I have a confession to make. I’m terrible at making breakfast. Comically, epically bad. I either char hash browns to a crisp or woefully undercook them. Sausage splits open and dries out under my watch. Waffle batter spills out of the waffle maker and coats the counter. Pancakes are overcooked on the outside, undercooked on the inside. I’ve made scrambled eggs even a dog won’t eat.
I thought this would all change when I went to culinary school. Apparently, my school valued breakfast cookery so much, they dedicated (almost) an entire class to it: Breakfast & Pantry. While the “pantry” portion of the class involved things (I think) I’m pretty awesome at, like salad dressings and sandwiches, the breakfast lessons didn’t go all that smoothly. All of those things I mentioned above? Those all happened, while a Certified Master Chef breathed down my neck.
For the Blueberry-Cinnamon Sauce:
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Blueberry Almond Pancakes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup Naturebox Sweet Blueberry Almonds or regular almonds, chopped
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Make Blueberry-Cinnamon Sauce: In a medium saucepan, combine blueberries, water and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until berries burst and sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, make Blueberry Almond Pancakes: In large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, buckwheat flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. In medium bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, milk and butter. With rubber spatula, gently fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, being careful not to overmix batter. Stir in almonds.
- Preheat griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; spray with nonstick cooking spray. Ladle pancake batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through. Serve topped with Blueberry-Cinnamon Sauce.