Wild Rice with Asparagus, Marinara and Poached Egg
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, tomato juice or water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- Prepare rice according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tomato and broth; simmer 6 to 8 minutes or until most liquid is evaporated. Remove from heat; stir in basil.
- While sauce simmers, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss asparagus with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper. Place on rimmed baking pan. Roast 8 minutes or until just tender.
- Fill large, high-sided skillet with water. Heat to a slow boil (about 190 degrees F). Add vinegar to water. One at a time, crack eggs into small ramekin and use ramekin to slowly slide eggs into water. Cook 4 minutes or until whites are set and yolks are still soft. Using a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to paper towel-lined plate.
- To serve, divide asparagus between 4 salad plates. Divide rice over asparagus. Top rice with tomato sauce, and place eggs on top. Serve immediately.