Mushroom Duxelles & Asparagus Grilled Cheese #SundaySupper

Mushroom & Asparagus Grilled Cheese - Crusty bread filled with a sautéed mushroom mixture, roasted asparagus and Gruyere cheese. | foxeslovelemons.com

Some of my culinary school classes started at 5:30 in the morning. By the time I got to school, many of the chefs and teaching assistants had already been hard at work for an hour or more, prepping the food needed for the day’s service at the student-run restaurant. The hardest part of those early classes wasn’t actually waking up before dawn. It was the smells I encountered when I walked in.

You see, I’m pretty sensitive to smells in general (my husband calls me a “super sniffer”), but especially in the morning. When I was in the baking and pastry classes, it was no problem – who doesn’t want to take a whiff of freshly baked croissants? But for the savory classes, some days I would saunter in and be hit with an aroma of roasted veal bones, poached garlic and smoked salmon. At 5:30 in the AM. It was enough to make me want to throw down my chef’s coat and run back to my car.

However, there was one savory smell that I couldn’t get enough of, no matter what time of day – the aroma of mushroom duxelles (pronounced “dook-SELL”). Duxelles is a classic French mixture of minced mushrooms, shallots and garlic cooked in butter, and finished with wine and cream. It has an incredibly deep, earthy flavor and aroma that is intoxicating. It’s sometimes used to add rich flavor to soups and sauces, but is primarily used as a stuffing – you can stuff chicken breasts with it, or wrap puff pastry around it for an appetizer. Making it was one of my favorite things to do in school.

For this week’s #SundaySupper, sponsored by Gallo Family Vineyards, we are celebrating National Grilled Cheese Month! One of my favorite cheeses to use for a fancy sandwich is nutty and salty Gruyere. And since mushrooms are a natural flavor pairing for Gruyere, it was time to fill my house with the lovely aroma of duxelles!

I used my food processor (highly recommended) to chop up the mushrooms, shallots and garlic nice and tiny. I sautéed them in butter, and finished them with some cream and Gallo Family Vineyards Pinot Grigio. The notes of citrus from the wine added a nice counterpoint to the earthy richness of the mushrooms.

I slathered this glorious duxelle onto some crusty bread, and piled it with some in-season asparagus and slices of gruyere. I toasted the sandwiches in a skillet until everything was warmed through and the cheese was oozingly melty.

Use the Gallo store locator to find a bottle of this Pinot Grigio for yourself, grab some mushrooms, and enjoy the smells! Also, be sure to connect with Gallo Family Vineyards on FacebookTwitterInstagram and YouTube.

Mushroom Duxelles & Asparagus Grilled Cheese

Cook Time: 30 minutes

• 2 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 2 shallots, peeled and halved
  • 12 ounces button mushrooms, wiped clean with a damp towel; halved
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • Kosher salt and ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons Gallo Family Vineyards Pinot Grigio
  • 1 tablespoon heavy cream
  • 12 medium asparagus spears, ends trimmed; cut crosswise in half
  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 8 slices crusty bread
  • 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, thinly sliced

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place garlic, shallots and mushrooms in food processor and pulse until everything is very finely chopped. In medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushroom mixture; season with salt and pepper. Cook 20 to 22 minutes or until mixture is browned and all moisture is evaporated; stirring frequently. Stir in wine and cream; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
  2. Meanwhile, place asparagus on rimmed baking pan and lightly spray with cooking spray. Transfer to oven and roast 5 minutes or until just barely tender.
  3. Spread 4 slices of bread with mushroom mixture. Divide asparagus and cheese over mushroom mixture; top with remaining bread slices. Lightly spray large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray; place sandwiches in cold skillet. Turn on stove for medium heat. Cook 6 minutes or until toasted; flip sandwiches and cook an additional 4 minutes or until both sides are toasted and cheese is melted.

Don’t forget to check out all of the delicious Sunday Supper recipes:

SSbadge-200x200Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here - Sunday Supper Movement.

GFV-family-logoCompensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog, and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development.

35 Responses to “Mushroom Duxelles & Asparagus Grilled Cheese #SundaySupper”

1. Renee Dobbs — April 6, 2014 at 7:18 am

I’m absolutely certain I could throw down on this sandwich any time of the day. Yummy!

2. Kumar's Kitchen — April 6, 2014 at 7:35 am

a delicious way to enjoy asparagus,thanks so much for sharing :-)

3. Cindys Recipes — April 6, 2014 at 7:57 am

You had me with Mushroom Duxelle and Gruyere! I need one now!

4. Pingback: Parmesan Crusted Baked Grilled Cheese #SundaySupper - Alida's Kitchen

5. Pingback: Grilled Mascarpone on Chocolate Cherry Bread with Blackberry Cabernet Compote #SundaySupper - Desserts Required

6. Pingback: French Onion Grilled Cheese #SundaySupper - Family Foodie — Family Foodie

7. Pingback: Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese for #SundaySupper - The Dinner-Mom

8. Pingback: Apple, Prosciutto and Gruyere Grilled Cheese for @GalloFamily #SundaySupper | Hip Foodie Mom

9. Family Foodie — April 6, 2014 at 8:25 am

What a fantastic recipe and gorgeous photography! Well done.

10. Marjory @ Dinner-Mom — April 6, 2014 at 8:36 am

Heavenly! I looove mushroom duxelles, but don’t venture into that territory too often. Not sure why because this grilled cheese looks divine!

11. Pingback: Kentucky Hot Brown Grilled Cheese Sandwich - Cupcakes & Kale Chips

12. Jennifer Drummond — April 6, 2014 at 8:49 am

What a perfect vegetarian sandwich!! I love that you uses asparagus! What a great idea!! Just beautiful!

13. Liz — April 6, 2014 at 8:53 am

Mmmmmm….love your tribute to spring with this magnificent grilled cheese! I could put duxelles on everything!!!!

14. Pingback: Celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month with #SundaySupper

15. Alice Choi — April 6, 2014 at 9:19 am

oh yes. this is the ultimate veggie lovers grilled cheese. Well done, my friend. Well done!!

16. Pingback: Brie, Ham, and Blackberry Grilled Cheese Recipe - Healthy. Delicious.

17. Pingback: Roast Beef Horseradish Arugula Grilled Cheese — Shockingly Delicious

18. Jennie @themessybakerblog — April 6, 2014 at 10:39 am

This is one gorgeous grilled cheese sandwich. You can’t go wrong with asparagus and melted cheese. Yum!

19. Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious — April 6, 2014 at 10:44 am

I want your asparagus bouquet too!

20. Heather @girlichef.com — April 6, 2014 at 11:04 am

I was exactly the opposite, I looked forward to those smells at ungodly hours of the morning ;). Of course, the bakery smells were still my favorite to wake up to ;). This looks ridiculously amazing, and I would happily eat it for breakfast at 5 am.

21. Pingback: Greek Salad Grilled Cheese for #SundaySupper | Ruffles & Truffles

22. Pingback: Cafe Zinfandel Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese #SundaySupper - In The Kitchen With KP : In The Kitchen With KP

23. Courtney @ Neighborfood — April 6, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I’m so glad to have a recipe for mushroom duxelles now. I’ve never tried it before, but that sounds like it’s going to be my new favorite thing. So versatile too!

24. cupcakekalechip — April 6, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Wow, asparagus and mushrooms are two of my faves. Pile them on bread with melty cheese and I might be in heaven!

25. Melanie Bauer — April 6, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Two of my favorites – mushrooms and asparagus – in a single sandwich? YES!

26. Betsy Cohen — April 6, 2014 at 2:49 pm

I’m with you…early morning aromas should be heavenly sweet EXCEPT when we are talking about duxelle! I love your addition of asparagus to this delish grilled cheese.

27. Tara — April 6, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Gorgeous Lori, that is the best looking sandwish EVAAAA!!!

28. Shaina Wizov — April 6, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I can imagine walking into a room at 5 am and smelling this sandwich…. Yum!

29. Pingback: French Onion and Fennel Grilled Cheese Sandwich #GrilledCheeseMonth - kimchi MOM ™

30. Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere — April 7, 2014 at 9:50 am

We have some asparagus in the fridge that I have been wanting to try in a grilled cheese! Thanks for the inspiration!

31. Jane's Adventures in Dinner — April 7, 2014 at 9:57 am

OH! I’ve not even thought of asparagus in my grilled cheese and with that gorgeous wine…

32. Pingback: Caramelized Onion, Mushroom and Arugula Grilled Cheese #SundaySupper - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen | The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

33. Constance — April 7, 2014 at 12:48 pm

This looks like a piece of art! Veggies & Cheese in perfectly grilled bread. yum!

34. littleredkitchen — April 9, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Even when I went through my mushroom hating phase (that would be uh up until I turned 30) I loved the smell of mushrooms cooking with butter. Now that I like the shrooms I can enjoy the smell and the taste!

35. Katie — April 22, 2014 at 9:14 am

Excuse me for a moment as I drool all over my keyboard. This sounds INSANELY wonderful! The funny thing is: I love the smell of mushrooms. LOVE it. Especially with garlic. But I don’t eat them very often. Only when they are chopped small and I don’t have large chunks. This sounds PERFECT for me!