Toast Three Ways #SundaySupper
Ever since I read this article in Bon Appetit about Sqirl restaurant in L.A., I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it, for two reasons: 1.) I love the food photography on that toast with jam, and 2.) The article says that people are waiting in line for 20 minutes (and paying $7) for that toast. I’m sure it’s amazing, but come on people: it’s toast. We can make this at home.
Since the theme of today’s #SundaySupper, hosted by Tammi and Gwen, is Back to School, it seemed like the perfect time to come up with some sort-of-gourmet toast options myself. I’m not going to include formal recipes for these, because again: come on people, it’s toast. Instead, I’ll just be sharing a few ideas I’ve come up with to turn boring old toast into an interesting morning meal.
Avocado, lemon juice and aleppo pepper: Mash half an avocado with a pinch of salt and pepper and a squeeze of a lemon juice. Spread it on toast and sprinkle it with a dash of aleppo pepper (or red pepper flakes) for brightness and a slightly spicy kick.
Ricotta and raspberry jam: The Sqirl-inspired version that started it all. Spread toast with creamy ricotta and then be generous with the jam (I used raspberry here).
I’d like to make a huge list of toast ideas, then post it in my kitchen to refer to whenever breakfast boredom strikes. Here’s a few more flavor combos I’ve come up with so far:
- peanut butter and sriracha
- mashed banana and carob chips
- orange marmalade and toasted almonds
How do you like your toast? Share your favorites with me in the comments!
Don’t forget to check out all the other great recipes from the Sunday Supper group!
- Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Muffins from Killer Bunnies
- Make Ahead Waffle Casserole from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Apple Muffins from Meal Diva
- Apple Oat Breakfast Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Toast Three Ways from Foxes Love Lemons
Back to School Lunches and Simple Suppers
- Owl Bento Box from Simply Gourmet
- First Day of School Pinwheels from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Quick and Easy Hot Pastrami Sliders from Webicurean
- Grilled Chicken Revamp from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan from Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken and Zucchinin Meatballs from Casa de Crews
- Clean Eating Lunches Your Kids will Love from Amee’s Savory Dish
- Crispy Chicken Legs from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- DIY Veggie Cup Noodles from Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Nuggets from Nosh my Way
- Skinny Spinach Mac and Cheese from Take a Bite out of Boca
- Chicken Schnitzle from Panning the Globe
- Berry Nutty Bento from Ninja Baking
- Spagetti and Chicken Meatballs from Soni’s Food
- Chopped Shrimp Salad with Honey Lime Vinagraitte from The Weekend Gourmet
- Steak & Cheese Pockets from Momma’s Meals
- Turkey Pinwheels from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Back to School Sips
Back to School Super Snacks
- Nutty Granola from Life Tastes Good
- On the Go Guacamole from Shannon at Country Girl in the Village
- Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Balls from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Playground Granola Bars from Noshing with the Nolands
- Apricot Dip from Magnolia Days
- Parmesan Garlic Oven Roasted Chick Peas from Ruffles and Truffles
- Home Made Graham Crackers from Curious Cuisiniere
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Granola Bars from Pies and Plots
- Gluten Free Apple Zucchini Flax Bread from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Beef and Veggie Sliders from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Popcorn from Simply Healthy Family
- Frushi (Fruit Sushi) from Mama Bee Does
Back to School Sweets and Treats
- Open Face PB & J Cookies from Desserts Required
- Berry Topped Chocolate Silk Tart from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Paletas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Love Note Doodle Bugs from Happy Baking Days
- Frozen Yogurt Mud Pies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Brown Butter Peanut Butter Crispy Treats from The Texan New Yorker