I’m not going to sugarcoat it. We’ve been eating A LOT of hot dogs for dinner lately. We’re in the process of moving between two houses, so we’ll both work all day, and then spend the evenings loading up our cars with boxes, driving them to the new house, and unloading and unpacking them there.
Quick dinners are essential to getting all this accomplished and still hitting the sack at a reasonable hour. Instead of turning to fast food and pizza deliveries, I made a list of simple meals we can pull together in a hurry. Well, by list, I mean a mental note of “hot dogs, burgers and brats from here to eternity.”
Just because we’re eating hot dogs three nights a week doesn’t mean we have to just stick with mustard and ketchup. I thought I could make a batch of pickled veggies, and use them for dinners over the next several weeks. I ended up pickling cucumber and carrots in rice wine vinegar, and then continued the Asian theme by slathering the hot dogs in teriyaki sauce.
I couldn’t use boring plain hot dog buns for these Teriyaki Hot Dogs with Pickled Vegetables! Instead, I turned to King’s Hawaiian Hot Dog Buns. These rich, fluffy buns have just a touch of sweetness that perfectly complements a savory hot dog.
Be sure to visit www.sweetestsummerever.com to enter King’s Hawaiian Sweetest Summer Ever contest daily. The grand prize will be a trip to Hawaii provided by Hawaiian Airlines!
Teriyaki Hot Dogs with Pickled Vegetables
For the Pickled Vegetables:
- 4 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 carrots, shredded
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced or spiralized
For the Teriyaki Hot Dogs:
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 King's Hawaiian hot dog buns
- 1/3 cup teriyaki marinade and sauce*
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
*Make sure you buy a thicker, more glaze-like teriyaki sauce (usually called "marinade and sauce") rather than the thinner, more soy sauce-like teriyaki sauce.
- Make the Pickled Vegetables: In large bowl or pitcher, stir water, sugar, salt and vinegar until sugar is dissolved. Divide mixture between 2 large mason jars or other sealed containers. Place carrots in one jar and cucumber in the other jar. Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 24 hours or up to 2 weeks.
- Preheat grill for direct grilling over medium heat. Cook hot dogs according to package directions (about 6 to 10 minutes). Place hot dogs in buns and top with teriyaki sauce, pickled vegetables and sesame seeds.
Pickled Vegetables adapted from White On Rice Couple.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Kings Hawaiian. The opinions and text are all mine.