Sriracha Turkey Sandwiches with Pickled Veggies
If you had told me back in 2008 (or whenever I first bought a bottle of sriracha, I can’t remember), that I would still be eating it (and eating a lot of it) in 2017, I might not have believed you. At the time it first started to gain popularity in the U.S., it certainly seemed, at least to me, like something that would be passing fad.
But as the years have gone on, sriracha has changed from something trendy to something rather ubiqitious. Just like I expect most casual restaurants to stock ketchup and mustard, I assume sriracha is close at hand these days, too. It’s spicy, tangy-sweet flavor with a punch of garlic is the perfect companion to eggs, burgers, sandwiches, and just about everything else.
So, while this sandwich isn’t exactly on-trend at this point, I can assure you that it’s super tasty. And to me, a well-crafted turkey sandwich is something that is never going to go out of style. I dig a great turkey sandwich, year ’round, for any meal of the day.
To make these Sriracha Turkey Sandwiches with Pickled Veggies, you’ll want to start by getting your pickle game on. Honestly, you can pickle just about any vegetable that you have around (or looks good at the market). I prefer ones that can be thinly sliced and lay relatively flat, so I can get a sturdy sandwich build. This time around, I went with red onion, radishes, cucumber and carrots. The veggies need just a few hours to turn into pickles, and then you can keep them in the fridge for up to a week, for easy advance meal prep.
After your pickles are ready, grab some sort of bread or roll and slather it with sriracha mayo. You can buy pre-made sriracha mayo in the condiment aisle of some stores, or you can just make it yourself by stirring together the two ingredients.
Pile your sandwich high with some thick slices of JENNIE-O® Premium Portions Oven Roasted Turkey Breast. This turkey breast comes fully cooked, pre-seasoned and ready-to-eat, making it perfect for quick sandwiches. Layer as many pickles as possible on top of the turkey, and it’s time to eat!
JENNIE-O® Premium Portions Turkey Breast comes in three flavors – Hickory Smoked Sun Dried Tomato, Hickory Smoked Cajun, and classic Oven Roasted. For more information, be sure to connect with JENNIE-O® Turkey on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
For the Pickled Veggies:
- 2 cups thinly sliced English cucumber
- 2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
For the Sriracha Mayo:
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
For the Sandwiches:
- 6 onion rolls, split
- 1 package JENNIE-O® Premium Portions Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, sliced
- Make the Pickled Veggies: Pack vegetables into two quart-sized mason jars (I packed the onions and radishes into one jar, and the carrots and cucumbers into the second jar).
- In medium saucepot, stir together water, rice vinegar, white vinegar, sugar and salt. Heat to boiling over medium heat. Divide mixture over veggies in jars. Let jars stand at room temperature, uncovered, for one hour. Cover and transfer to refrigerator at least two hours or up to one week.
- Make the Sriracha Mayo: In small bowl, stir together mayonnaise and sriracha.
- Make the Sandwiches: Spread bottom halves of rolls with sriracha mayo. Divide turkey over mayo. Top turkey with pickles and top halves of rolls. Serve immediately.
Home Chef Tip: Drain pickles and pat them dry before building sandwiches. You may not need all of the pickles. Use any leftovers for some Funky Good Rice & Shrimp Bowls!
Disclosure: As a member of the Jennie-O Switch Circle, this was a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Jennie-O. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.