Toast Three Ways #SundaySupper

Toast Three Ways - Ideas to turn boring old toast into an interesting morning meal. | foxeslovelemons.com

Ever since I read this article in Bon Appetit about Sqirl restaurant in L.A., I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it, for two reasons: 1.) I love the food photography on that toast with jam, and 2.) The article says that people are waiting in line for 20 minutes (and paying $7) for that toast. I’m sure it’s amazing, but come on people: it’s toast. We can make this at home.

Since the theme of today’s #SundaySupper, hosted by Tammi and Gwen, is Back to School, it seemed like the perfect time to come up with some sort-of-gourmet toast options myself. I’m not going to include formal recipes for these, because again: come on people, it’s toast. Instead, I’ll just be sharing a few ideas I’ve come up with to turn boring old toast into an interesting morning meal.

Avocado, lemon juice and aleppo pepper: Mash half an avocado with a pinch of salt and pepper and a squeeze of a lemon juice. Spread it on toast and sprinkle it with a dash of aleppo pepper (or red pepper flakes) for brightness and a slightly spicy kick.

Almond butter and toasted coconut flakes: Spread a few tablespoons of almond butter (or any nut butter) and top with toasted coconut flakes for a creamy, filling and naturally sweet meal.

Ricotta and raspberry jam: The Sqirl-inspired version that started it all. Spread toast with creamy ricotta and then be generous with the jam (I used raspberry here).

I’d like to make a huge list of toast ideas, then post it in my kitchen to refer to whenever breakfast boredom strikes. Here’s a few more flavor combos I’ve come up with so far:

• peanut butter and sriracha
  • mashed banana and carob chips
  • orange marmalade and toasted almonds

How do you like your toast? Share your favorites with me in the comments!

Don’t forget to check out all the other great recipes from the Sunday Supper group!

Back to School Beginnings

Back to School Lunches and Simple Suppers

Back to School Sips

Back to School Super Snacks

Back to School Sweets and Treats

SSbadge-200x200
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here – Sunday Supper Movement.

These toast ideas originally appeared here on the NatureBox blog.

55 Responses to “Toast Three Ways #SundaySupper”

1. Liz — August 17, 2014 at 8:23 am

Who knew toast could make my mouth water??? I need to up my breakfast game!!! Beautifully done!!!

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 3:59 pm

Thanks so much, Liz!

2. Marion@Life Tastes Good — August 17, 2014 at 9:11 am

$7 for toast?! and folks are waiting in line? I’m with you, Lori, it’s toast people! haha Love how you jazzed this up with such great flavors and made even simple toast gourmet!

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:00 pm

Haha yeah, I have an “internal price limit” for most things, and $7 is wayyyy above my limit for toast!

3. Betsy @ Desserts Required — August 17, 2014 at 9:24 am

Great toast options!  I love my toast kind of well done (not quite burnt but just shy of that point of no return) slathered in creamy salty butter or piled a mile high with peanut butter and jelly.  :-)

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:01 pm

Oh yeah, I like it that way too, Betsy! It’s such a fine line between well done and burnt, though. haha.

4. Nichole — August 17, 2014 at 10:39 am

I seriously love toast! That being said, I think I am with you on NOT paying $7 for an order, lol. I could never get on board with the avocado toast craze (funny because I love all the ingredients), but I am always down for almond or peanut butter, and I love the ricotta and jam; oh my gosssh! This would be fun for an at-home brunch setup with friends. I may have to do that!

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:01 pm

If you have a toast brunch party, I’ll be waiting for my invite :)

5. MealDiva — August 17, 2014 at 10:47 am

Delicious! I can’t wait to try the new toast toppings! :)

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:02 pm

Thanks MealDiva!

6. Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva — August 17, 2014 at 10:49 am

Beautiful photos! The toast looks amazing. I totally agree 20 minutes for $7 toast is a little ridiculous, and you can easily make it at home!

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:02 pm

Haha, thanks Christy! Yeah, who would drive (or walk, I guess) to a restaurant and then wait 20 minutes for toast? You could have made it yourself at home like 8 times in a row by then :)

7. Tara — August 17, 2014 at 11:13 am

You reminded me of one of my favs that I have not had for a long time and that is peanut butter with sliced strawberries. I have to try all of these too!! Mmmmm, avocado!!!

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:02 pm

Oh, that one sounds good, Tara!

8. Tammi @Momma's Meals — August 17, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Wow these look amazing Lori! I can’t wait to try ALL of them. I hope the kids will try them too. My favorite is: Smear toast with greek yogurt cream cheese (or regular is fine) top with mashed avocado, chopped tomatoes and a sprinkle of pepper! YUMO!

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:03 pm

That sound delicious, Tammi! Love the double creaminess from the cream cheese and avocado. Double yummmmm.

9. Shaina — August 17, 2014 at 1:11 pm

These are such great ideas. The peanut butter and sriracha one has me all sorts of excited! Genius.

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:04 pm

I got that idea from this beer bar near me that has peanut butter donuts topped with sriracha. They are so crazy good!

10. Shannon R — August 17, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Toast is my comfort food. I’m drooling here, yum!

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:04 pm

Thanks Shannon!

11. Susan — August 17, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Would you believe that I haven’t eaten toast in several years?  Actually, I don’t care much for most bread, even the good stuff I make myself.  However, seeing your ideas for toast, I could see making a point of eating it again.  I think the idea I like best is almond butter with coconut.

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:06 pm

Actually, I would totally believe that, because toast has never really been a favorite of mine, either. I think because I’ve always just assumed it’s boring, dry and bland. Plus, I’ll almost always choose an English muffin instead :)

12. Simply Gourmet — August 17, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Great suggestions for easy breakfast or snack ideas for our family. Thanks for sharing.

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:07 pm

You’re welcome, Sherron!

13. Gwen @simplyhealthyfamily — August 17, 2014 at 5:14 pm

That is crazy but hey, it’s L.A. after all ;)
    I love a good gf toast with different spreads for breakfast or an after workout snack! Pinning these for my next toast emergency ;) OXOX

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:08 pm

I think a toast emergency is the best kind of emergency to have, Gwen :)

14. Katie — August 17, 2014 at 8:30 pm

You know…it’s been ages since I made any kind of toast (I actually don’t even own a toaster)…but now you have me CRAVING IT! Loving these combinations….

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:08 pm

Haha yeah, these three pieces of toast were also my first in YEARS. My toaster pretty much only exists for english muffins!

15. Hezzi-D — August 17, 2014 at 8:38 pm

I discovered toast with avocado on it last year and I have to say I love it!

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:09 pm

I know, Heather, it’s soooo good, right?

16. Amee — August 17, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Um, I’ll have a slice of that avocado toast, please!  Love these great breakfast/snack ideas.  So yummy!

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:10 pm

Thanks Amee!

17. Gourmet Getaways — August 18, 2014 at 5:01 am

Whoa! What exciting combos! I think mashed banana and carob chips is good…mmmm!

Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:10 pm

Thanks Julie!

18. Shelby — August 18, 2014 at 6:16 am

Wow, you made toast look gourmet!  I love the different toppings, and the avocado one has me ready to go get avocados just so I can try!

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:11 pm

Thanks so much, Shelby! I highly recommend the avocado toast :)

19. Soni — August 18, 2014 at 8:52 am

Wow, you’ve solved my breakfast dilemma!!Love all three options and cannot wait to try :)

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:11 pm

So glad to hear that, Soni!

20. hubstown — August 18, 2014 at 2:21 pm

I think I might have a good idea . . . Almond butter and some apples roasted in cinnamon.  It’d remind me of a galette you made one time a while back for holiday dessert.

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:12 pm

Sounds terrific. You can make me that any Sunday morning ;)

21. Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere — August 18, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Now, who would have thought toast could be SO sophisticated?These look amazing!

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:12 pm

Thanks Sarah!

22. Sarah — August 18, 2014 at 5:33 pm

I am so in the ricotta and jam camp, but toast is always great!

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:12 pm

I mean, how can you go wrong with ricotta, ever? :)

23. Nancy @ gottagetbaked — August 18, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Yeah, I would never pay $7 for toast, especially since I could buy two entire loaves of bread for that price or make a bajillion (only a slight exaggeration) loaves myself at home. I’m loving your toast ideas, especially the almond butter with toasted coconut flakes. Holy yum! One of my favourite ways to eat toast is to mash avocado with salt, pepper and a bit of olive oil, spread it thick, and top with a fried egg (smoked salmon is also lovely with that combo). Damn, now I’m craving toast!

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:13 pm

Oh man, that avocado/smoked salmon/fried egg combo sounds like THE. BEST. EVER. Once my sense of tastes comes back after this stupid surgery, I’ll be making that!

24. Cindys Recipes and Writings — August 18, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Combinations are endless, so hard to choose maybe I should start a toast of the day blog?

• Lori Yates replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 4:14 pm

I would definitely read that blog, Cindy :)

25. Run DMT — August 25, 2014 at 4:45 pm

So simple and so creative! I love it and pinned it!

• Lori Yates replied: — August 26th, 2014 @ 9:45 am

Thanks so much Denise!

26. Becky — September 1, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Toast…Love it with a bit of the southern classic pimento cheese…

or deviled ham… or homemade apple butter…peanut butter and banana…or cream cheese and olives….or cream cheese and bacon bits(the real stuff)…all easy to have made up and ready to go each morning or late night snack attack

• Lori Yates replied: — September 2nd, 2014 @ 4:38 pm

LOVE all of these ideas, Becky! I mean really, anything with pimento cheese gets a big thumbs up from me :)

27. Laurie Stickney — September 2, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Lori, you are so cute, and now I want toast :)  And that above comment about the avocado with a fried egg on it…IT MUST HAPPEN!

I seriously want to go get some ricotta right now and make some toast!

• Lori Yates replied: — September 2nd, 2014 @ 4:39 pm