To remedy this situation, some friends and I occasionally travel for the holiday – two years ago I was in Savannah, and last year I was in New Orleans.
These trips were both great fun, but again – New Years Eve itself? Let’s just say the bar that we were at on Bourbon Street totally failed.
The band that was playing (and that was supposed to do the countdown to midnight) totally missed midnight! We eyed our watches as it became 12:01…then 12:02.
At around 12:06, the singer realized her error and started doing the whole countdown thing, hoping nobody would notice the moment had really passed. Seriously, lady?
L-a-m-e. I really believe the best part about New Years Eve is the fun snacks. Even if it’s just Jeff and I on the couch with our pooch, we drink champagne and eat party food for dinner.
These Greek chicken meatballs are even lightened-up to fit in with whatever crazy resolution you might be striking the next morning. I know NYE is a ways away, so feel free to have these for dinner before that.
Or, you could make them for a holiday get-together – they’re easily kept warm in a slow-cooker with a bit of chicken broth in the bottom.
For the Meatballs:
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup minced white onion
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound ground chicken
For the Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Garnishes:
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Finely chopped English cucumber
- Prepare Meatballs: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray rimmed baking pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, stir together garlic, egg, onion, breadcrumbs, oregano, mint and salt. Add chicken and stir (or mix with hands) until just combined. Do not overmix. Using hands, gently form into golf ball-sized meatballs and place on prepared baking pan.
- Bake meatballs 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, prepare Yogurt Sauce: In small bowl, stir together all ingredients.
- Garnish meatballs with feta and cucumber; serve with Yogurt Sauce.