I know I’ve completely missed the boat on the mason jar trend. Hello, what is this, 2011? But the fact is, I bought my first set of jars just this spring, and I’ve been making up for lost time with them. The fact that you can pack a complete meal, all in one jar? I’m in love.
- 1/3 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces cooked turkey breast, cubed
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped English cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 6 tablespoons chopped mixed nuts
- In medium saucepan, bring 1 cup water to boil over medium-high heat. Stir in bulgur wheat. Reduce heat to medium; cook until bulgur is tender, or about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain off any remaining liquid. Spread bulgur in a single layer on a rimmed baking pan; transfer to freezer to chill for 10 minutes or until cool.
- Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. While whisking, slowly drizzle in oil until all oil is incorporated.
- Divide vinaigrette between 4 pint-sized mason jars. Divide cooled bulgur wheat over vinaigrette. Layer remaining ingredients, ending with Tuscan Summer Mix.Top with lids and refrigerate up to 5 days.
Want more salad jar ideas? Check out these other portable, fun lunch recipes!