Squash and Ricotta Gemelli Saute #WeekdaySupper
All over the internet for the past few weeks, I’ve been reading tales of giant zucchini. Seems like it was a really good growing season for them this year, and people have lots of this vegetable to use up! While I sadly do not have enough sunshine in my yard to make any sort of vegetable garden possible, I love buying zucchini and summer squash at the farmer’s market.
This simple squash and ricotta pasta dish, adapted from a Mario Batali recipe, is a #weekdaysupper standby in my house. It may look humble, but when everything is stirred together, it’s sort of magical. Most of the time, I make it using just one medium zucchini and one summer squash. I saute those until they are tender (and cook the pasta at the same time). This time, I got all fancy and put some grape tomatoes and capers in there.
The “sauce” is just an exercise in stirring together some ricotta, hot pasta water, Parmesan, herbs and red pepper flakes. You don’t even need to heat it up! You just throw the hot pasta and sauteed vegetables in your bowl, dollop the ricotta mixture on top, and stir until everything is combined and warm. It’s a great vegetarian meal, but sometimes I top it with grilled chicken or Italian sausage. If you’re the proud owner of a mega zucchini, THIS is what you should do with it.
- 12 ounces gemelli or penne pasta
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium summer squash, halved lengthwise then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1-1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Maldon or other flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat large pot of salted water to boiling over high heat. Add pasta and cook as label directs. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta cooking water, then drain pasta. Return to saucepot and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add squash and zucchini and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned and tender, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and capers; cook 2 minutes.
- While vegetables cook, in medium bowl, stir together ricotta, Parmesan, basil, red pepper flakes and reserved pasta cooking water.
- To serve, divide pasta between 4 bowls. Top with vegetables. Dollop with ricotta mixture and serve sprinkled with Maldon salt and ground black pepper. Stir and enjoy.
Monday – The Hand That Rocks The Ladle – Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi
Tuesday – Healthy. Delicious. – Thai Corn Chowder
Wednesday – Daily Dish Recipes – Guacamole Avocado Pasta
Friday – Eat, Move, Shine – Groovy Green Guacamole Wraps (Vegan)