One Layer Fudge Cake from Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Double Strawberry Angel Food Cake with Whipped Vanilla Creme Fraiche from Cynthia of Two Red Bowls
Dark Chocolate Pistachio Ice Cream with Candied Bacon Bits from Steph of Girl Versus Dough
Fruity Dessert Pizza from Morgan of Peaches Please
Secret-Ingredient Chocolate Pecan Bites (Gluten Free!) from Karen of The Food Charlatan
DIY Cheesecake Parfait Bar from Heather of Heather’s Dish