True Mint Ice Cream

True Mint Ice Cream - a refreshing mint custard that can be studded with chocolate chips or used in a milkshake.

In this monthly series, I commit to cooking whatever is on the cover of Bon Appetit, Saveur or maybe some other food magazine. There’s a reason these particular dishes are on the cover – they’re usually the best recipes in the magazine.

The August issue of Bon Appetit arrived with a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream on the cover. However, I’ve found it nearly impossible to locate vanilla beans lately. I’m not sure if it’s due to the vanilla bean shortage of last year or what, but they’ve been hard to find unless you want to pay $10 for one bean, which I don’t. So…I improvised and made my favorite – mint ice cream!

Bon Appetit August 2013

Mint Chocolate Chip (or, as my family calls it, Chocolate Chip Mint) ice cream is my absolute fav of all favorite ice creams. It’s been that way since childhood, when my Dad would take me to the local ice cream shop, and I’d mimic his order. I’m pretty sure it became my favorite flavor because it was his favorite flavor. And it’s still my favorite flavor to this day.

I used peppermint oil for this ice cream, but there’s a few different mint flavoring options, all of which I’ve tried. You could infuse the milk/cream mixture with fresh mint leaves, for a subtle but fresh mint flavor. You can also use peppermint extract - you’ll need to use much more of this than the mint oil, and your ice cream will have a more subdued (but still minty fresh) flavor. I like the clean, true flavor of peppermint oil. You just need to be carefully measure it and add only what is called for. Adding too much can ruin a batch of ice cream (I’ve also done this, unfortunately).

Green food coloring is unnecessary here. Add it if you want, but one bite of this ice cream and you will know it’s mint, no color cues needed. Chocolate chips are optional, I sprinkled them on before serving.

True Mint Ice Cream

Yield: Makes about 7 cups

True Mint Ice Cream

• 3 cups heavy cream
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
  • Pinch of kosher salt
  • 10 egg yolks
  • 1/4 teaspoon peppermint oil

1. In large saucepan, combine cream, milk, 1/2 cup sugar and salt. Heat just to simmering over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
  2. Place egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed 2 minutes or until thick and pale yellow in color. In a slow, steady stream, add 1 cup of warm cream mixture to egg mixture. When combined, pour yolk mixture into saucepan with remaining cream mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until mixture is thick enough to coat back of spoon. Strain through fine-mesh strainer set over large bowl. Stir in peppermint oil. Cover with plastic wrap placed directly on custard; chill completely.
  3. Pour custard mixture into your ice cream machine and freeze according to instructions for your machine (mine took about 20 minutes). Transfer ice cream to freezer to harden completely (at least 4 hours).

Adapted from Bon Appetit

For more recipes straight from the cover of food magazines, check out my Cook The Cover Archive!

24 Responses to “True Mint Ice Cream”

1. Suzanne — August 13, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I love mint ice cream, without the chocolate chips, just like you picture it above. I’ll take some hot fudge on top of it. Now I really want some!! Your ice cream looks absolutely perfect and creamy.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — August 13th, 2013 @ 10:32 pm

Mmmm…hot fudge?!? Wait a minute, I think I have a teeny tiny jar of that in one of my cupboards somewhere! A gift from a bridal shower or something. Off to hunt it down….

2. Suzanne — August 13, 2013 at 10:21 pm

3. Nancy — August 13, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Wow, that’s yummy looking ice cream, Lori! This is a very cool series – I love seeing people’s versions of magazine/cookbook food. Thanks for the tips about mint oil vs extract vs leaves. I used to adore mint chocolate chip too. It was all I ordered but now my fave is coffee. Regardless, I’d NEVER turn down a bowl of mint ice cream!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — August 13th, 2013 @ 10:31 pm

Thanks, Nancy! I started out doing it because you can send your photos in to Bon Appetit, and they publish them on their website, which is pretty fun. But now, I just like getting my magazine in the mail each month and knowing that I’ve committed to cooking whatever is on the cover. Not sure what I’m doing to do if it’s some crazy deep-fried turkey around Thanksgiving, though. haha.

Mmmmm….coffee ice cream is kind of awesome, too. I’ve never made a homemade version, but now it’s on my to-do list. I have a big jar of espresso powder that I’m guessing would come in handy.

4. Nancy — August 13, 2013 at 10:32 pm

5. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — August 14, 2013 at 3:31 am

6. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — August 14, 2013 at 3:32 am

7. Laura Dembowski — August 14, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Oh, mint ice cream sounds beyond amazing! This is so pure and natural as opposed to traditional mint ice creams. I buy Nielsen Massey vanilla beans at Papa Joe’s in Birmingham. 2 beans is $6.99. Williams Sonoma has then too, but they are usually a few dollars more, same goes for the NM vanilla extract.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — August 14th, 2013 @ 3:09 pm

Thanks for the info, Laura. I ended up finding those Nielsen Massey beans at the Produce Station in Ann Arbor (after I made this ice cream, of course, but I bought them anyway). For some reason, my usual grocery store, Holiday Market in Royal Oak, has been out of beans for months!

8. Laura Dembowski — August 14, 2013 at 7:58 pm

9. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — August 14, 2013 at 8:09 pm

10. Pingback: Hungarian-Style Stuffed Cabbage

11. Pingback: Sambal Chicken Skewers

12. Pingback: Thai Curry Chicken Noodle Soup (Khao Soi)

13. Pingback: Fried Chicken Sandwiches with Pickle Coleslaw - Foxes Loves Lemons

14. Pingback: Extra-Crispy Fried Chicken - Foxes Loves Lemons

15. Pingback: Chicken and Dumplings with Mushrooms - Foxes Loves Lemons

16. Pingback: Whole Grain Pancakes with Pineapple-Ginger Compote - Foxes Loves Lemons

17. Pingback: Pasta with Herb-Almond Pesto - Foxes Loves Lemons

18. Pingback: Spicy Pork & Mustard Green Soup - Foxes Loves Lemons

19. Pingback: Rocky Road Ice Cream, Plus an ICE CREAM Recipe Round-Up | The Texan New Yorker

20. Lauren Weber — May 14, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Whoa. I am SO making this! Mint chip is one of my favorites too :D

21. Lori | Foxes Love Lemons — May 15, 2014 at 1:38 am

Wheeee! Your new ice cream maker is getting quite a workout, Lauren :)