Trick or Beet Brownies #SundaySupper

"Trick or Beet" Brownies - delicious chocolaty brownies that use beets in place of some of the oil. Nobody will notice a difference in the flavor of the this nutritious swap!

Autumn brings two things that are well-loved in my household: Halloween and beets. So, “Trick or Beet” Brownies actually seem completely normal in our home, and perfect for this week’s #SundaySupper Halloween Party, hosted by Kathia @ Basic N Delicious. The beets are actually the trick. The brownies are the treat. So maybe they’re like “Beet and Treat” Brownies, but that isn’t nearly as catchy.

My husband is a Halloween fanatic – decorating the yard and house with his yearly “Halloween allowance” – the small sum we’ve agreed to that he can spend on new skeletons, gravestones, bats and spiders each year. Giant fake tarantulas crawl across our house numbers, bats hang from tree branches, a sound machine plays creepy music to set the graveyard theme. We’ll be passing out candy on the porch, if the children can make it up the walkway without crying out of fright (and yes, sadly, that has actually happened).

You know what aren’t nearly as scary as they sound? Beets!! My favorite food. No, seriously. They’re really my favorite food. Although I’ve heard them referred to as “dirt candy,” I’ve convinced most of my immediate family of their charm (except my Dad, who is still terrified of them). However, try as I might, I haven’t been able to spread the love to most of my friends.

Until now. I made these delicious chocolaty brownies, and used beets as a substitute for some oil. I also used honey instead of any white sugar. What resulted was a moist, cake-like brownie with a fudgy (not at all beety) flavor. One friend who hates beets ate two of them, so I win! These beet brownies are perfect all year ’round, but most especially when you want to play a delicious and nutritious trick on your family and friends.

Trick or Beet Brownies

• 3/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
  • 3/4 cup dark chocolate morsels

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Wrap beets in foil and place on rimmed baking pan. Bake 1 hour to 1 hour, 15 minutes or until beets are easily pierced with knife. Let cool, then use paper towel to rub off skins. Shred beets on largest holes of box grater. (This step can be done up to 3 days in advance).
  2. Lower oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Spray 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. In medium bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
  3. In large bowl, whisk eggs, brown sugar, oil and honey until well combined. Stir in vanilla extract, espresso powder and shredded beets. Add flour mixture; stir until very well combined. Stir in chocolate morsels.
  4. Pour brownie batter into prepared pan. Transfer to oven and bake 28 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of pan comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely before cutting and serving.

This recipe originally appeared here on the Naturebox blog

Don’t forget to check out all of the delicious Sunday Supper recipes:

COCKTAILS

SWEETS AND DESSERTS

CUPCAKES, COOKIES AND MORE

APPETIZER, MAIN MEALS

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here - Sunday Supper Movement.

50 Responses to “Trick or Beet Brownies #SundaySupper”

1. Renee Dobbs — October 27, 2013 at 6:11 am

If there ever was something to get me to eat and like beets this is it for sure! Awesome recipe.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 28th, 2013 @ 4:00 pm

Thanks so much, Renee! I’m on a mission to get people to love beets :)

2. Kathia Rodriguez — October 27, 2013 at 8:07 am

Love this spin on a good brownie, a healthy approach is always good. Thank you for sharing

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 28th, 2013 @ 4:01 pm

You’re welcome, Kathia! Thanks for hosting this week!

3. Marjory @ Dinner-Mom — October 27, 2013 at 9:09 am

I would love to surprise a few people in my family with this! They always ask about zucchini and black beans. But, they would never think to ask about beets! Sounds yummy!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 28th, 2013 @ 4:01 pm

I gotta admit, the bean brownies freak me out a little. Says the girl who’s sneaking BEETS into them. haha.

4. Jennie @themessybakerblog — October 27, 2013 at 9:16 am

This recipe is so creative. Love the name!

5. Liz — October 27, 2013 at 9:45 am

I adore beets, too, but haven’t baked with them yet! Your brownies look so rich and tempting…you’d never know they had a secret ingredient!

6. Family Foodie — October 27, 2013 at 9:49 am

This is so cool… who knew you could make brownies with beets?

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 28th, 2013 @ 4:02 pm

To be honest, I didn’t think it would work. Especially on the first try. I got lucky!

7. Suzanne — October 27, 2013 at 9:54 am

Beets are wonderful in a chocolate cake or brownies. They look so good moist, a little cakey. That is exactly how I like my brownies.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 28th, 2013 @ 4:02 pm

Thanks Suzanne! I’ve also been wanting to experiment with beet red velvet cake for awhile. But I just don’t think it’ll get that bright red color that people are used to.

8. Jennifer Drummond — October 27, 2013 at 10:06 am

I get Beets in my CSA box and i never use them because I don’t like them, but now I will be making your recipe! What a great idea!! I love these brownies! They look so light, moist and fluffy!!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 28th, 2013 @ 4:03 pm

That’s how I started eating (and liking) beets – my CSA box years ago. Although, I was IN LOVE with them at the time. Wish I could go back in time!

9. Courtney @ Neighborfood — October 27, 2013 at 10:35 am

I’ve had a bag of beets in my produce drawer for weeks (I got it in my CSA box), and I haven’t been able to figure out what to do with them. I only have one recipe for them (a really good veggie burger), and even though I like it, I really need some more beet recipes! :) I’m definitely adding this one to my collection!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 28th, 2013 @ 4:03 pm

Oh yeah, when I was a CSA member, there would be weeks where I just got A TON of beets! That veggie burger sounds great.

10. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — October 27, 2013 at 10:53 am

Brownies lend themselves for all sorts of vegetables inside, but beets are awesome! They look incredibly fudgy Lori!

11. Laura Dembowski — October 27, 2013 at 11:11 am

I’ve tried so hard to love beets, but I just don’t, unless they’re fried like chips. However, these look very decadent and I love the name!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 28th, 2013 @ 4:04 pm

Well, hey, at least you’ve tried them! That’s all anybody can ask :) Thanks Laura!

12. Kim — October 27, 2013 at 11:28 am

I love the healthy “trick” to these brownies. And they look so fudgy and delicious.

13. Happy Baking Days — October 27, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I think chocolate and beetroot is a combination made in heaven, and I’m pretty sure your brownies could convert more people – they look delicious! I love that your husband has a Halloween allowance – your house must be the most festive on the street!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 28th, 2013 @ 4:04 pm

Haha, there’s a competing house down the street that we have to beat this year ;)

14. Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious — October 27, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Chocolate with my beets? Sign me up!

15. Shaina Wizov — October 27, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I love beets but I’ve never used them in baking before! I’ll have to try this. Thanks for sharing!

16. Megan Wood — October 27, 2013 at 1:11 pm

You have impressed me beyond with this post. Beet Brownies? Amazing!!! And, I love that you guys have a yearly Halloween allowance! I always like to hear about other crazy Halloween fanatics :)

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 28th, 2013 @ 4:05 pm

Hehe, don’t group me in with the fanatics. Just Jeff ;)

17. Laurie — October 27, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Yeah, sorry I can’t get on the Beet train, but I could give this a try! :)

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 28th, 2013 @ 4:05 pm

Choo choo beet train! All aboard! OK, I’m the only one aboard.

18. The Ninja Baker — October 27, 2013 at 6:01 pm

You and your hubby certainly do know how to have fun, Lori! Your recipe is a perfect for allowing treats in a healthy manner. Bravo!

19. Tara — October 27, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Great recipe and I love beets!! Happy Halloween!!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 28th, 2013 @ 4:06 pm

Thanks Tara! Yay for fellow beet lovers! Happy Halloween to you!

20. Elizabeth LaBau — October 28, 2013 at 12:09 am

Okay, you need to make these for me because I think beets are DISGUSTING. I would agree with the “dirt candy” label, except replace “candy” with “grossness” and you have my feelings. :) Sorry to come up in your blog and insult your favorite food–rude! Anyhow, I’d be curious to try these, but I think I would need to be tricked like your friend so I wouldn’t know I was eating beets.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 28th, 2013 @ 4:07 pm

Hahaha, no worries – most people I know feel the way you do, Elizabeth! I didn’t start liking beets until I started roasting fresh ones. Some people have had bad experiences with canned/pickled ones, and I always tell them to roast them and give them another try ;)

21. Sarah R — October 28, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I LOVE beets and chocolate together. There’s something about them

22. Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere — October 30, 2013 at 8:27 am

Love this idea! I’ve never baked with shredded beets before. Something to try soon!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — October 30th, 2013 @ 9:55 am

Thanks Sarah! I wasn’t sure whether I should shred them or puree them somehow, so I just went with shredded, and so glad it worked!

23. Cindys Recipes — October 30, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Why do I love beets? Beets me! Ha ha. Never baked cakes or brownies with them….yet! Will now!

24. Pingback: Halloween Chocolate Pumpkin Parfaits | Daily Dish Recipes

25. Pingback: Beet, Blood Orange & Chèvre Salad ‪#‎GalentinesDayParty‬ - Foxes Loves Lemons

26. Pingback: Beet The Odds with Love Beets - Foxes Loves Lemons

27. Pingback: Mummy Calzone with a Basic Pizza Sauce #SundaySupper » Curious Cuisiniere