Meyer Lemon Bars with Poppyseed Crust
You know how Americans dread tax season? That was never really true for me. It seemed like I almost always got a small refund, or just owed a couple of dollars. Literally, one year I had to write a check to The State of Michigan for one dollar. They couldn’t just write that off? But this year was different.
This year marked my first year of being self-employed, and having approximately thirty sources of income via a variety of freelance jobs. Tax season this year tough, to say the least.
Rounding up all of those documents and receipts, trying to explain to our tax preparer how anybody could possibly make money writing a food blog, and realizing that I should be paying taxes quarterly from here on out was anything but fun.
The only thing getting me through that tax appointment? Knowing that a big bowl of Meyer lemons was waiting for me at home. Knowing that those would soon become Meyer lemon bars and lemon creme brulee.
Knowing that I’d be eating Meyer lemon bars and drinking a Meyer lemon cocktail soon somehow soothed my tax anxiety.
I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from the tax appointment to pick up some POPPY seeds for the crust. If you follow me on Instagram, you may have noticed that my grocery store finally corrected the little typo in their bulk bin labeling system. te he he.
The tail end of Meyer lemon season coincides with the early days of Spring each year (and the end of tax season). While I’m sad to say goodbye to Meyers for another year, it’ll be worth it when I’m riding my bike outside, hosting backyard BBQs, and playing kickball with my friends.
For the Poppyseed Crust:
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2-1/2 tablespoons poppyseeds
For the Filling:
- 6 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Meyer lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated Meyer lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make Poppyseed Crust: In bowl of standing mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour and salt; mix until just combined. Stir in poppyseeds. With floured hands, press dough into 9x13x2-inch baking pan. Transfer to refrigerator; chill 20 minutes.
- Transfer crust to oven; bake 15 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, make Filling: In large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, flour, lemon juice and zest. Pour over crust; transfer to oven and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until filling is set.
- Transfer to wire rack; let cool completely before cutting. Dust with powdered sugar for serving.