This Slow Cooker Chicken Apple Cider Chili is a simple soup with a surprising depth of flavor from fall herbs and apple cider.
I have to confess that I’m not the biggest chili fan. My mom only made it occasionally when I was growing up (I liked her lasagna much more!), and when she did, I mostly just ate the “broth” and left all of the “stuff” in the bowl.
I wasn’t much of a picky eater as a kid, but for some reason, traditional beef and bean chili just didn’t appeal to me. And still doesn’t.
However, in recent years I’ve really warmed up (pun intended) to chicken and white bean chili. This Slow Cooker Autumn Chicken & Apple Cider Chili has been on repeat at my house lately.
Apple cider in chili may seem a little strange, but just go with me here.
When I’ve served this crock pot cider chili recipe to family and friends, nobody has known that the secret ingredient is apple cider until I mentioned it, but I think the cider, along with the fall herbs, added a unique depth of flavor to a basic chicken chili.
The ingredients for this Slow Cooker Chicken Apple Cider Chili Recipe are easy to find:
- rotisserie chicken
- Great Northern beans
- bay leaf
- chicken stock
- apple cider
- chili powder
- salt and pepper
Can I use apple juice for Chicken Apple Cider Chili?
Yes! I’ve made this with apple juice in place of apple cider, and it works well. The juice adds the same sweet apple flavor that the cider would.
Can I make this chili recipe without beans?
You certainly can, although the beans add most of the body to the chili. Without the beans, this will be more like a chicken soup.
If I wasn’t using beans in this chili, I may add a couple of cans of diced tomatoes or possibly even some cooked lentils to make it a little more filling.
Can I make Apple Cider Chicken Chili with turkey instead of chicken?
Yes! One roasted turkey breast, chopped up into bite-sized pieces is a great substitute for the rotisserie chicken in this recipe.
- Meat from 1 roasted/rotisserie chicken
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Chopped apples, for garnish (optional)
- In slow cooker, stir together chicken, beans, celery, garlic, bay leaf, onion, stock, cider, sage, thyme, chili powder, salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne. Cook on high 4 hours or on low 8 hours.
- If desired, serve chili topped with chopped apples.
Foxes Love Lemons, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 307mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 15g
More Great Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup – my mom’s recipe!
- Slow Cooker Carrot & Apple Soup with Za’atar Croutons – one of my favs for fall and winter!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls – one of the most popular recipes on this blog!
- Slow Cooker Lentil & Sausage Soup – I legit make this one all the time.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup – the #1 MOST POPULAR RECIPE on Foxes Love Lemons.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala from Budget Bytes
- Crock Pot Goulash from Spend with Pennies