Creamy Lasagna Soup (2 Ways – Stovetop or Crock Pot)
Creamy Lasagna Soup uses smart, streamlined ingredient choices to capture the rich essence of classic lasagna in an easy-to-make soup. Choose your method – stovetop or slow cooker!
Best Lasagna Soup Recipe
This Lasagna Soup brings together all of the flavors of my family’s classic Lasagna Recipe with Cottage Cheese, but takes MUCH less time than putting together a traditional lasagna.
This will definitely hit the spot for anybody craving lasagna but pressed for time. The combination of two different types of meat, herbs and spices, and a rich tomato broth make this the best lasagna soup recipe out there.
Why you will love this recipe for Lasagna Soup
- Depth of Flavor. Captures the rich and hearty essence of traditional lasagna!
- Two Cooking Methods. Whether you prefer the convenience of the stovetop or the set-it-and-forget it ease of a slow cooker lasagna soup, I’ve got you covered.
- Customizable. Get creative and use different types of meat or add in extra vegetables to make it your own.
Easy Lasagna Soup Ingredients
- ground beef and mild Italian sausage – I like to use a combination of beef and sausage to form the savory base of this soup. But you could use all one or the other if you prefer! You could also use hot Italian sausage, or even ground pork or ground chicken here.
- onion – adds an aromatic depth of flavor to the soup broth.
- garlic – it’s not lasagna without a little garlic!
- tomato paste – adds a concentrated tomato flavor and helps thicken the soup.
- marinara sauce – a jar of high-quality marinara sauce (I like Rao’s) streamlines this recipe without sacrificing flavor.
- beef stock – the foundation of the soup’s broth. You could also use chicken stock if you prefer.
- lasagna noodles – broken lasagna noodles are the star of this soup, giving it its signature look and hearty texture.
- cream – adds a luxe creaminess to the soup, which mirrors the classic cheesy goodness of lasagna.
- dried oregano – brings the classic Italian herbaceousness.
- dried parsley – rounds out the herbs.
- red pepper flakes – provides a kick of heat without being overwhelming.
- salt and pepper – seasons everything to perfection.
How to make Lasagna Soup (Stovetop version)
1. BROWN. Cook the ground beef and sausage in a Dutch oven until it is brown, then transfer the meat to a bowl.
2. SAUTE. Cook the onion until it is softened, then add the garlic, tomato paste, herbs, salt and pepper and red pepper flakes.
3. ADD. Put the meat back in the pot along with the marinara and the stock.
4. HEAT. Heat the mixture to a simmer, then stir in the broken lasagna noodles.
5. SIMMER. Cook until the noodles are al dente, then stir in the cream. Finish cooking until the noodles are all the way tender.
6. GARNISH. Top the soup with basil and Parmesan cheese, then serve in bowls dolloped with ricotta.
How to make Crockpot Lasagna Soup
- Cook the beef and sausage in a skillet (or, if you have a stovetop-safe slow cooker insert, use that)!
- Add the meat mixture along with the remaining ingredients except the noodles and cream to the slow cooker bowl.
- Cook on high for 3-1/2 hours or low for 7-1/2 hours.
- Stir in the noodles and cook on high for about 20 more minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Stir in the cream, and then garnish the crock pot lasagna soup and serve.
Home Chef Tips for Easy Lasagna Soup
- Use high quality ingredients for the best flavor. The better marinara sauce you use, the better your soup will taste.
- Experiment with different types of cheese for garnish. Instead of ricotta and Parmesan, you could try shredded mozzarella and grated Pecorino Romano.
- Adjust the red pepper flakes to suit your spice preference. Omit them for a truly mild soup, or add more to kick it up!
How to serve Creamy Lasagna Soup
My favorite way to serve this recipe is by taking some the ingredients that are traditionally in lasagna and putting them on top.
This means a scoop of ricotta cheese, some shredded or grated Parmesan cheese, and a sprinkle of fresh basil if you have it.
How to store this recipe for Lasagna Soup
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.
When reheating, add a splash of water or beef stock to thin the soup out as necessary.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage (hot or mild)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 4 cups beef stock
- 6 lasagna noodles, broken into small pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Ricotta cheese, shredded or grated Parmesan cheese and torn fresh basil leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Heat a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and Italian sausage, and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until cooked through, breaking up meat with wooden spoon as it cooks. Use slotted spoon to transfer meat to medium bowl.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon fat from pot and reduce heat to medium. Add onion and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, oregano, parsley, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add meat back to pot and stir in marinara sauce and stock.
- Heat to simmering over medium-high heat; stir in noodles. Cook 10 to 12 minutes or until noodles are al dente, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in cream; cook 6 to 8 minutes or until noodles are tender. Serve soup garnished with ricotta, Parmesan and basil, if desired.
SLOW COOKER DIRECTIONS:
- Heat large skillet (or stovetop-safe slow cooker insert) over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and Italian sausage; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until cooked through, breaking up meat with wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Drain excess fat from meat mixture and transfer meat mixture to bowl of 5-quart or larger slow cooker. Add garlic, onion, tomato paste, oregano, parsley, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, marinara sauce and beef stock; stir well. Cover and cook on high 3-1/2 hours or low 7-1/2 hours.
- Stir in noodles. Cook on high 20-30 minutes longer or until pasta is tender.
- Stir in cream. Serve soup garnished with ricotta, Parmesan and basil, if desired.
Foxes Love Lemons, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 557Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 1329mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 4gSugar: 11gProtein: 27g
This website provides estimated nutrition information as a courtesy only. Nutrition information does not include any optional ingredients or toppings. You should calculate the nutrition information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.