Chicken Shawarma Seven Layer Dip
Welcome to Foxes Love Lemons’ WEEK OF DIPS! I’m bringing you all sorts of dippin’ goodness so you can find a recipe your party crowd will love for the big game!
If you come to metro Detroit for the first time, what’s the one thing you have to eat or drink? Answers will vary, from coney hot dogs to Faygo Red Pop to apple cider from our area’s many cider mills. If you ask me, I would tell you that you must have a chicken shawarma. Shawarma is very similar to gyros in preparation – the meat is marinated and roasted on a spit, or grilled. It is then served as a platter, or stuffed in soft pita bread slathered with garlic sauce.
Why is this uniquely Detroit? Thanks to our large Arab-American population, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and Lebanese restaurants dot nearly every corner of our metro area. Many of them have names like Mr. Pita, Mr. Kabob and Kabob House. I never tire of chicken shawarma pitas, and this week, I’ve adapted those flavors into a party-perfect dip. With seven layers of chicken shawarma meat, hummus, yogurt sauce, feta cheese, lettuce, onion and tomato, this Detroit-inspired dip will be a hit wherever you serve it!
For the Chicken Shawarma:
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Middle Eastern Seasoning (click for recipe)
For the Yogurt Sauce:
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup shredded cucumber
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of kosher salt and ground black pepper
For the Seven Layer Dip:
- 1 cup prepared hummus
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- Pita chips, for serving
- In large ziploc bag, combine chicken, garlic, lemon juice and Middle Eastern Seasoning. Seal and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Place chicken on rimmed baking pan and transfer to oven; cook 14 to 16 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, turning once halfway through cooking. Let cool; then coarsely chop chicken.
- Meanwhile, make Yogurt Sauce: In small bowl, stir together all ingredients.
- In trifle dish(es) or large bowl, layer hummus, cheese, onion, chicken shawarma, yogurt sauce, lettuce and tomato. Refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 2 hours. Serve with pita chips.
Other dip recipes for the big game: