Ham & Mozzarella Sticks with Raspberry-Dijon Dipping Sauce
Weird fact about me – I was totally skeeved out by string cheese until about a year ago. While most kids at my elementary school would open their lunchboxes and tear into the string cheese first, little Lori sat there cheese stick-less. Mind you, I don’t think it’s because my mom refused to buy it or anything like that.
If my memory serves, I had one bite of string cheese from a friend’s lunch one time, and was immediately disgusted by it. Looking back on it now, I think it had gone bad. And really, when your first bite of something is spoiled, why would you try again?
Then about a year ago, I was browsing the cheese section at my grocery store and noticed that string cheese is just mozzarella cheese. Say what?!? I don’t know what sort of strung-out cows I thought string cheese came from, but yeah guys, it’s just mozzarella. And obviously, it’s a delicious and portable snack and I’m totally on board with it now.
As much as I like string cheese just on it’s own, it’s also great for making quick appetizers such as this one. I wanted to make these Ham & Mozzarella Sticks sort of reminiscent of a Monte Cristo sandwich, with their gooey cheesiness pairing with a sweet and tangy raspberry-Dijon dipping sauce. They take just a few minutes to prepare, and it’s just as easy to make 2 for yourself as it is to make 24 for a crowd!
For the Ham & Mozzarella Sticks:
- 6 (7-inch square) eggroll wraps
- 12 thin slices Black Forest Ham
- 6 string cheese sticks, unwrapped
- Nonstick cooking spray
Raspberry-Dijon Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Prepare Ham & Mozzarella Sticks: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line rimmed baking pan with parchment paper. Place 1 eggroll wrap on work surface. Place 2 slices ham in center of wrap; place 1 cheese stick on top of ham. Fold sides of wrap in, then roll up as tightly as possible. Place stick seam side down on prepared baking pan. Repeat with remaining wraps, ham and cheese sticks.
- Lightly spray sticks with cooking spray. Transfer to oven; bake 8 minutes. Turn sticks; bake 4 minutes longer or until golden brown and crisp. Watch closely during last few minutes of baking time - if you notice any cheese coming out ends of sticks, remove from oven immediately.
- Meanwhile, prepare Raspberry-Dijon Dipping Sauce: In small bowl, stir together all ingredients.
- Serve warm Ham & Mozzarella Sticks with Raspberry-Dijon Dipping Sauce.