Meyer Lemon Bars with Poppyseed Crust

Meyer Lemon Bars with Poppyseed Crust - A flaky poppyseed crust topped with tart and sweet Meyer lemon filling. | foxeslovelemons.com

You know how Americans dread tax season? That was never really true for me. It seemed like I almost always got a small refund, or just owed a couple of dollars. Literally, one year I had to write a check to The State of Michigan for one dollar. They couldn’t just write that off? But this year was different.

This year marked my first year of being self-employed, and having approximately thirty sources of income via a variety of freelance jobs. Tax season this year tough, to say the least. Rounding up all of those documents and receipts, trying to explain to our tax preparer how anybody could possibly make money writing a food blog, and realizing that I should be paying taxes quarterly from here on out was anything but fun.

The only thing getting me through that tax appointment? Knowing that a big bowl of Meyer lemons was waiting for me at home. Knowing that those would soon become Meyer lemon bars. Knowing that I’d be eating Meyer lemon bars and drinking a Meyer lemon cocktail soon somehow soothed my tax anxiety. I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from the tax appointment to pick up some POPPY seeds for the crust. If you follow me on Instagram, you may have noticed that my grocery store finally corrected the little typo in their bulk bin labeling system. te he he.

The tail end of Meyer lemon season coincides with the early days of Spring each year (and the end of tax season). While I’m sad to say goodbye to Meyers for another year, it’ll be worth it when I’m riding my bike outside, hosting backyard BBQs, and playing kickball with my friends.

Be sure to connect with Dixie Crystals on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Pinterest.

Meyer Lemon Bars with Poppyseed Crust

• 6 large eggs
  • 2-1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup Meyer lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons grated Meyer lemon zest

Powdered Sugar, for dusting

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Make Poppyseed Crust: In bowl of standing mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour and salt; mix until just combined. Stir in poppyseeds. With floured hands, press dough into 9x13x2-inch baking pan. Transfer to refrigerator; chill 20 minutes.
  3. Transfer crust to oven; bake 15 minutes or until very lightly browned.
  4. Meanwhile, make Filling: In large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, flour, lemon juice and zest. Pour over crust; transfer to oven and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until filling is set.
  5. Transfer to wire rack; let cool completely before cutting. Dust with powdered sugar for serving.

Adapted from Ina Garten.

Making one of my recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on my Facebook page, or uploading to Instagram or Twitter with the tag #foxeslovelemons. It would make my day!

15453 Std Manual Cover

This post is sponsored by Dixie Crystals. All opinions are my own. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography.

Yum

Stay Connected

46 Responses to “Meyer Lemon Bars with Poppyseed Crust”

1. Renee Dobbs — March 30, 2014 at 7:23 am

Giggling over the labeling of the poppy seeds and loving these wonderful bars.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — March 31st, 2014 @ 1:04 pm

It makes me giggle EVERY time I see it, so I kept the old bag, actually. Just poured the new POPPY seeds into the old bag 🙂

2. Marjory @ Dinner-Mom — March 30, 2014 at 8:08 am

I think you should send the poppy seed packages in to a late show! But…love the lemon and poppy seed combination. These look delicious and gorgeous!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — March 31st, 2014 @ 1:05 pm

Oh my gosh, that’s such a good idea! I do need to send this in! Which show is it that does the funny labels and signs?

3. Alice Choi — March 30, 2014 at 9:20 am

Lori, oh my gawd, I feel the same way about my taxes! and I also didn’t know that we should be paying taxes quarterly . . live and learn. and thank goodness you have a plate of these fabulous babies. love Meyer lemons!!!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — March 31st, 2014 @ 1:05 pm

Ugh yeah, you don’t HAVE to pay quarterly, but dependent on your situation, it can save you a bit of money/headache. But, I’m no financial advisor, so don’t listen to me 🙂

4. cupcakekalechip — March 30, 2014 at 9:25 am

That typo – too funny! I love these bars. The poppyseed crust is a genius idea for changing the usual lemon bars!

5. Tammi — March 30, 2014 at 9:58 am

You had me at lemon girl! Lemon anything! Love the poppy seeds, congrats on making it a year that is so awesome! I have to admit to you though that as I was reading my eyes were drawn to a couple of the recipes you have going on in your side bar haha!

6. Cindys Recipes — March 30, 2014 at 10:19 am

Lemon and poppyseed is a classic delicious combo! I’m with you on the tax prep. I need to keep up to date records to make it easier!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — March 31st, 2014 @ 1:07 pm

Ugh, I try to keep detailed records, but it is SO much work. What a pain!

7. Liz — March 30, 2014 at 10:40 am

These look spectacular, Lori! My daughter eats lemon poppyseed muffins nearly every day….and now I can treat her to a dessert form of her favorite!!!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — March 31st, 2014 @ 1:08 pm

Thanks, Liz. The main reason I made these is because I also love lemon-poppyseed muffins, but have never been successful making them at home. No matter which recipe I use, they ALWAYS save in when I take them out of the oven! Lemon bars rarely cave 😉

8. Family Foodie — March 30, 2014 at 11:06 am

I am totally drooling over these bars… love how moist they look!!

9. Constance — March 30, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Hahaha! That’s funny! I LOVE lemon & poppyseed together! I seriously feel the need to go bake now!

10. Hezzi-D — March 30, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Lemon bars are one of my favorites and this poppyseed crust sounds so unique and delicious.

11. supperforasteal — March 30, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Oh my gosh I was looking for lemon poppyseed muffins at the store the other day and then decided I would just make them myself, but I’m pretty sure these would be a way better option 🙂

12. Courtney @ Neighborfood — March 30, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Hehehe…that labeling issue still cracks me up. I wonder if they noticed a drop in their poopy seed sales. 🙂 I love lemon bars, but never thought to add poppy seeds. Duh! They’re a match made in heaven.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — March 31st, 2014 @ 1:09 pm

Haha yeah, I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when they realized their error. Because it was labeled like that for YEARS!

13. Carla — March 30, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Ugh taxes. I was the same way – never really had any challenge until the blog came along. Love how you made a poppy (without the typo 😉 ) seed crust instead of a regular crust.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — March 31st, 2014 @ 1:09 pm

I love blogging, but realizing that I’ll never get a tax refund again? Boo!

14. Sophia Del Gigante — March 30, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Oh an this looks amazing! Wanna try these, wish it weren’t so hard to find meyer lemons in NY!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — March 31st, 2014 @ 1:10 pm

I would recommend just making them with half lemon juice and half fresh orange juice, Sophia. The flavor will be very similar 🙂

15. Shaina Wizov — March 30, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Haha gotta love supermarket labels… Lemon and POPPYseeds, great combo!

16. debattinella — March 31, 2014 at 7:04 am

Love these bars Lori! Great idea to use POPPY seeds in the crust 🙂

17. Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere — March 31, 2014 at 10:56 am

What a fun adaptation on lemon bars. Lemon and poppy seeds are meant for each other!

18. Jennie @themessybakerblog — March 31, 2014 at 12:21 pm

This was my first year claiming the income from my site as well. So not fun. So many receipts. Yuck! I think these bars could make it all better. Love!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — March 31st, 2014 @ 1:11 pm

SO many receipts. And my accountant suggested I make COPIES of all of the receipts in case they start to fade, since you’re supposed to keep them for three or five years or something. Not sure that’s going to happen….

19. Lori | Foxes Love Lemons — March 31, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Yeah, after looking at everybody’s recipes this week, I want to bake up a storm!

20. Lori | Foxes Love Lemons — March 31, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Thanks Heather!

21. littleredkitchen — April 1, 2014 at 5:35 pm

You DO realize from now on I’m going to refer to them as poopy seeds in my head? Thanks for that? Also thanks for these bars because what is a better combination than lemons and poppy seeds?

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — April 1st, 2014 @ 6:26 pm

Hehe, I know, that label has ruined me forever too. Even when I’m at a bakery, part of me is always afraid I’m going to blurt out “1 poopy seed muffin, please!”

22. CakePants — April 1, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Oh no…that is one unfortunate, unfortunate typo. Glad they fixed it! Wow, these bars look amazing!! I love lemon bars and love poppy seeds, but have never tried combining the two – I’ll definitely have to give this a try ASAP!

23. Lori | Foxes Love Lemons — April 2, 2014 at 11:31 am

Thanks so much, CakePants 🙂 I always keep poppyseeds in the freezer, but honestly only use them when lemons are involved!

24. Karen @ The Food Charlatan — April 11, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Lori, my best friend just sent me this pin! And I looked at the bottom and I was like that’s Lori!! These look genius and right up my ally (as any best friend would know). Loooooove meyers. So good. oh, and poopy seeds?? bahahahahahaha

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — April 14th, 2014 @ 9:26 am

Too funny, Karen! That’s happened to me before too (a friend sending me a pin or link and me being like “wait a minute…..this is [insert blog friend name here]”). hahaha.

25. Katie Vaz — April 16, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Hi Lori! I just discovered your site while looking for a lemon bar recipe. Do you know about how many meyer lemons will make a cup of juice? I have 5 in my fridge right now and am wondering if that is more than enough? Can’t wait to make these 🙂 Also the old poppy seed labels just made my day.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — April 16th, 2014 @ 9:39 pm

Hi Katie! So glad you found me 🙂 I believed I used 7-9 Meyers for this recipe. Since you don’t have that many, you could round out the juice with regular lemon juice or orange juice. It’ll be just as good, promise!

26. Andrea — December 24, 2014 at 10:36 am

Wonderful and easy recipe!  I had a bumper crop of Meyer lemons this year and everyone loves the bars

• Lori Yates replied: — December 28th, 2014 @ 12:27 pm

That’s so nice to hear, Andrea! I so wish I lived in a place that would allow me to grow lemon trees. I do have a small potted Meyer lemon tree that I have to bring inside for the winter, but the yields haven’t been too good :-/