If you assume my weekly meal plan is on lockdown because of my job, you have assumed wrong. I actually only do about 1 – 2 recipe photo shoots each week, choosing to focus on quality over quantity. That means there’s still 5 -6 days of the week where Jeff and I need to feed ourselves, without a ready-made photo shoot recipe waiting for us in the fridge.
Lately, I’ve actually been on fire with using stuff we already have around to make meals. Some nights, it feels like “ugh, we have barley, a bottle of white wine and a handful of walnuts – I have no idea how to make this a meal.” But other nights, while I’m scanning what we have on hand, everything clicks into place and I come up with something tasty, healthful and awesome.
The only thing I had to buy for this Apple Sausage Salad with Curry Yogurt Dressing was the apple sausage itself. The other ingredients are ones I always stock – Greek yogurt (total staple), apples (pears work well here, too), golden raisins (or any type of dried fruit), cashews (or any kind of nut), and a big helping of organicgirl greens. Any type of salad green would be great here, but I used super spinach this time around, which is a mixture of baby spinach, baby bok choy and baby kale. It delivers a delicious nutritional punch to any recipe.
So please, go forth and raid your fridge. Find some greens, some nuts, a dried fruit, a fresh fruit, some sausage and some yogurt. You’ve got this.
For the Curry Yogurt Dressing:
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon curry power
- Pinch kosher salt and ground black pepper
For the Apple Sausage Salad:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked chicken and apple sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup cashews
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch ginger
2 packages (5 ounces each) organicgirl super spinach
- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Make the Curry Yogurt Dressing: In small bowl, stir together yogurt, vinegar, honey, curry powder, salt and pepper. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days before serving.
- Meanwhile, make the Apple Sausage Salad: In medium nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage and cook 4 to 6 minutes or until warmed through and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Transfer sausage to plate.
- Return skillet to stove over low heat. Add cashews, cinnamon and ginger to skillet. Cook 2 minutes or until cashews are lightly toasted, stirring frequently.
- Divide spinach between plates. Top with apples, raisins, sausage and cashews. Serve salads with Curry Yogurt Dressing.
Home Chef Tip: I like to plump my raisins before using them in salad, to make them easier to chew. Simply put them in a small bowl and cover with very hot tap water. Let stand 5 minutes, then drain.
Disclosure: This was a sponsored post written by me on behalf of organicgirl. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.