Strawberry Tart with Moscato Lemon Curd

Strawberry Tart with Moscato Lemon Curd - An elegant and beautiful summer dessert that tastes like strawberry lemonade with a hint of moscato wine! | foxeslovelemons.com

Have you ever said something in jest that came back to haunt you? For my friend Katy and I, it was telling our husbands that they were “the husbands of the year” on January 2nd, 2013.

We were just finishing up a vacation in New Orleans with a big group of friends. We’d stayed out far too late on our last night in town. The following morning we were supposed to be packing our suitcases, finding a cab to take us to the airport, and cleaning up our rental house. But Katy and I were so tired from the long holiday, we just wanted to stay in bed. Our husbands, both of them morning people, knew it was up to them to get us ready, or we’d be staying in the Big Easy indefinitely.

Jeff and Eric packed our suitcases, brewed some coffee, and even went to the party store around the corner and fetched granola bars. By this point, Katy and I had moved from our beds to the couch, but were still in no mood to be awake and heading home. Watching the guys load our luggage into the back of a cab, we had a moment of weakness. One of us said “You guys are the best husbands,” with the other chiming in, “You’re like the husbands of the year.”

Husbands of the Year

We knew it was a mistake the moment we said these things. It was only two days into the new year and already, we’d named them the husbands of the year. For the rest of 2013, we were constantly reminded of their titles. It became a hashtag. Egos were never bigger. Jokes abounded over what their prize for this award would be, although no prizes were ever bestowed. #HOTY became a bargaining tool in every situation possible. Katy and I vowed: never again.

When life gives you lemons and moscato, you make moscato lemon curd. I thought nothing could be better than classic lemon curd, but I was wrong. The touch of white moscato in this version takes it to a whole new level. For this simple summer tart, I just spread the curd into a prepared tart crust and topped with fresh strawberries. It tastes like strawberry lemonade, in a tart, with a moscato twist.

As I was finishing up this tart, Jeff came into the kitchen and did all of my dishes for me. #HOTY 2014. SHHHHHHHH.

Use the Gallo store locator to find a bottle of moscato for yourself and your #HOTY (and use this coupon for $1 off!). Also, be sure to connect with Gallo Family Vineyards on FacebookTwitterInstagram and YouTube.

Strawberry Tart with Moscato Lemon Curd

Cook Time: 7 minutes

For the Moscato Lemon Curd:

• 3 large egg yolks
  • 2 large whole eggs
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 2 tablespoons Gallo Family Vineyards Moscato
  • 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed

For the Strawberry Tart:

• One prepared tart or pie shell
  • 12 ounces strawberries, hulled

1. Make the Lemon Curd: In small saucepan, whisk together egg yolks, eggs, sugar, lemon juice and zest, and moscato. Cook over medium heat 7 to 8 minutes or until mixture is thick enough to coat spoon; whisking constantly.
  2. Remove from heat. Stir in butter a few cubes at a time, stirring until incorporated after each addition. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a storage container. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 1 week before using.
  3. Make the Strawberry Tart: Spread chilled Moscato Lemon Curd in prepared tart crust (you may have a little bit of curd left over; reserve for another use). Top with strawberries, hulled side down. This tart is best served immediately after assembly.

Making one of my recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on my Facebook page, or uploading to Instagram or Twitter with the tag #foxeslovelemons. It would make my day!

GFV-family-logo Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography.

Yum

Stay Connected

50 Responses to “Strawberry Tart with Moscato Lemon Curd”

1. Renee Dobbs — May 4, 2014 at 7:11 am

I’m just giggling over the #HOTY story. And loving your tart too.

2. Jennifer Miller — May 4, 2014 at 8:21 am

Strawberry, lemon, wine all together in a tart — delicious and perfect for a party! I love your recipe!

3. Jennifer Drummond — May 4, 2014 at 9:05 am

Yum! Your tart is gorgeous and I love that it is lemon cord with strawberries! Looks simply incredible! Perfect pairing for Moscato!! Love it!

4. Jennie @themessybakerblog — May 4, 2014 at 9:33 am

I know all too well how a few nice words can affect the demeanor of one hubby. This post cracked me up. I was thinking, “Wow, I can totally relate to Lori.” Love this creative recipe. Your tart is gorgeous. Pinned.

5. CakePants — May 4, 2014 at 10:57 am

This is practically all my favorite things, combined into one dessert!! I must make this, and soon. Moscato lemon curd sounds delightful!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — May 5th, 2014 @ 9:48 am

Thanks so much! I’m pretty happy that I made a TON of extra lemon curd and froze it for later 🙂

• CakePants replied: — May 5th, 2014 @ 8:33 pm

I never thought to freeze lemon curd (I think I had always figured the texture might change), but that’s a great idea!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — May 5th, 2014 @ 9:00 pm

Soooo….yeah. I was SUPER nervous about it because it was the best lemon curd I’d ever made, and I didn’t want to risk ruining it by freezing it. But, I did a ton of research, and everybody said to just go for it. I’ll probably break it out later this summer!

6. Family Foodie — May 4, 2014 at 10:58 am

Absolutely gorgeous and you are married to a fantastic guy!

7. kimchi_mom — May 4, 2014 at 11:11 am

Those strawberries are perfect…almost too perfect! I will be attempting this tart soon!

And silly you for throwing around those words so carelessly! 😉 But then again, you were in a weakened state…

8. Courtney @ Neighborfood — May 4, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Haha! I have TOTALLY had those moments. Most often it’s in arguments where I KNOW I’m right and then discover he was actually right. Ooops. There’s nothing that could be wrong about this dessert though. I knew it was going to be amazing when I saw that bright yellow lemon curd, but dang, with the strawberries? It looks irresistible!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — May 5th, 2014 @ 9:49 am

Hahaha, I’m glad you can relate. Well, not really. But you know what I mean 🙂

9. Melanie Bauer — May 4, 2014 at 1:25 pm

A gorgeous tart with a perfect flavor combination!

10. Cindys Recipes — May 4, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Lemon curd with strawberries! It doesn’t get any better than that!

11. DB-The Foodie Stuntman — May 4, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Wow! From a guy’s prospective the title HOTY is a lot to live up to. Tell your husband he’s lucky because he could be in my situation where Mrs. Stuntman likes to call me Doofus of the Year. I love my lemon curd and I can just imagine the Moscato elevating it.

12. Hezzi-D — May 4, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Beautiful! I just made a batch of lemon curd last week and I wish I had added the moscato. Definitely pinning this to make for next time!

13. Renee Goerger — May 4, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Moscato Lemon Curd? Such a brilliant idea, and a beautiful tart!!!
    Renee – Kudos Kitchen

14. The Ninja Baker — May 4, 2014 at 6:28 pm

You may have one of the best husbands in the world. However, he may have one of the best wives in the world. Especially if you are concocting luscious desserts such as your strawberry tart!

15. The Hubs — May 4, 2014 at 7:12 pm

As the focal point of this post, I am happy to say I have a WOTY as well. I am so proud of you. This dessert tastes sooooo good and embodied you perfectly – love of lemons, skills from culinary school, and whimsical creativity.

16. Tammi — May 4, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Oh you had me at strawberry never mind lemon…..and love your story! Sounds like my husband would get along with yours ha!

17. Shaina Wizov — May 4, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Nothing says summer more than lemon, strawberries, and Moscato!

18. Betsy Cohen — May 4, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Beyond gorgeous and delish recipe. WAY too funny about #HOTY 2014…just don’t tell him…YET!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — May 5th, 2014 @ 9:51 am

Ugh, because he truly is a HOTY, he reads this blog. So the cat’s out of the bag, Betsy. haha.

19. Alida — May 4, 2014 at 11:35 pm

What a gorgeous tart with all of those strawberries and lemon curd. Lemon curd is my FAVORITE…and I can’t wait to try it made WITH Moscato!

20. littleredkitchen — May 5, 2014 at 12:34 am

OMG #HOTY! You have to watch what you say in front of the husbands because they never forget! I once gave Braden when we were first dating a gift certificate for a “day of fun” with no expiration date. He held on to it for years and finally used it but then tried to use it again numerous times claiming there were no terms! Men! So yeah and then there’s this. All over it.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — May 5th, 2014 @ 9:52 am

Well, a “day of fun” sounds like you enjoyed it too, so I think Braden should be able to use that one a few more times 🙂

21. Webicurean — May 6, 2014 at 11:25 am

That’s a gorgeous tart! Really enjoyed the #HOTY story too! Better not tell them my hub’s in the running too 😉

22. Angie — May 6, 2014 at 12:52 pm

This is a stunner, Lori. I love how smooth and creamy the lemon curd looks.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — May 6th, 2014 @ 3:09 pm

Want to know a secret? There’s a reason it’s so smooth. The reason is that my fine-mesh strainer was in the dishwasher, and the dishwasher was running, when the curd finished cooking. Since I knew it needed to be strained right away, I had no choice but to grab this EXTRA fine-mesh splatter guard that fits onto one of my skillets. It took me a half hour, but I passed all the curd through that thing. So yeah, it’s EXTRA smooth 🙂

• Angie replied: — May 6th, 2014 @ 11:33 pm

Thanks, Lori. And you know what? I do have a splatter guard 🙂

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — May 7th, 2014 @ 12:07 am

Too funny! I’m not sure I can totally recommend using it instead of a strainer, because it was SO tedious. But, it really is the smoothest lemon curd I’ve ever made, so maybe it was worth it? It could go either way, really. Although, when I was standing in the kitchen pressing that stuff through the splatter guard, there were curse words.

23. Nancy — May 6, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Lol you should’ve told the husbands that after starting the year out on such a high, it was only downhill from there. They had to WORK to keep that #HOTY title! As for this tart. Ermagaaaaaaawd. Lady, it’s gorgeous. A work of art. That curd looks so ridiculously creamy and luscious. I LOVE that there’s moscato in there. It’s the #tartoftheyear! 😉

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — May 6th, 2014 @ 10:54 pm

Thanks, Nancy! It only it wasn’t so hard to cut, but oh well 🙂

The problem is that these husbands thought they do no wrong, since they were already awarded #HOTY! They didn’t work to keep their titles at all! haha.