Whipped Feta, Marinated Tomato & Chicken Pizza
My husband LOVES making pizza – he grills it in the summer, bakes it in the winter, and comes up with a new flavor combo each time. In this monthly “guest post,” I’m going to sit back, relax, and maybe take the occasional photo while Jeff makes me a pizza and tells you about it. Here he is:
I love pizza. It is probably my favorite food. And, my favorite part about my favorite food is the crust. Just my little secret, the best way to get delicious crust is on a grill.
This week I had some good inspiration for getting that delicious crust I crave – I grilled a pizza with feta spread and cherry tomatoes. I got the idea a couple weeks ago when I decided to make some bruschetta I saw on the Barefoot Contessa.
My wife and I usually spend weekend mornings watching the Food Network because we get good cooking ideas while decompressing from a long week of work. On Saturday we saw Ina Garten making a meal for her husband Geoffrey. My wife saw these bruschetta that had a feta cheese spread and heirloom tomatoes marinated in olive oil, red wine vinegar, and shallots – she literally shrieked with joy and made me promise to make them for her.
Long story short, I made the bruschetta. They were so amazing I decided to make a pizza using similar toppings. I made the same feta cheese spread, substituted cherry tomatoes for heirloom, and threw in grilled chicken as a protein. I topped the pizza with arugula for some green color.
- 6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 pound assorted cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves
- 1 ball of pizza dough, store-bought or homemade
- 1 cooked chicken breast (grilled, roasted or poached), thinly sliced
- 2 cups arugula
- Place feta and cream cheese in bowl of food processor; pulse until cheeses are well combined. Add lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; process until smooth.
- In medium bowl, stir together garlic, shallots and vinegar; let stand 5 minutes. Whisk in remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add tomatoes; toss to combine. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir in basil.
- Grill pizza crust according to Grilled Pizza Tutorial, except cook crust all the way through before finishing with toppings (toppings will not be cooked any further). Alternatively, pizza crust can be baked in oven according to package directions.
- Spread still-warm cooked pizza crust with feta mixture. Top with chicken, tomato mixture and arugula.
Adapted from Ina Garten
For more pizza creations by Jeff, check out our pizza archive!