Extra-Crispy Fried Chicken

Extra Crispy Fried Chicken from Saveur's September 2013 Issue | foxeslovelemons.com

In this monthly series, I commit to cooking whatever is on the cover of Bon Appetit, Saveur or maybe some other food magazine. There’s a reason these particular dishes are on the cover – they’re usually the best recipes in the magazine.

When the September issue of Bon Appetit arrived, I realized it was the annual “America’s Best New Restaurants” issue, and thus, it was impossible to cook the cover. Saveur, on the other hand, started a Cook the Cover Instagram CONTEST of their own, WITH PRIZES.

Bon Appetit & Saveur September 2013

So, it was time to fry some chicken. Fried chicken. Not my favorite thing to eat. Not my favorite thing to cook. And yet, my Cook The Cover series has required me to make it twice this year (the first time was these awesome sandwiches).

Oh, the fun. The oil being too hot. Then too cold. Then splattering on me. Then splattering on the dog. My fingers being covered in thick, pasty, flour/liquid goop. The house smelling like WE LIVE AT KFC.

That being said, this chicken turned out great, as far as fried chicken goes. Especially considering I was Skyping with my two best friends while in the midst of frying. I figured if I was going to go down (literally) in flames, I may as well broadcast it. At least they could call 911 if they witnessed me engulfed in a massive grease fire.

Grease fire averted, tasty fried chicken successfully made. Extra-crispy indeed. I even skipped the brining portion of the recipe, and the chicken was still moist and flavorful. If you’re a fan of fried chicken, be sure to check this recipe out.

Get the recipe for Extra Crispy Fried Chicken HERE!

For more recipes straight from the cover of food magazines, check out my Cook The Cover Archive!

8 Responses to “Extra-Crispy Fried Chicken”

1. Marjory @ Dinner-Mom — September 19, 2013 at 7:19 am

What a great idea for a series. I’m not much of fried chicken fan either. But, my hubby is!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — September 19th, 2013 @ 12:44 pm

That’s how it is in my household, too, Marjory!

2. Jane's Adventures in Dinner — September 19, 2013 at 10:01 am

This is an AWESOME series! I will gladly eat your fried chicken for you. Hot or cold C:

3. Melissa {Persnickety Plates} — September 19, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I refuse to fry (or let my husband fry) in our house. This chicken looks awesome though. We had one of those little deep fryers for awhile but I didn’t want to change the grease so I threw the whole thing out. haha

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — September 19th, 2013 @ 8:03 pm

That totally sounds like something I would do! Hilarious!

4. Nancy — September 21, 2013 at 9:16 pm

You’re a braver woman than I am, Lori! Your poor dog. And I’m glad you didn’t meet your maker via a freak grease fire incident. I will never deep fry in my home. I used to work at Taco Time and after standing in front of the deep fryer all day, making mexi-fries, I stank like stale oil for days. I refuse to make my home smell that way. That being said, I LOOOOOOOVE fried chicken and yours looks phenomenal! So crispy and golden!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — September 22nd, 2013 @ 9:10 am

Yeah, this chicken was pretty good, but I’m still not sure it was worth it. Frying at home is just….gross. My house smelled for days! I’ll leave it to the pros from now on.