What’s your air conditioning strategy in the summer? Some people (like my neighbor) run the A/C all summer long, from May – September. Personally, I’m a big fan of holding out as long as possible to turn on the A/C. I love the fresh air and cross-breeze I get in my house from opening every single window.
As long as I can ignore the noise from kids screaming and dogs barking (seriously, what is UP with the loud people/animals who live on my street?), the fresh air somehow makes my small house feel bigger and more open.
These Pizza for Breakfast! Waffles are one of my favorite no-bake summer recipes. While the majority of my meals in the summer are straight off the grill, countertop appliances that don’t heat up the house are a great choice, too. One of my favorites is the waffle maker.
If you’ve never tried a savory waffle before, this summer is the time to do it! Most of the time, I don’t even use a “recipe” for them. I just make a basic waffle batter, and stir in some herbs and maybe some cheese. Then, I top them with whatever I feel like eating that morning (or evening) – sliced sausage, grilled chicken, sautéed veggies, mixed greens, etc.
Here, I’ve stirred some oregano, basil, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese into my waffle batter. I poured the batter into the griddle and topped it with a few slices of pepperoni before toasting it up nice and crispy. I topped the finished waffles with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese and sunny side up eggs.
Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs are pasteurized in an all-natural, gentle water bath pasteurization process. This eliminates the risk of Salmonella without changing the nutrition or the flavor of the eggs. You can safely enjoy Safest Choice in recipes like Hollandaise, Caesar salad dressing, and soft-yolk preparations of eggs like poached and over easy.
For the Waffles:
- 4 Davidson’s Safest Choice eggs
- 2-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 60 pepperoni slices
For the Topping:
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 Davidson’s Safest Choice eggs
- 2 cups pizza sauce, warmed
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Make the Waffles: In large bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk and butter. Add flour, sugar, Parmesan, parsley, basil, baking powder, oregano, garlic powder, baking soda, salt and red pepper flakes; whisk until smooth.
- Preheat waffle maker, and preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Ladle waffle batter into waffle maker; top each waffle with 5 pepperoni slices. Cook waffles according to waffle maker instructions. As waffles finish cooking, sprinkle with mozzarella and transfer to oven to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, prepare eggs as desired (sunny side up, poached, or over easy recommended).
- When all waffles are finished cooking, divide between 6 plates. Top each waffle stack with warmed pizza sauce and an egg; garnish with Parmesan and parsley, if desired.
This post is sponsored by the Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs. All opinions are my own. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography.