The Everything English Muffin

The Everything English Muffin: tastes exactly like an everything bagel, with just 1/3 of the calories!!

This is my tribute to a little thing I’ve invented and fallen in love with recently called The Everything English Muffin. Sometimes the best meals are the ones that take 5 minutes to to make.

Now, in a perfect world where your favorite foods don’t have calories, I would eat an everything bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon for breakfast every single morning. But alas, that’s not how the world works, and there’s that nasty rumor floating around that eating a bagel is the equivalent of eating 6 slices of bread or something. Well, it’s probably not just a rumor. It’s probably very accurate.

So, I invented a solution: spread low-fat cream cheese on a toasted english muffin, and sprinkle it with everything bagel seasoning. While a bagel with cream cheese can be about 450 calories, this will run you just 155 (for an english muffin plus a 1/2 ounce of low-fat cream cheese). And it fully satisfies my craving for everything bagels! It tastes exactly the same!

While I’m a big fan of homemade spice blends, this seasoning mix is more of a seed blend. It couldn’t be simpler: just stir together 2 teaspoons each dried minced garlic, poppy seeds and sesame seeds; and 1 teaspoon each caraway seeds and kosher salt (optional). This will give you enough seasoning mix for several weeks worth of muffins – just store it in an airtight container. Enjoy!

22 Responses to “The Everything English Muffin”

1. Jeff (the hubs) — April 2, 2013 at 3:15 am

I like using it on cheese bagels to up the flavor …. Mmmm.

2. Regina — April 9, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I made this on Sunday and it’s as amazing as I had hoped! On an english muffin it totally satisfies the everything bagel craving. I made a double batch and it will all be enjoyed. Delish.

3. Lori Yates — April 9, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I’m so glad you enjoy it as much as I do! The “breakfast sprinkle” has become a permanent part of my pantry :)

4. Dorinda — August 18, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Thank you, it tastes exactly like an everything bagel and with fewer the calories! It will continue to be a staple in my house.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — August 19th, 2013 @ 8:47 am

Thanks, Dorinda – so glad you like it as much as I do. It’s definitely one of my favorite snacks :)

5. Dorinda — August 18, 2013 at 11:38 pm

6. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — August 19, 2013 at 1:47 pm

7. Tara — August 28, 2013 at 11:45 am

I haven’t eaten breakfast yet and now I really want that English Muffin, yum!!!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — August 28th, 2013 @ 4:08 pm

Just had one myself this morning, Tara ;)

• Tara replied: — August 28th, 2013 @ 4:20 pm

Jealous!!

8. Tara — August 28, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I haven’t eaten breakfast yet and now I really want that English Muffin, yum!!!

9. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — August 28, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Just had one myself this morning, Tara ;)

10. Tara — August 28, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Jealous!!

11. Todd @ HonestlyYUM — September 4, 2013 at 11:16 pm

This looks like the best thing EVER Lori. You are indeed an English Muffin fanatic!!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — September 5th, 2013 @ 8:02 am

Thanks Todd! I have to admit, it pretty much IS the best thing ever. I’m obsessed :)

12. Lauren — November 26, 2013 at 4:21 pm

This is the greatest idea! I can’t wait to try this as I am just like you – a wannabe every single day everything bagel eater with lox…yummy!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — November 26th, 2013 @ 4:25 pm

Thanks so much, Lauren! I will warn you – they’re totally addictive. I’ve probably eaten over 100 this year. Maybe more.

13. Pingback: The 10 Best Things I Cooked In 2013 - Foxes Loves Lemons

14. Pingback: Everything Bagel Quinoa Cakes with Smoked Salmon & Crème Fraîche - Cooking Quinoa

15. Pingback: Everything Bagel Quinoa Cakes with Smoked Salmon & Crème Fraîche - Foxes Loves Lemons

16. Pingback: Lox & “Everything Bagel” Flatbread | The Hungry Girlfriend

17. Pingback: Bloody Mary with Everything Bagel Rim #BrunchWeek - Foxes Loves Lemons