In my opinion, June is the most lovely month of the year. The days are long, the weather is generally warm but not uncomfortably hot, and I can spend the entire month grilling my dinner and never tire of it. Case in point: this Grilled Eggplant Flatbread made with a generous helping of creamy Greek yogurt.
This vegetarian meal comes together fast, so you can eat you dinner in a hurry and get right back to your outdoor activities. This is also a great dish for a potluck or backyard party! First, make some quick spiced chickpeas by tossing canned chickpeas with olive oil, cumin, oregano, cinnamon and chili powder.
Then, it’s time to head out to the grill! Put slices of eggplant onto the grates and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until they have great grill marks and are nice and tender. Throw some naan bread on right near the end, and get some grill marks on that, too.
Bring everything inside and assemble: spread yogurt over the naan bread, making sure you get yogurt in all the nooks and crannies. Chop the eggplant and arrange that over the yogurt, then pile on the spiced chickpeas, along with a sprinkle of pine nuts and parsley. Cut into wedges and enjoy!
Psst – If you’re feeling ambitious, you can use my recipe for homemade flatbread instead of the naan!
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 medium eggplant, cut crosswise into 1-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 package (8.8 ounces / 2 pieces) naan bread (I like the garlic flavor)
- 1-1/2 cups 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Preheat grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. In small bowl, toss chickpeas, oil, oregano, chili powder, cumin and cinnamon until well combined.
- Sprinkle eggplant slices with salt and pepper. Transfer eggplant to grill and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until grill-marked and tender, turning and flipping occasionally. Place naan bread on grill during last minute of eggplant cook time; cook 1 minute or until light grill marks develop.
- Transfer eggplant to cutting board and chop into 1-inch pieces.
- Spread yogurt over naan bread. Top with eggplant and chickpeas. Sprinkle with parsley and pine nuts, then cut each naan into quarters. Serve immediately.