The 5 Most Valuable Things I Learned In Culinary School

What I Learned In Culinary School (And How You Can Use It At Home!) | foxeslovelemons.com

In my “What I Learned in Culinary School” series, I’ll be sharing tips and tricks that I learned from two years of working with some of the country’s best chefs. This will include big things like learning to work efficiently, and small things like how to cook bacon perfectly. All of them will be applicable to your home kitchen, making you a faster, better, and more confident cook.

Maybe you’ve read the “about me” lurking up there under the header, and maybe you haven’t. But hey guys – I went to culinary school for two years. It was freaking amazing. I learned thousands of things. Seriously – every single day, I was learning new stuff constantly for somewhere between 8 to 16 hours at a time.

In the sleep-deprived blur that was those two years, it seemed like the 2 major things I learned were 1.) How to wake up at 4:45 am, force myself to get dressed in hideous checkered pantsand a white paper hat without a shower, drive 25 minutes without falling back asleep, and then start doing gross things like de-veining shrimp before my first cup of coffee, and 2.) how much happier I was than in my previous life sitting in an office all day. Really, ridiculously, smiling-from-ear-to-ear-all-the-time happy.

Now that I’ve been OUT of school for over a year, I’ve had some time to reflect on what I reallylearned. How did those 2 years change my life in the kitchen? Well, I’m super excited, because I’m a Yummly Featured Blogger, and my guest post is about the 5 most valuable things I learned in school!

Head on over to the Yummly Blog to read my post!

For more tips and tricks from my school days, be sure to check out my culinary school archive.

23 Responses to “The 5 Most Valuable Things I Learned In Culinary School”

1. suzanne — May 8, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I wish I had gone to culinary school, I know it’s hard work, long hours but so rewarding. How wonderful.

2. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — May 8, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Suzanne, it was the best decision I ever made. It completely changed my life for the better. But at no point is it too late! There were 65-year-olds in my classes! Lots of retirees, or people moving on to a second career, as well as 18-year-olds just starting out. Very cool to have such a cross-section of students.

3. Lizzy Do — May 8, 2013 at 10:55 pm

How wonderful to be doing what you love! Congrats on following your heart!!!

4. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — May 8, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Thanks Lizzy! I’ve never regretted it for a second.

5. Trisha Jones — May 10, 2013 at 10:47 am

“Do your prep work in stages” – great point and awesome advice. Thanks!!!

Trisha x

6. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — May 10, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Thanks Trisha! It seems so simple, but when I first heard it, I realized how much sense it made!

7. Melissa {Persnickety Plates} — August 8, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Is that the Schoolcraft logo on your coat? I did the graphic design program there & would love to do the culinary program.

8. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — August 8, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Yes ma’am, it is! I went through the two-year culinary program @ Schoolcraft, and I loved every minute of it! Highly recommended!

9. Pingback: Short Rib Pot Pie - Foxes Loves Lemons

10. Pingback: Culinary School Lesson: The Surprising Utility of Take-Out Containers - Foxes Loves Lemons

11. Pingback: What I Learned In Culinary School, Part 3 - Foxes Loves Lemons

12. Pingback: Culinary School Lesson: Expert Sandwich Building - Foxes Loves Lemons

13. Pingback: Culinary School Lesson: Test Cookie - Foxes Loves Lemons

14. Pingback: Culinary School Lesson: Cutting Board Safety - Foxes Loves Lemons

15. Pingback: Culinary School Lesson: Highway to the (Temperature) Danger Zone - Foxes Loves Lemons

16. Pingback: Culinary School Lesson: The Trick to Veggie Lasagna - Foxes Loves Lemons

17. Pingback: Culinary School Lesson: How A Meatball Can Save Your Dinner - Foxes Loves Lemons

18. Pingback: Baked Coconut Shrimp with Creamy Sweet Chili Sauce - Foxes Loves Lemons

19. Pingback: Culinary School Lesson: A Hot & Cold (Plate) Relationship - Foxes Loves Lemons

20. Pingback: Culinary School Lesson: Bakin' Bacon - Foxes Loves Lemons

21. Pingback: What I Learned In Culinary School, Part 2 - Foxes Loves Lemons

22. Pingback: Bell Pepper Quiche with Pine Nut Crust - Foxes Loves Lemons

23. Pingback: Culinary School Lesson: How To Make Restaurant-Style Crispy Hash Browns - Foxes Loves Lemons