Clementine, Whiskey & Wine Cocktail #SundaySupper

Clementine, Whiskey and Wine Cocktail - A strong but fruity and beautiful winter drink.

What’s the most creative cocktail you’ve ever had? One of my favorites is from Local Kitchen & Bar, a relatively new restaurant in my hometown of Ferndale, Michigan. It’s a drink made with a combination of whiskey, citrus juices ad simple syrup. Sounds like just a standard cocktail, right?

The real kicker is that there is a “floater” of red wine poured on top. When I first read the description on the menu, it sounded….strange. And I wasn’t sure it was going to be good. But I ordered it anyway, and it was fantastic. Strong but refreshing, sweet but not too much so, and a balanced combination of flavors. It was like whiskey drinks were always meant to have a little kick of wine!

Because that drink was so memorable, I figured an adaptation of it would be perfect for this week’s #SundaySupper. It’s all about memorable holiday meals made with wine, and is being sponsored by Gallo Family Vineyards and hosted by Isabel at Family Foodie.

For my adaptation, I took my favorite winter fruit  - clementines –  and made a (very simple) simple syrup. I swirled that into some whiskey, and added ice and a cherry. Then came the special part – a floater of Gallo Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon. Hint: get the wine to float on top of the drink by slowing pouring the wine over a spoon right above the drink.

Before you make a round of cocktails for your holiday meal, have some fun creating a family crest, and connect with Gallo Family Vineyards on FacebookTwitterInstagram and YouTube.

Clementine, Whiskey & Wine Cocktail

Yield: 2

Clementine, Whiskey & Wine Cocktail

• For the Clementine Simple Syrup:
  • 4 clementines, peeled and segmented
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • For the Cocktail:
  • 3 ounces Clementine Simple Syrup
  • 3 ounces whiskey
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • Maraschino cherries, for garnish (optional)
  • 3 ounces Gallo Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon, for floating

1. Make Clementine Simple Syrup: In medium saucepan, stir together clementines, sugar and water. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer, pressing on fruit to extract as much liquid as possible. Refrigerate until cool. Makes about 1-1/2 cups simple syrup.
  2. Fill two rocks glasses with ice; add a few cherries to each glass, if desired. Fill cocktail shaker with ice; add Clementine Simple Syrup, whiskey and lemon juice, and shake well.
  3. Pour whiskey mixture over ice in glasses. Pour wine floater over top of cocktails by slowly pouring wine over a small spoon set over each glass.

SSbadge-200x200

Don’t forget to check out all of the delicious Sunday Supper recipes:

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here - Sunday Supper Movement.

Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.

Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food writing.

57 Responses to “Clementine, Whiskey & Wine Cocktail #SundaySupper”

1. Renee Dobbs — December 15, 2013 at 5:31 am

Now this is a drink that just might get me liking whiskey. I’ve never had a drink with wine floated on top. I want to try it soon just to see how it is. Plus have the clementine simple syrup for other things.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — December 17th, 2013 @ 11:23 am

Oh yes, the clementine simple syrup would be good to have around for all sorts of holiday drinks! If this can’t get you liking whiskey, nothing can ;)

2. Liz — December 15, 2013 at 6:18 am

What a gorgeous cocktail! Perfect for any winter celebration!!!

3. Tammi @ Momma's Meals — December 15, 2013 at 7:33 am

Not only does it look like a gorgeous drink but I bet the combo’s of flavors completes it! I NEED to try this! Thanks for sharing!

4. kimchi_mom — December 15, 2013 at 7:44 am

Looks so festive!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — December 17th, 2013 @ 11:23 am

It did turn out even more beautiful than I had hoped, I must admit :)

5. supperforasteal — December 15, 2013 at 7:55 am

Oh this sounds like such a yummy cocktail!

6. Pingback: Short Ribs with Pasta | Magnolia Days

7. Marjory @ Dinner-Mom — December 15, 2013 at 8:04 am

Cheers! This is truly memorable and delish. I love the red wine floating on top.

8. Pingback: Linguine with Spicy Red Clam Sauce for #SundaySupper | Supper for a Steal

9. Pingback: Stone Crab Scampi #SundaySupper — Family Foodie

10. Pingback: Family Fondue #SundaySupper - kimchi MOM ™

11. Shannon — December 15, 2013 at 8:36 am

That is a beautiful cocktail! What a great compliment to so many dishes. Yum!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — December 17th, 2013 @ 11:24 am

Oh yes, it works well with all kinds of food – one of the reasons I love it so much.

12. Pingback: Red Wine Chocolate Cake #SundaySupper - Alida's Kitchen

13. Pingback: Red Wine Risotto for Christmas Dinner — Shockinlgy Delicious

14. Family Foodie — December 15, 2013 at 9:19 am

What a great idea. I love clementines and I will be trying this cocktail this holiday season. Thanks for sharing!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — December 17th, 2013 @ 11:24 am

You’re welcome, Isabel. Although, I must confess – part of my reason for making this is my disappointment with clementines this year. The ones I’ve been getting haven’t been too great for eating.

15. Pingback: Red Wine Velvet Cake #SundaySupper | The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

16. Alida — December 15, 2013 at 9:49 am

So pretty, Lori! Clementines are my favorite winter fruit…I would love to try them in this creative drink!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — December 17th, 2013 @ 11:25 am

Thanks Alida! I generally love clementines as well, but have been a little disappointed by them this year. Not much flavor. I’m going to keep trying until I get a good box of them, though!

17. Wendy — December 15, 2013 at 10:27 am

What a fun and creative cocktail…I have a bag of mandarins that I need to use up before we leave for home next weekend. This would be a really fun cocktail to try out!

18. cupcakekalechip — December 15, 2013 at 10:42 am

Lori, this is gorgeous, and I am sure tastes fantastic!

19. Heather @girlichef.com — December 15, 2013 at 10:55 am

Oh my gosh, this is SO fun! I definitely need to make these and share for the holidays this year. So pretty.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — December 17th, 2013 @ 11:27 am

I’m so glad you made them, Heather! It totally made my day seeing your pic on Instagram. Hope your Monday morning wasn’t too rough ;)

20. Pingback: Portabellas Stuffed with Cabernet Onions and Gorgonzola | The Wimpy Vegetarian

21. Cindys Recipes — December 15, 2013 at 11:55 am

OMG Lori this looks perfect for a Holiday party! I love it!

22. Alexis @ Gallo Family Vineyard — December 15, 2013 at 12:05 pm

To our #SundaySupper friends and family: Our sincere apologies, but we seem to be experiencing some issues with our $2 off savings. Unfortunately, it’s unlikely that this issue will be resolved before our #SundaySupper chat later today. Once we are able to get the offer back up and running, we’ll be sure to let all of our #SundaySupper readers know. Again, we are so sorry!

23. The Wimpy Vegetarian — December 15, 2013 at 12:09 pm

What a cool way to get the wine to float on top. Thanks so much for the tip! This drink looks so festive!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — December 17th, 2013 @ 11:29 am

You’re welcome, Susan! That spoon trick works for ANYTHING you want floated on top of a drink!

24. Pingback: Crock Pot Beef Bourguignon for #SundaySupper - The Dinner-Mom

25. Pingback: Easy Cranberry & Bacon Stuffing #SundaySupper |

26. Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious — December 15, 2013 at 12:31 pm

So clever and pretty! Love the layers.

27. Constance — December 15, 2013 at 12:49 pm

What a GORGEOUS cocktail! Not only pinned this one, but printed it out to take along to the family reunion later this month ;)

28. Pingback: Baked Stuffed Pork Chops with Moscato Gravy #SundaySupper | Webicurean

29. Alice Choi — December 15, 2013 at 4:40 pm

what a beautiful cocktail!!! love it!! I don’t have enough cocktail recipes!! This is going to change starting now! love this!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — December 17th, 2013 @ 11:30 am

Thanks Alice! I’m with you – I don’t have enough cocktails in my arsenal, either. 2014 resolution? More drinking?

30. Beate @ The Not So Cheesy Kitc — December 15, 2013 at 5:47 pm

This sounds like one fantastic drink! Yum & Cheers :)

31. littleredkitchen — December 16, 2013 at 11:37 am

Well now I know what to do with that bottle of Jamison floating around at home. I’m more of a bourbon and rye fan but considering I do have some Cabernet left and clementines I home, this really does need to happen.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — December 17th, 2013 @ 11:31 am

Oh – this recipe would work just fine with bourbon, Susan. I’m not sure about rye, since I don’t drink that much – but probably that too :)

• Christine replied: — December 18th, 2013 @ 3:08 am

Hi,
        What about brandy? I can get that and red wine here in the little supermarket across the street here in China-aka the daily western food treasure hunt…

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — December 18th, 2013 @ 11:19 am

Honestly, I’m not all that familiar with brandy (other than as an ingredient in sangria), but why not give it a try? What’s the worst that could happen? :)

32. Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere — December 17, 2013 at 9:15 am

This sounds delicious! I love whiskey and love wine, so I don’t see why they couldn’t go together!

33. Pingback: Shake Up Your Cocktails with Homemade Flavored Syrups -

34. Pingback: How to Throw an Anti-Super Bowl Party for One |Foodbeast

35. Pingback: Pomegranate White Wine Panna Cotta: Memorable Holiday Meals with Gallo Family Vineyards #SundaySupper - Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks