Happy New Year! I hope you had a peaceful and joyful holiday season. I spent plenty of time with family and friends, did some things around the house, took #oneflops on lots and lots of walks, but more than anything, just relaxed and took some time off. It was glorious.
About this recipe. Look, I’m not even going to pretend to do a “It’s a new year, so let’s eat healthy” sort of thing. The truth is, I made and photographed this recipe months and months ago, and just hadn’t had a chance to share it yet. With citrus fruits at the peak of their season this time of year, it seems like as good of day as any to bring you this recipe.
For this, you just need to pull together a salad of quinoa, pulled chicken (I used leftover meat from a roasted chicken I had on hand), sugar snap peas and red cabbage. If you’d like, feel free to omit the chicken for a vegetarian dish. The salad gets tossed with an always-satisfying, sort-of-spicy-but-not-too-spicy Asian peanut dressing.
At this point, you can eat this Asian Chicken Quinoa Salad straight out of the bowl, or take the extra step of hollowing out some orange halves and filling them with scoops of the salad, for an extra pretty presentation. I think this serving idea would be pretty cute for a bridal shower or brunch buffet, or even just a special lunch or light dinner at home. Enjoy!
Asian Chicken Quinoa Salad in Orange Cups
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 6 Valencia oranges
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 4 teaspoons sambal oelek
- 4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups pulled cooked chicken
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Prepare quinoa on stovetop according to package directions.
- Halve oranges crosswise. Carefully run paring knife between skin and flesh of each orange half. Holding orange halves over small bowl, scrape out flesh with fork. Transfer 4 teaspoons orange juice collected in bowl to separate large bowl. Reserve remaining orange juice and flesh for juicing; use for another purpose or serve juice with your meal.
- Add peanut butter, sambal oelek and soy sauce to orange juice in large bowl; whisk until well combined. While whisking, slowly drizzle in oil until all oil is incorporated.
- Add chicken, snap peas, cabbage, cilantro and prepared quinoa to bowl with dressing; toss until well combined. Scoop salad mixture in orange cups and serve immediately.
Home Chef Tip: Presentation is everything when it comes to making healthy eating fun! Take the extra step to make the orange bowls, and watch your family devour this salad!
I originally developed this recipe for the NatureBox blog.