Hey there! I’m excited to share my first new recipe of 2017 with you. I know this is a time of year where a lot of people are making resolutions, but personally, I’m just trying to get back into a routine. After a few weeks of extreme relaxation over the holidays (and all of the salty snacks, sweet treats, and lack of exercise involved with that), I’m ready to get back on track. Meaning, planning healthful breakfasts, lunches and dinners, and working exercise into my busy schedule. But also, not beating myself up and not expecting perfection. Who’s with me?
Let’s work on making better choices, but still have fun with it. Jennie-O ground turkey has always been a meal-planning staple for me, dating back to college when I used to make turkey sloppy joes for myself and my roommates. It’s a simple way to create a healthful meal, any day of the week.
This Deluxe Turkey Burger Salad is my jazzed-up version of a healthy eating standard – the bunless burger. But instead of simply wrapping a turkey burger in a big ol’ lettuce leaf and calling it a day, I wanted to make one of those meal-in-itself chopped salads that I love.
I used JENNIE-O® Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast to make miniature “burgers” seasoned with steak seasoning, then served them over a bed of lettuce, along with some tomatoes, onions, avocado, croutons and feta cheese. The creamy sun dried tomato salad dressing is inspired by the sauce served with the awesome turkey burger at the bar my husband and I have dinner at most Tuesday nights. Here’s to a happy and healthy 2017!
Deluxe Turkey Burger Salad
For the Sun Dried Tomato Dressing:
- 5 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons drained sun dried tomatoes in oil
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
For the Turkey Burger Salad
- 1 package (1 pound) JENNIE-O® Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast
- 1 tablespoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large head green leaf lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 3/4 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved if large
- 1/2 cup croutons
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- Make the Sun Dried Tomato Dressing: In food processor, blend buttermilk, mayonnaise, sun dried tomatoes, sour cream, lemon juice, chives, garlic and lemon zest until smooth.
- Make the Turkey Burger Salad: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In medium bowl (or just using container turkey comes in), sprinkle turkey with steak seasoning and mix with hands until well combined. Form turkey into golf ball-sized meatballs, then flatten into patties. Place on plate.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. In batches if necessary, cook turkey patties 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Transfer patties to rimmed baking pan and transfer to oven. Bake 4 to 6 minutes or until internal temperature of patties reaches 165 degrees F.
- Arrange lettuce on large platter. Top with avocado, grape tomatoes, croutons, cheese, onion, and turkey patties. Serve with Sun Dried Tomato Dressing.
Disclosure: As a member of the Jennie-O Switch Circle, this was a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Jennie-O. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.