Chocolate Ginger Bliss Oatmeal Cookies
It’s no secret that I love trail mix, and consider it a balanced meal once in awhile. And by “once in awhile,” I mean anytime my husband is on a business trip or away from home for dinner. While I have no problem cooking for just myself, I hate doing all of the dishes accrued from making a meal just for one person. Some nights, it just doesn’t feel worth it. Those nights, I turn to trail mix. I’ve convinced myself it’s a perfect meal – it’s got protein and fruit, and if you play your cards right and get the kind with chocolate in it, it’s got dessert built right into it. Truly, the perfect food.
That being said, do you know what’s better than trail mix? A chocolate chip cookie that’s packed with trail mix. These cookies are a bit more nutritious than your average “Nestlee Toulouse” version (said the Phoebe Buffay way from Friends). They’re made with oatmeal, a little bit of buckwheat flour, and some agave nectar for sweetness. In my mind, this makes them the perfect breakfast cookie. Yes, I’m recommending that you just go ahead and eat cookies for breakfast (and trail mix for dinner).
The “goodies” in these oatmeal cookies are pieces of NatureBox Chocolate Ginger Bliss, which is like a trail mix made with chocolate chips, candied ginger, cashews, almonds, and dried fruit like cranberries, papaya, raisins, pineapple and apricots.
If you’re a trail mix superfan like me, and you’d like to give Naturebox a try, click here and use the code “FOXES10″ at checkout to receive $10 off your first box!
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon buckwheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extra
- 3/4 cup Naturebox Chocolate Ginger Bliss
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In medium bowl, stir together oats, flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar with until fluffy, scraping bowl occasionally about 1 to 2 minutes. Add egg, agave nectar and vanilla; beat 30 seconds. Add oat mixture; beat until just combined. Fold in Chocolate Ginger Bliss.
- Drop about 2 tablespoons cookie dough 2 inches apart onto parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake until edges of cookies are golden brown and centers are slightly soft, about 11 to 12 minutes, rotating cookie sheets halfway through baking. Cool cookies on cookie sheets 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack.
Disclaimer: This post is part of an ongoing relationship I have with NatureBox for recipe development. Posts like this help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.