Waffles – One Plate, Two Ways: Sweet and Savory #SundaySupper
This is an epic recipe that I’ve been wanting to develop for years – a plate with one savory waffle and one sweet waffle, but with flavors that are carefully chosen so they can be enjoyed together. Grab a friend or significant other and have a little waffle-making party. One person can man the waffle maker while the other focuses on the toppings. It’s actually quite possible in about 45 minutes!
Today’s #SundaySupper, hosted by Connie over at The Foodie Army Wife, is all about breakfast for dinner, so I knew it was the perfect time for this ambitious undertaking. Inspired by the savory Belgian waffles my husband loves at a brew pub across town, as well as my friend Suzanne’s Chive & Cheddar Buttermilk Waffles, I knew I wanted to make an herbed waffle topped with some sort of chicken. I smothered some pulled chicken and sauteed mushrooms with a mustard cream sauce, and I was all set for that side of the plate.
The sweet waffle was a harder decision. It couldn’t be too sweet, and it needed to work with the flavors of the savory half of the plate. I know that apples are a classic pairing for pork, so I figured they would work with chicken as well. Why not top the sweet waffle with an apple compote, and have the flavor complement the chicken topping the savory waffle?
I immediately dug into this plate, combining sweet and savory bites with abandon. Waffle, chicken, apple, mustard cream sauce, arugula, walnuts, maple syrup….my fork was dragged through everything. I’ll be the first to admit, it may not be everybody’s cup of tea. That’s fine. I made this breakfast for dinner just for me. A recipe that was years in the making (in my head) had finally come to fruition. And it tasted oh so sweet. And savory. Pssst – I’m obsessed with savory waffles now. Check out this great roundup of savory waffle ideas.
Basic Buttermilk Waffle Batter
Yield: 3 to 4 servings (Makes about 6 large Belgian waffles)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk and butter. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth. Divide batter into 2 small bowls and proceed with sweet and savory waffle recipes below.
Sweet Waffles with Apple Compote & Walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Stir vanilla extract into half portion of Basic Buttermilk Waffle Batter. Cook waffles according to waffle maker instructions.
- In large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add apples, cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally Add apple juice and cinnamon, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until apples are very tender and most liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Serve waffles topped with apple compote and sprinkled with walnuts, with maple syrup.
Savory Waffles with Roasted Chicken & Mustard Cream Sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups half and half
- 1-1/2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 cup cooked chicken, pulled (I used meat from a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Arugula and paprika, for garnish
- Stir parsley, rosemary and thyme into half portion of Basic Buttermilk Waffle Batter. Cook waffles according to waffle maker instructions.
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, cook 4 to 6 minutes or until mushrooms are golden brown. Add half and half and mustard; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half. Stir in chicken and lemon juice; cook 2 minutes or until chicken is heated through.
- Serve waffles topped with chicken mixture and arugula, and sprinkled with paprika.
Don’t forget to check out all of the delicious Sunday Supper recipes:
- Tres Leches Pancakes from La Cocina de Leslie
- French Toast Casserole with Sautéed Apples from The Foodie Army Wife
- Gluten Free Breakfast Pizza from Blueberries And Blessings
- Basic Vegan Waffles from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Kale, Bacon, Brown Rice Crustless Quiche from Shockingly Delicious
- Bacon Egg and Potato Breakfast Tacos from Cookin’ Mimi
- Steak and Egg Tostadas from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Breakfast Bowls from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Bacon and Egg Waffles from The Urban Mrs
- Homemade Lox from Growing Up Gabel
- Seattle Sandwiches (Lox, Shmear, & A Fried Egg) from Juanita’s Cocina
- Bacon & Brie Potato Bread Strata with Roasted Pears from Eat, Move, Shine
- Saucy Ham and Cheese Breakfast Sliders from Daily Dish Recipes
- Greek Frittata from Casa de Crews
- Elderberry Flower Pancakes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Prosciutto, Gorgonzola and Rosemary Strata from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Italian Turkey Meatballs (With a Secret) from What Smells So Good?
- Bacon, Spinach and Tomato Breakfast Pizza from Runner’s Tales
- Red Pepper and Egg Galette from Healthy. Delicious.
- Waffles – One Plate, Two Ways: Sweet & Savory from Foxes Love Lemons
- Steak & Egg Bagel Sandwich from girlichef
- Florentine Benedict from Supper for a Steal
- Oatmeal Ice Cream from Treats & Trinkets
- Banana Waffles with Peanut Butter Syrup from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Baked Berry French Toast from Table For Seven
But wait, there’s more!
- Open Faced BTC Sandwich from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Crustless Spinach Quiche from The Hand That Rocks The Ladle
- Bacon ‘n Eggs Bread Pudding from gotta get baked
- Denver Breakfast Ring from Curious Cuisiniere
- Copycat Japanese McDonald’s from Ninja Baking
- One Pan Full English Fry-up from Food Lust People Love
- Leek, Mushroom and Gruyère Quiche from Hip Foodie Mom
- Joe’s Special, the Original San Francisco Treat from Webicurean
- Dark Chocolate, Orange & Pistachio Greek Yogurt Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Gluten Free Tomato Basil Crepes form No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Sour Cherry Crisp from Pies and Plots
- Cream Dried Beef and Waffles from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sausage breakfast casserole from My cute bride
- Almond Rice Crepes Stuffed With Sweet Potatoes & Peas from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Zucchini Pancakes with Sautéed Tomatoes and Feta from Ruffles & Truffles
- Apple, Bacon, and Dubliner Cheese Stuffed French Toast from Neighborfood
- Dulce de Leche Stuffed French Toast from Basic N Delicious
Normally it would be very socially unacceptable to have wine with your breakfast, but seeing as this is closer to sunset than sunrise, we say go for it!!!
- Hangtown Fry and Wine Pairings with Breakfast for Dinner from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.Yum