Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Stir-Fry #SundaySupper
What’s your go-to dish when you want to make a meal using just one pot? One Pot Recipes is the theme of this week’s #SundaySupper, hosted by Amy @ Kimchi Mom. Truth be told, there aren’t many one pot meals in the Foxes Love Lemons household. Culinary school taught me a lot of things, but primarily, how to dirty up a lot of dishes, and quickly. For most of the second-year classes at my school, a team of dishwashers did our dishes. This was far too easy to get used to. At home, my husband washes all of my dishes. #husbandoftheyear.
When I think of one-pot meals, I immediately reach for my wok. It’s been a faithful friend in times of produce overabundance (like when I subscribed to a CSA). It also reliably produces avery fast meal, and it’s simple to make little more than a huge pile of veggies taste great.
To truly be a one pot meal, you can’t serve your stir-fry over rice, right? I figured this one pot theme was a perfect time to finally (finally!) give Tofu Shirataki noodles a try. I’d heard about these things for years…probably almost a decade. The benefits are obvious – only 20 calories for a huge bag of noodles, plus they’re gluten-free, if you require that sort of thing. The drawback was that I was scared of them. Yes, scared of a bag of noodles. So….squishy….and weird. Plus, there’s a note on the bag that says something to the effect of “make sure you rinse them to get rid of their authentic aroma.” That could only mean one thing – these “noodles” are gonna smell horrible.
In all honestly, it did smell a bit funky during the bag-opening and rinsing portion of the event. But after throwing a bunch of veggies in the wok, the authentic aroma was stifled by other, more delicious authentic aromas. After throwing every vegetable in my fridge into the wok, along with some pineapple, a quick homemade sweet & sour sauce, and those noodles that terrified me to my very core, I’m happy to report that this vegetarian stir-fry was a very tasty one pot meal indeed. The noodles tasted great, without much funkiness at all. My husband even reported that he couldn’t tell they were anything other than “regular” noodles. And then, he rejoiced when he saw the wok was the only pot to wash.
Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Stir-Fry
Yield: 2 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
For the Sweet & Sour Sauce:
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground fresh ginger
For the Stir-Fry:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 button mushrooms, thinly sliced,
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 bag (8 ounces) tofu fettuccine, rinsed well
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- Black sesame seeds, for garnish
- Make Sweet & Sour Sauce: In small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
- Make Stir-Fry: In large skillet or wok, heat oil over medium-high heat until very hot. Add mushrooms, carrot, red pepper and jalapeño. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp, stirring frequently.
- Add onions, fettuccine, pineapple and Sweet & Sour Sauce. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook 2 minutes or until sauce thickens and noodles are warmed through, stirring frequently.
- Serve garnished with sesame seeds.
Making one of my recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on my Facebook page, or uploading to Instagram or Twitter with the tag #foxeslovelemons. It would make my day!
Don’t forget to check out all of the delicious Sunday Supper recipes:
“Take the chill off” Chilis, Soups, and Starters
- Spicy Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Eggplant Parmesan Soup by The Texan New Yorker
- Cream of Tomato and Tortellini Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Chicken Tortilla Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Chicken Corn Chowder by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Spinach and Mushroom Tortellini Soup by Neighborfood
- Lasagna Soup by The ROXX Box
- Beefy Skillet Nacho Bake by The Weekend Gourmet
- German Onion Soup by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- White Bean and Spinach Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Korean Oxtail Soup (Kkori Gomtang) by kimchi MOM
- Fall Squash Chili by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili by Alida’s Kitchen
“Put meat on your bones” Stews
- Brew Stewed Beef by The Foodie Army Wife
- Dr. Pepper Shredded Chicken (slow cooker) by girlichef
- Pepper Beef Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Slow Cooked Beef Stew with Red Wine, Carrots and Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fabulous French Cassoulet by Webicurean
- Slowcooker Coq Au Vin by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Claypot Braised Tofu by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Moroccan Lentil Ragout with Poached Eggs by The Wimpy Vegetarian
“Make room for seconds” Main Dishes
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Kalua Pork by Shockingly Delicious
- Chicken and Dumplings by Hip Foodie Mom
- Spicy Tomato Pasta by Supper for a Steal
- Spicy Coconut Chicken Casserole by The Urban Mrs.
- Carnitas with Queso Fresco Enchiladas by Casa de Crews
- Slow Cooker Garlic and Herb Pork Chops and Veggies by Cookin’ Mimi
- Jambalaya by Country Girl in the Village
- Easy Oven Sweet & Sour Chicken by Momma’s Meals
- Asian Chicken Rice Pot by a distinguished palate
- Quick One Pot Red Beans and Rice by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Stir Fry by Foxes Love Lemons
- One-Pot Lentil Chicken by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Beef and Quince Tajine by MarocMama
- Slow-Cooked Italian Beef Sandwiches by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sunday Supper Pork and Chorizo by Family Foodie
- Mediterranean Chicken Bake by The Dinner-Mom
- Easy Chorizo, Corn and Potatoes by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Crockpot Roasted Corn, Tomato and Broccoli Risotto by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Quick ‘n Easy Asian-Style Quinoa by NinjaBaking.com
- Pan-fried Chicken with Bacon and Asparagus by Food Lust People Love
- Vegetarian Chipotle Tamale Pie by Curious Cuisiniere
- Turkey Sausage and Noodle Pesto by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pot Coconut Rice Shrimp Pilaf by Sue’s Nutrition Buzzz
- One Pot Spicy Pasta by Mess Makes Food
“Can’t say no” Desserts
- Vegan Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Busy-Day S’mores Cake by Treats & Trinkets
- Mascarpone Pumpkin Cheesecake in the Microwave by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Spice Apple Crisp by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Flourless Almond Butter Cookies by Pies and Plots