Flank Steak Tostadas #WeekdaySupper

Flank Steak Tostadas – a quick and easy weeknight meal featuring grilled flank steak, black beans and queso fresco.

Do you guys remember what cooking was like before Al Gore invented the Internet? When, if you didn’t know how to cook something, you had to either reference the few cookbooks you had on hand, or call somebody who knew how to cook that item?

My mom and I have always been fans of tostadas (a.k.a. chalupas, at some restaurants). Crunchy, flat corn tortillas topped with whatever you want. Since we liked them so much at restaurants, we continually tried to make them at home when I was younger. We tried everything to get those tortillas crunchy – fried them to within an inch of their life, baked them, fried them and then baked them. They always turned out….OK. They were somewhat crunchy, but also still chewy, and not quite the same as the restaurant version we loved.

Fast forward 20 years, when my hubs and I decide we want to make tostadas. Now, a 5-second Google search reveals a foolproof method – spray the tortillas with nonstick cooking spray and then bake them. Of course, why didn’t we think of this before? It works like a charm, I tell ya. So, lets thank our lucky stars for the internet, and whip up these crunchy steak tostadas for a quick #weekdaysupper this week. Crunch crunch crunch crunch.

Flank Steak Tostadas

Flank Steak Tostadas

• 8 corn tortillas
  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 1 pound flank steak, marinated overnight using a half-batch of this Alton Brown recipe
  • 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained (reserve 1-1/2 tablespoons liquid from can)
  • 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeños
  • 2 cups shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
  • 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
  • 1 cup guacamole, prepared using your favorite recipe
  • Hot sauce
  • Lime wedges, for serving (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray both sides of tortillas with cooking spray; place on rimmed baking pan. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until very crispy, turning once.
  2. Meanwhile, preheat grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Grill steak 8 to 10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 135 degrees F for medium-rare, flipping once halfway through cooking. Transfer to plate; let rest at least 5 minutes before slicing.
  3. Place beans and their liquid, and jalapeños in food processor; process until smooth. Microwave bean mixture 60 seconds or until hot.

Make sure you check out this week’s other easy #WeekdaySupper recipes!

Sunday Supper Movement

Monday: Skillet Fajitas from Country Girl In The Village
Tuesday: BBQ Shrimp, Broccoli & Cheesy Quinoa Bowls from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Wednesday: Grilled Chicken and Garden Vegetable Pasta from Supper For A Steal
Friday: Chinese Chicken Salad from The Urban Mrs.

21 Responses to “Flank Steak Tostadas #WeekdaySupper”

1. Renee Dobbs — August 15, 2013 at 7:16 am

Fabulous recipe. Now to get a flank steak marinating. I see my dinner tomorrow night.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — August 15th, 2013 @ 9:32 am

Thanks Renee! While just about any steak marinade works here, I really do recommend trying that Alton Brown one, if you haven’t already. It’s just the perfect balance of flavors. Plus, I almost always have all of the ingredients on hand.

2. Renee Dobbs — August 15, 2013 at 12:16 pm

3. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — August 15, 2013 at 2:32 pm

4. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — August 16, 2013 at 9:35 am

Need to make these tostadas! We try to have one “taco inspired” recipe a week, this is next weeks!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — August 16th, 2013 @ 9:37 am

Awesome, Pamela! I hope you enjoy, and please let me know how it turns out!

5. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — August 16, 2013 at 2:35 pm

6. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — August 16, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Awesome, Pamela! I hope you enjoy, and please let me know how it turns out!

7. Guest — August 16, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Making these tonight with AB’s marinade although I wish I didn’t add the brown sugar or blenderize it. Nonetheless, I’m sure this is going to be an awesome dinner! Thank you for sharing.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — August 16th, 2013 @ 9:54 pm

You’re welcome! Hope your dinner turned out great!

• Vicki replied: — August 16th, 2013 @ 11:08 pm

Hmm, not sure why my post was authored by Guest, but just wanted to follow up on how dinner turned out. Meat had good flavor although i’ll definitely skip the sugar and blender next time. My beans were a little too dry so next time, I will leave them whole and not drain them totally. Overall, good flavor, easy to prepare and a new addition to my recipe box. Thanks again!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — August 17th, 2013 @ 8:16 am

Thanks, Vicki! Sorry your beans turned out dry – I think depending on the brand, sometimes you may need a little extra juice from the can. I’ll add that to the recipe. So glad you had a great dinner!

8. Vicki — August 17, 2013 at 12:22 am

9. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — August 17, 2013 at 2:54 am

You’re welcome! Hope your dinner turned out great!

10. Vicki — August 17, 2013 at 4:08 am

11. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — August 17, 2013 at 1:16 pm

12. Liz — August 17, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Oh, how wonderful! I need to try Alton Brown’s marinade ASAP!

13. Liz — August 18, 2013 at 1:24 am

Oh, how wonderful! I need to try Alton Brown’s marinade ASAP!

14. The Hubs — August 19, 2013 at 2:12 pm

You can also make tortilla chips using the same oven crisping process . . . If I recall, it was a quick google search for homemade tortilla chips that inspired the tostada shell creation.

15. The Hubs — August 19, 2013 at 7:12 pm