One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that after a special meal, by the time you get to dessert, people seem equally impressed by layer cakes you’ve spent 2 hours on, and parfaits you’ve spent less than 15 minutes on. Maybe that’s just true of my family, as dessert is never really the highlight of any meal we eat. We all appreciate a sweet ending, but simple treats suit us just fine. If your family is similar to mine, this post is dedicated to you.
When I want a quick dessert that still has a pretty presentation that impresses, I almost always choose a parfait of some kind. For this, I layered the subtle flavors of lemon-infused mascarpone cheese with graham crackers and pistachio. Mascarpone is a thick, spreadable and slightly sweet cheese that is best known as an ingredient in Italian desserts like tiramisu.
The best part of this dessert is truly the texture: crunchy, creamy, crunchy again. These Lemon Mascarpone, Graham Cracker & Pistachio Parfaits would be perfect for spring get-togethers and holidays like Easter, Mother’s Day, and baby and bridal showers. Everybody has a few minutes when dessert is at stake, right?
Lemon Mascarpone, Graham Cracker & Pistachio Parfaits
- 6 honey graham crackers, roughly crushed
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped pistachios
- Divide graham crackers between 4 small parfait dishes or glasses.
- In medium bowl, whisk mascarpone, milk, lemon juice and zest, and vanilla 1 minute or until light and fluffy. Divide mixture over graham crackers.
- Sprinkle pistachios over mascarpone mixture. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours.