Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Stir-Fry #SundaySupper

Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Stir Fry – a quick, heathy, gluten-free dish that takes just 15 minutes to make!

What’s your go-to dish when you want to make a meal using just one pot? One Pot Recipes is the theme of this week’s #SundaySupper, hosted by Amy @ Kimchi Mom. Truth be told, there aren’t many one pot meals in the Foxes Love Lemons household. Culinary school taught me a lot of things, but primarily, how to dirty up a lot of dishes, and quickly. For most of the second-year classes at my school, a team of dishwashers did our dishes. This was far too easy to get used to. At home, my husband washes all of my dishes. #husbandoftheyear.

When I think of one-pot meals, I immediately reach for my wok. It’s been a faithful friend in times of produce overabundance (like when I subscribed to a CSA). It also reliably produces avery fast meal, and it’s simple to make little more than a huge pile of veggies taste great.

To truly be a one pot meal, you can’t serve your stir-fry over rice, right? I figured this one pot theme was a perfect time to finally (finally!) give Tofu Shirataki noodles a try. I’d heard about these things for years…probably almost a decade. The benefits are obvious – only 20 calories for a huge bag of noodles, plus they’re gluten-free, if you require that sort of thing. The drawback was that I was scared of them. Yes, scared of a bag of noodles. So….squishy….and weird. Plus, there’s a note on the bag that says something to the effect of “make sure you rinse them to get rid of their authentic aroma.” That could only mean one thing – these “noodles” are gonna smell horrible.

In all honestly, it did smell a bit funky during the bag-opening and rinsing portion of the event. But after throwing a bunch of veggies in the wok, the authentic aroma was stifled by other, more delicious authentic aromas. After throwing every vegetable in my fridge into the wok, along with some pineapple, a quick homemade sweet & sour sauce, and those noodles that terrified me to my very core, I’m happy to report that this vegetarian stir-fry was a very tasty one pot meal indeed. The noodles tasted great, without much funkiness at all. My husband even reported that he couldn’t tell they were anything other than “regular” noodles. And then, he rejoiced when he saw the wok was the only pot to wash.

Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Stir-Fry

• 1 carrot, thinly sliced diagonally
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
  • 2 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 1 bag (8 ounces) tofu fettuccine, rinsed well
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh pineapple
  • Black sesame seeds, for garnish

1. Make Sweet & Sour Sauce: In small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
  2. Make Stir-Fry: In large skillet or wok, heat oil over medium-high heat until very hot. Add mushrooms, carrot, red pepper and jalapeño. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp, stirring frequently.
  3. Add onions, fettuccine, pineapple and Sweet & Sour Sauce. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook 2 minutes or until sauce thickens and noodles are warmed through, stirring frequently.
  4. Serve garnished with sesame seeds.

This recipe originally appeared here on the Naturebox blog

Don’t forget to check out all of the delicious Sunday Supper recipes:

“Take the chill off” Chilis, Soups, and Starters

“Put meat on your bones” Stews

“Make room for seconds” Main Dishes

“Can’t say no” Desserts

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here – Sunday Supper Movement.

44 Responses to “Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Stir-Fry #SundaySupper”

1. A_Kiasi — October 6, 2013 at 8:44 am

I so appreciate simple, attractive vegetarian meals. My mouth is watering as I type this. What a wonderful addition to the one-pot meals for #SundaySupper.

2. Marjory @ Dinner-Mom — October 6, 2013 at 9:37 am

Those noodles sound fantastic (one you get through the initial opening of the bag part.) Love the sweet and sour combination.

3. Jen @JuanitasCocina — October 6, 2013 at 10:11 am

My stir fry has never been this beautiful! Gorgeous and yummy!

4. Jennifer Drummond — October 6, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Your dish is so pretty!! I love that it is vegetarian and that you used alfredo noodles. Great idea!

5. Susan Pridmore — October 6, 2013 at 1:17 pm

What a great healthy, vegetarian meal!!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 7th, 2013 @ 7:01 pm

Thanks Susan! I always love your approval on veg meals :)

6. Stacy — October 6, 2013 at 1:20 pm

What lovely bright colors, Lori! That is one beautiful and tasty dish! I’ll bet your poor husband loved that one pot. But I suppose dishwashing is a small price to pay for the great meals you make.

7. Shannon R — October 6, 2013 at 1:39 pm

This looks so very good. I never think to put pineapple juice in my sauces and things are getting a bit boring. Going to try yours this week!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 7th, 2013 @ 7:01 pm

I bought a 6-pack of pineapple juice for some cocktail I made once, and thus, have had 5 little cans of pineapple juice in the door of my fridge FOREVER. I was determined to use them!

8. Liz — October 6, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Gorgeous, Lori! I wouldn’t even miss the lack of meat :)

9. Shannon — October 6, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I so under utilize my wok! This looks amazing. I love the colors, the flavors, all of it. Beautiful dish!

10. Nichole C — October 6, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I love meat, but can appreciate a tasty vegetarian stir-fry!

11. Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious — October 6, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I discovered shirataki noodles recently, and love them! But I know what you mean by “authentic” smell.

12. Constance — October 6, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Wow, black sesame seeds – I was wondering what those were! Great, fresh looking recipe!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 7th, 2013 @ 6:59 pm

Haha, they kind of look like little bugs if you don’t realize they’re sesame seeds, right?

13. The Hubs — October 6, 2013 at 5:09 pm

There were two surprises with this meal . . . The first was the single wok to wash. The second was how delicious tofu noodles can be. Thanks for the HOTY shout-out hon.

14. Family Foodie — October 6, 2013 at 6:15 pm

This looks amazing! So many vibrant colors and your photos are just gorgeous. The sweet and sour sauce sounds delish, too!

15. Tara — October 6, 2013 at 7:18 pm

So glad to see you using these noodles, I just got three coupons to try them from the company and haven’t bought them yet. Now I have a recipe to make with them too. Thank you!!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 7th, 2013 @ 6:59 pm

Yeah, they’re far, far better than I thought they would be!

16. Alida — October 6, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Look at those beautiful bright colors! The vegetarian in me is in love!!

17. kimchi_mom — October 7, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I’ve seen those noodles at Whole Foods and have been intrigued, but not enough to purchase them. How is the texture? Noodley?

I don’t make enough stir-fry dishes…need to change this because dinner would be on the table much quicker.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 7th, 2013 @ 6:58 pm

So, the texture is sort of akin to slightly overcooked noodles (because I generally like my noodles on the al dente side). But, I wouldn’t say they are mushy or anything – they definitely have a noodley texture!

18. supperforasteal — October 7, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Beautiful colors. I want a bowl right now! I’m very interested to try the tofu noodles. Also I wish my husband would do the dishes…

19. Kim — October 8, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Ohmigoodness, this is so perfect and pretty! Won’t stop me from digging in like an animal, though.

20. Sarah R — October 9, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I love those noodles in stir fry and sauteed tomato dishes. They don’t bake well and I wouldn’t try to fool an Italian, but this recipe looks delicious! My trick to working with them is to dump them in a strainer, add a sprinkle of Kosher salt and let drain for at least 1 hour. They soak up flavour better that way and don’t smell at all

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 10th, 2013 @ 11:06 am

Oh, that’s such a great tip, Sarah. Kind of treat them like eggplant, to get all the funkiness out :)

21. mushroomscanada — October 10, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Such a beautiful combination of mouthwatering ingredients. Love the simplicity in this dish and I can’t wait to try it! Thanks for sharing…

-Shannon

22. H — December 27, 2013 at 8:29 am

I’m not good at cooking. When u say soy sauce, is it the salty or the sweet kind?

23. Lori | Foxes Love Lemons — December 27, 2013 at 10:57 am

It’s the “salty” kind :) I just buy the regular Kikkoman kind (here in the U.S.)