If you love homemade pizza, you have to try this Chicken Pizza with Mozzarella & Roasted Garlic! This recipe provides step-by-step instructions to either grill it like a pro, or make it in your oven.
It’s been a little while since I’ve shared a grilled pizza recipe with you guys! But, just because I haven’t blogged it, doesn’t mean I haven’t eaten it. Grilled pizza is one of our go-to meals in the summer.
We usually make it with whatever we happen to have on hand (it’s a great way to use up leftover odds and ends), and this Chicken Pizza with Mozzarella & Roasted Garlic is inspired by that clean-out-the fridge method.
About the ingredients for Chicken Pizza:
- For the crust, I bought a brand of locally-made frozen pizza dough. Feel free to make your own dough, or buy a refrigerated version.
- If you want a grilled pizza, but you’re not confident about your dough grilling skills, take an easy shortcut and use naan bread!
- I used a good brand of store-bought pizza sauce here. Again, feel free to make your own, but pre-made pizza sauce is a shortcut I’m comfortable with taking.
- For chicken, I pulled apart a cooked chicken breast that was left over from a meal earlier in the week. Rotisserie chicken works great, too!
- In my opinion, nothing beats big slices of fresh mozzarella on a pizza. With a fresh, milky flavor and super creamy texture, fresh mozzarella cheese is what I keep on hand for homemade pizza (if I don’t “snack” until it all disappears before I make the pizza).
- I roasted my own garlic (instructions in recipe card) because it’s easy, cheap and makes the house smell delicious. If you’d rather buy roasted garlic from the olive bar at your store, hey – judgement free zone.
- I had spinach on hand so I used that for some leafy freshness, but arugula or kale would be great as well.
- You haven’t lived until you’ve eaten a pizza with everything bagel sprinkle.
How to Make Chicken Pizza In the Oven:
Don’t have a grill? Or is it winter and you don’t want to stand outside in the cold grilling? I totally get it, and there are directions below to make this pizza entirely in the oven. If you decide to go with this approach, I highly recommend a pizza stone for nice crispy crust. An investment in a pizza stone now should last you the rest of your life, if you treat it right!
Do you cook chicken before putting on pizza?
YES, definitely. The pizza won’t cook long enough for raw chicken to cook all the way through on top of the pizza. For this reason, I start with cooked chicken that has been pulled or chopped. The easiest way to do this is to buy a rotisserie chicken at the store and use some of the meat from that. You can also roast or grill a chicken breast or a few thighs to come up with 1-1/2 cups of cooked chicken for your pizza.
What to serve with pizza:
My favorite side dish for chicken pizza is a nice fresh salad, like a summer salad or a winter citrus salad. The only other thing you need is a cocktail! I think that either a prosecco spritz or a gin seltzer would be a perfect pairing.
- 2 heads garlic, top of bulbs trimmed off so tops of cloves are exposed
- 1 ball of pizza dough, store-bought or homemade
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup prepared pizza sauce
- 1-1/2 cups cooked and pulled/chopped chicken
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 1 cup spinach leaves, torn
ROAST THE GARLIC
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wrap garlic heads in foil and place on small rimmed baking pan. Transfer to oven and cook 1 hour or until garlic is dark golden brown and very soft. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes or until cool enough to touch. Squeeze garlic cloves from their skin into a small bowl.
- Preheat grill for two-zone grilling: half of grill should be set to medium-high; other half should be off (indirect heat).
- Stretch and shape dough into 14-inch circle and place on pizza pan or large tray. Brush one side of dough with 1 tablespoon oil. Use hands to transfer dough to direct heat side of grill, oiled side down. Do not worry if dough becomes a little misshapen during the transfer. Cook 2 minutes, or until the dough releases itself from the grates (do not disturb dough before it releases).
- Brush top side of dough with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, then use tongs to flip dough. Cook 2 minutes or until dough releases from grates. Continue cooking dough 3 to 4 minutes longer or until dough is firm and grill-marked in all areas, flipping and rotating frequently but keeping grill closed when not flipping.
- Remove dough from grill and spread with sauce. Top with chicken, cheese, everything bagel seasoning and roasted garlic cloves.
- Transfer pizza back to grill on indirect heat side. Close grill and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until toppings are warmed through and crust is fully cooked.
- Remove pizza from grill and top with spinach. Cut and serve immediately.
- Place pizza stone in oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- While preheating, stretch and shape dough into 14-inch circle. Once preheated, place dough on pizza stone and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown (you do not need the olive oil for the oven directions).
- When pizza crust is golden brown, remove from oven and spread with sauce. Top with chicken, cheese, everything bagel seasoning and roasted garlic cloves.
- Return pizza to oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove pizza from oven and top with spinach. Cut and serve immediately.
Home Chef Tips:
- Garlic can be roasted up to 3 days in advance. Keep in covered container in refrigerator until ready to use.
- To make Everything Bagel Seasoning, stir together 2 tablespoons each dried minced garlic, poppy seeds and white sesame seeds, plus 1 tablespoon each caraway seeds and kosher salt.
Foxes Love Lemons, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.
Serving Size:2 slices
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 482mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 18g
More great pizza recipes:
- Homemade Flatbread Pizza – a delicious kitchen project, no yeast needed!
- Baked Potato Pizza – a comfort food mashup!
- Cheeseburger Pizza – the whole family will love this!
- “Home Alone”-Inspired Filthy Animal Pizza – great any time of year, not just Christmas.
- Roasted Garlic & Cauliflower Pizza – a reader favorite!
- Italian Farmhouse Rustic Pizza – a complete meal on a pizza!
- Hawaiian BBQ Pizza from Life Made Simple
- Crispy Fried Pizzas from Pinch of Yum