Mushroom Duxelles & Asparagus Grilled Cheese #SundaySupper
Some of my culinary school classes started at 5:30 in the morning. By the time I got to school, many of the chefs and teaching assistants had already been hard at work for an hour or more, prepping the food needed for the day’s service at the student-run restaurant. The hardest part of those early classes wasn’t actually waking up before dawn. It was the smells I encountered when I walked in.
You see, I’m pretty sensitive to smells in general (my husband calls me a “super sniffer”), but especially in the morning. When I was in the baking and pastry classes, it was no problem – who doesn’t want to take a whiff of freshly baked croissants? But for the savory classes, some days I would saunter in and be hit with an aroma of roasted veal bones, poached garlic and smoked salmon. At 5:30 in the AM. It was enough to make me want to throw down my chef’s coat and run back to my car.
However, there was one savory smell that I couldn’t get enough of, no matter what time of day – the aroma of mushroom duxelles (pronounced “dook-SELL”). Duxelles is a classic French mixture of minced mushrooms, shallots and garlic cooked in butter, and finished with wine and cream. It has an incredibly deep, earthy flavor and aroma that is intoxicating. It’s sometimes used to add rich flavor to soups and sauces, but is primarily used as a stuffing – you can stuff chicken breasts with it, or wrap puff pastry around it for an appetizer. Making it was one of my favorite things to do in school.
For this week’s #SundaySupper, sponsored by Gallo Family Vineyards, we are celebrating National Grilled Cheese Month! One of my favorite cheeses to use for a fancy sandwich is nutty and salty Gruyere. And since mushrooms are a natural flavor pairing for Gruyere, it was time to fill my house with the lovely aroma of duxelles!
I used my food processor (highly recommended) to chop up the mushrooms, shallots and garlic nice and tiny. I sautéed them in butter, and finished them with some cream and Gallo Family Vineyards Pinot Grigio. The notes of citrus from the wine added a nice counterpoint to the earthy richness of the mushrooms.
I slathered this glorious duxelle onto some crusty bread, and piled it with some in-season asparagus and slices of gruyere. I toasted the sandwiches in a skillet until everything was warmed through and the cheese was oozingly melty.
Use the Gallo store locator to find a bottle of this Pinot Grigio for yourself, grab some mushrooms, and enjoy the smells! Also, be sure to connect with Gallo Family Vineyards on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
Yield: 4 servings Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Making one of my recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on my Facebook page, or uploading to Instagram or Twitter with the tag #foxeslovelemons. It would make my day!
Mushroom Duxelles & Asparagus Grilled Cheese
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Making one of my recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on my Facebook page, or uploading to Instagram or Twitter with the tag #foxeslovelemons. It would make my day!
Don’t forget to check out all of the delicious Sunday Supper recipes:
- Apple, Prosciutto and Gruyere Grilled Cheese by Hip Foodie Mom
- Berry Chocolate Panini Sandwich with Wine Reduction Sauce by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Brie, Ham, and Blackberry Grilled Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Cafe Zinfandel Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese by In The Kitchen With KP
- Caramelized Onion, Mushroom & Arugula Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by Family Foodie
- Funky Monkey Grilled Cheese Sammie by The Messy Baker
- Greek Salad Grilled Cheese by Ruffles & Truffles
- Grilled Cheese & Bison Sandwiches by The Foodie Army Wife
- Grilled Goat Cheese w/ Tomatoes & Tarragon on Olive Bread by girlichef
- Grilled Mascarpone on Chocolate Cherry Bread with Blackberry Cabernet Compote by Desserts Required
- Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich by Magnolia Days
- Honey Glazed Peach and Pork Tenderloin Grilled Cheese by Melanie Makes
- Kentucky Hot Brown Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mediterranean Grilled Cheese by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese by The Dinner-Mom
- Mushroom Duxelles & Asparagus Grilled Cheese by Foxes Love Lemons
- Parmesan Crusted Baked Grilled Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Roast Beef Horseradish Arugula Grilled Cheese by Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Red Pepper, Feta, and Olive Grilled Cheese by Neighborfood
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here – Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog, and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development.Yum