Chipotle-Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes
As I mentioned yesterday, the cold weather around here is making it pretty impossible to want to do anything other than eat a big bowl of soup. Or stew. Or pasta. Or potatoes.
Basically, any resolutions about healthy eating will have wait until after this windchill streak of 35 DEGREES BELOW ZERO is over. Or so I thought.
What screams “comfort” more than a huge bowl of mashed potatoes? Russets, redskins, sweet potatoes – I love all varieties of mashed goodness. Even potato cakes have a special place in my heart.
With the addition of smoky and spicy chipotle peppers and a touch of maple syrup that echoed the sweetness of the potatoes, I basically want to just dive head-first in a giant bowl of this stuff and hang out in there until the temperature around here returns to normal (say, just 10 degrees below zero windchill?).
Psst – buy an extra sweet potato and try my sweet potato breakfast casserole, too!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 chipotles in adobo, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place sweet potatoes in large saucepot and cover with water by 2 inches. Heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Drain potatoes.
- Transfer potatoes to large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mash together until smooth.