When it comes to breakfast, there’s probably two camps of people: those who are starving and need to eat something as soon as they wake up, and those who always skip breakfast. I fall somewhere in the middle. In general, I could take it or leave it.
If there’s a granola bar around, or I feel like making a smoothie, I’ll have a little somethin’ somethin’. Other days, I just skate by on a cup of coffee and wait for lunch. However, I know breakfast is the most important meal of the day yada yada yada, so I am trying to become a regular breakfast eater.
It’s certainly a lot easier when you have something filling and delicious, pre-made and almost ready to eat, on hand. Breakfast burritos are the ultimate portable breakfast, but the packaged frozen ones (and the ones from the drive-thru) can be full of sodium and aren’t as customizable as I would like.
That’s why I’ve started making big batches of my own homemade frozen breakfast burritos. Here, I used a simple combination of scrambled eggs, ham, green chiles and Monterey Jack cheese.
Wrap these babies up in foil and throw them in the freezer. Then, all you need to do is pop them in the microwave for a few minutes when you’re ready for a hot meal in the morning!
- 12 eggs
- Pinch of kosher salt and ground black pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles, drained
- 8 burrito-sized flour tortillas
- 6 ounces fulled cooked smoked ham, cubed
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream and salsa, for serving (optional)
- In large bowl, whisk eggs, salt and pepper until well beaten. Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; pour in eggs. Cook over medium heat 4 to 6 minutes or until fully cooked, stirring to scramble frequently. Stir in green chiles. Transfer to plate and let stand until cool.
- Working with a few tortillas at a time, microwave tortillas 10 to 15 seconds to soften. Lay tortillas on work surface. Spoon cooled scrambled eggs down center of each tortilla; top with ham and cheese. Fold tortilla over filling; then fold in sides of tortilla and continue rolling to form burrito. Repeat with remaining tortillas and fillings.
- Wrap each burrito individually in aluminum foil. Place all burritos in large freezer bag and transfer to freezer.
- To reheat: Unwrap and discard foil. Place burrito on microwave-safe plate; cover with paper towel. Microwave on high 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until hot. Serve with sour cream and salsa, if desired.
MORE GREAT BREAKFAST RECIPES:
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole – reheats easily for breakfast and lunch during the week.
- Vegetarian Quiche – simple and classic!
- Brioche French Toast – with a secret ingredient.
- Breakfast Cheese Board – because it’s never too early for a cheese board
- Lazy Sunday Breakfast Dumplings – a fun twist on pieorogies.
- Bacon and Cheese Quiche from Lil’ Luna
- Shakshuka from Downshiftology