This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Tazo® Tea. All opinions are 100% mine.
If you’ve been reading this blog for awhile, you know that I would ALWAYS choose a cheese course over a dessert. With the except of maaaaaaaaybe key lime pie flew in from the freaking Florida Keys, if a cheese course is an option rather than dessert, I’m going with the cheese. I guess I kind of break the mold that way. But in fact, in many countries around the world, meals are finished with a bit of cheese instead of something sweet.
But around here, most people are looking to satisfy their sweet tooth after dinner. I created this Fig & Spiced Goat Cheese Tart as kind of an olive branch between the cheese people (hi!) and the dessert people (you know who you are). I started with a roll of store-bought pie crust, because hey, every home chef is allowed to take a shortcut now and again.
I blind baked the pie crust and then spread it with a whipped goat cheese mixture spiced with cinnamon, ginger, cloves, orange zest . . . and ground black pepper. Just trust me on the black pepper. It’s the bridge between the savory cheese and the sweet figs. The sweet, ripe, juicy figs. Drizzled in honey. And sprinkled with pistachios.
My favorite accompaniment to any cheese course (or a cheese course masquerading as a dessert) is a nice cup of tea. I reached for Tazo® Awake™ English Breakfast to go with my tart, which is a bold and bright breakfast-style black tea that invigorates me any time of the day. Just like how I like to break the mold of what dessert should be, Tazo wants to break the mold as far as when tea should be enjoyed. It’s not just for breakfast anymore. Let’s Sip Joyfully at any time of day! Tazo teas are easy to find at my local grocery stores, and they are made with some of the finest quality tea leaves, spices and botanicals to create unexpected blends.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) goat cheese
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground black pepper
- Pinch ground cloves
- Pinch ground ginger
- 16 figs, halved
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Press crust into 9-inch tart pan; cut off excess crust hanging over edge. Use fork to poke several holes in bottom of crust. Line crust with parchment paper; fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove pie weights and parchment paper; transfer crust to wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, place goat cheese and cream cheese in small microwave-safe bowl and microwave 15 seconds. Add orange zest, cinnamon, pepper, cloves and ginger and mash with fork until well combined.
- Spread cheese mixture evenly in bottom of cooled tart crust. Arrange figs over cheese; drizzle with honey and sprinkle with pistachios.