Black Bean Soup with Corn-Avocado Relish #KleenexAllergy #pmedia
Is there anybody (especially those in the Midwest) who doesn’t love fall and everything about it? Pumpkin-flavored everything, cozy sweaters, cider mills, leaves changing colors. Oh, and the return of soup season! Not that I don’t eat soup year ’round – I sure do. But summer soups are lighter, broth-ier, and maybe even served cold. Fall soups are different. Thick, hearty, warming and comforting. The perfect meal to serve when my husband is suffering from the only bad thing about fall – allergies.
While I’m admiring the sunset-colored maple leaves and saying “hey, let’s go for a hayride!,” he’s sneezing. Sneezing a lot. He didn’t really start suffering from allergies until his 20’s, so for the first few years of this fun new development, he didn’t quite have it under control with allergy meds. One year, he sneezed so often that I counted one day. Gross but true. He sneezed 123 times. One hundred and twenty three times. In one day.
Needless to say, we go through a lot of Kleenex. I’m a huge fan of the Cool Touch variety – the Kleenex that feels soothing and cold when it hits your nose (it’s amazing, trust me). Jeff likes good ol’ classic Kleenex, so we end up keeping both on hand.
If your family also needs to stock up for allergy season, click HERE to get a coupon and then head to your local Target store – if you purchase a Kleenex 4-pack, you get a free wallet pack (2 pack) or pocket pack (3 pack), while supplies last.
After you’re all set on that front, make your favorite allergy sufferer a big pot of soup. Jeff likes spicy soups to clear his sinuses when his allergies are raging, so I used a jalapeno to add some heat to this thick and chunky black bean soup. Seriously, it’s so thick and chunky that it just looks like a big bowl of black beans, right? It’s soup, promise. I topped it off with a crunchy relish made with corn, avocado, onion, cilantro and tomato. Take that, allergies!
Black Bean Soup with Corn-Avocado Relish
Yield: 4 servings
For the Black Bean Soup:
- 8 ounces dried black beans, picked through and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
For the Corn-Avocado Relish:
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- Make Black Bean Soup: In large saucepot, add beans and enough water to cover by 2 inches; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain beans.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic, carrot, jalapeno and onion; cook 4 to 6 minutes or until vegetables being to soften, stirring occasionally. Add bay leaf, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth and beans; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are very tender, stirring occasionally. If soup gets too thick, add water until your desired consistency is reached.
- Meanwhile, make Corn-Avocado Relish: In medium bowl, toss all ingredients until well combined.
- Serve soup garnished with Corn-Avocado Relish.
This post is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® and Kleenex but all my opinions are my own. #KleenexAllergy #pmedia http://cmp.ly/3/8vNxcO. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.