Whole Grain Pancakes with Pineapple-Ginger Compote
In this monthly series, I commit to cooking whatever is on the cover of Bon Appetit, Saveur or maybe some other food magazine. There’s a reason these particular dishes are on the cover – they’re usually the best recipes in the magazine.
The May issue of Bon Appetit arrived with a huge stack of “Smoky Mountain Griddle Cakes” dripping with syrup on the cover. I just call them “pancakes” in my house, but either way, a big pile of them was in my future.
Or, in this case, pancakes in the middle of the afternoon after a long night of bourbon drinking (my friends and I had a cocktail competition that involved drinking a half-dozen bourbon drinks to determine a winner).
While I was planning to top my pancakes with some Michigan-made maple syrup, I also wanted to jazz them up a little bit with some fresh fruit.
I made a quick compote with fresh pineapple, fresh ginger, ground cinnamon, and some agave nectar (honey or brown sugar would work just as well).
Don’t forget my easy method of cooking bacon in the oven for a side! If you have a few pancakes left over, use them to make banana pancake ice cream! And check out my other brunch ideas for lots of morning meal options.
For the Whole Grain Pancakes:
- 1 egg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, plus extra for serving
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Nonstick cooking spray
For the Pineapple-Ginger Compote:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Make Whole Grain Pancakes: In a small bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk and maple syrup. In a large bowl, whisk all-purpose flour, cornmeal, brown rice flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; whisk until combined. Add butter; whisk until no lumps remain.
- Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. In batches; spray griddle with nonstick spray, then pour batter by 1/3-cupfuls onto griddle. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make Pineapple-Ginger Compote: Heat butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add pineapple and ginger and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until slightly softened, stirring frequently. Stir in agave nectar and cinnamon. Serve pancakes topped with compote and/or maple syrup.