Do you love the efficiency of making one meal, but being able to eat it for two days? A lot of people I know don’t like eating leftovers, but I am NOT one of those people. I love leftovers! Any time I can just pull something out of the fridge and microwave it real quick, I’m a pretty happy camper. Many of the meals I cook have built-in leftovers for exactly this reason. Most of the time, I’ll just eat them as-is, but sometimes I’ll quickly re-purpose them into a brand new meal.
One night, you can whip up some turkey sliders with all the fixins’ of classic tacos. Be sure to top these little burgers with big flavors like sharp Cheddar cheese and creamy California Avocado. Serve it with a quick and easy black bean and corn salad, and enjoy. Then, the next day for lunch or dinner – enjoy again! Combine extra turkey burger patties with some healthful brown rice and another scoop of that black bean salad for a flavor-packed bowl that will make you forget you’re actually eating leftovers.
For family meals, it doesn’t get any more fun than serving in Re-Play plates and bowls. Not only are they colorful and durable, but they’re great for our environment! Re-Play products reduce greenhouse gases and save energy by using recycled plastic. Did you know that just one pound of recycled plastic saves enough energy to charge a smartphone for 31 weeks?
Turkey Taco Sliders
For the Corn & Black Bean Salad:
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the Sliders:
- 1-3/4 pounds ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slider buns
- Cheddar cheese slices
- Mayonnaise or sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- Sliced tomato
For Leftover Turkey Taco Bowls:
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Mild or hot taco sauce (optional)
- Make the Corn & Black Bean Salad: In medium bowl, stir together lime juice, beans, corn, cilantro and oil. Cover and refrigerate 1/2 of salad for lunch the next day.
- Make the Sliders: In medium bowl, mix turkey, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. Form mixture into 8 patties. Heat oil in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches if necessary, add slider patties and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, turning occasionally (sliders can also be grilled, if desired).
- Cover and refrigerate 4 slider patties for lunch the next day. Serve remaining sliders on slider buns, topped with cheese, mayonnaise, lettuce, avocado and tomato. Serve with remaining 1/2 of Corn & Black Bean Salad.
- To make the Leftover Turkey Taco Bowls: In large bowl, crumble remaining 4 slider patties. Add rice and remaining 1/2 of Corn & Black Bean Salad, toss to combine. Divide between 4 lunch containers and serve with taco sauce, if desired.
Disclaimer: This post is part of an ongoing relationship I have with Re-Play for recipe development. Additionally, California Avocados provided me with a case of avocados, some of which I used in these recipes. Posts like this help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.