If it’s game day, there MUST be chicken wings on the menu. It’s totally non-negotiable, at least in my house! We like to experiment with different combinations of marinade, dry rubs, and sauces for either the wings themselves, or dipping sauces.
This year, I have A LOT of different things going on on my Epic Game Day menu, so I decided to keep the wings themselves simple, but really bring the flavor with a creamy mayonnaise-based dipping sauce.
I actually prefer wings made at home vs. ordered at a restaurant. Almost all restaurants cook their wings in a deep fryer, which I think is really unnecessary. At home, I like to roast them on baking racks set over top of sheet pans.
Placing the chicken on racks means that the hot air of the oven circulates the entire way around the wings, make them crispy on all sides.
Also, I find that restaurants tend to over-sauce their wings, to the point where you can’t even taste the chicken anymore. That’s why I like to serve simple salt and pepper wings with a dipping sauce centerpiece. That way, each person can choose how much sauce they really want.
About that sauce. This Garlic Parmesan Wing Sauce is actually inspired by one of my husband’s favorite wing flavors at a national wing chain. But, I prefer my homemade version for all of the reasons I just mentioned.
I started with a base of mayonnaise, and then stirred in generous amounts of Parmesan cheese, garlic paste, buttermilk and chives, along with a dash of Worcestershire sauce (for that utterly additive umami quality).
Use any extra buttermilk you have left over to make my buttermilk chicken marinade for a grilled chicken dinner later in the week!
For The Chicken Wings
- 3 pounds whole chicken wings (split at joint, tips removed)
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
For the Parmesan-Garlic Sauce
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Make the Chicken Wings: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place wire racks inside two rimmed baking pans. Divide wings between prepared racks. Season wings with salt and pepper. Transfer to oven and bake 45 minutes or until wings are golden brown and crispy, rotating pans halfway through cooking time.
- Meanwhile, make the Parmesan-Garlic Sauce: In small bowl, stir together all ingredients.
- Serve Chicken Wings with Parmesan-Garlic Sauce.
Epic Game Day Recipe Schedule:
- Sunday, January 15th: Epic Game Day Overview
- Monday, January 16th: Toasted Ravioli Nachos
- Thursday, January 19th: General Tso’s Meatballs
- Monday, January 23rd: Pork Belly & Tomato Jam Sliders
- Thursday, January 26th: Parmesan Garlic Wing Sauce
- Monday, January 30th: French Onion Cheese Fondue
Other Game Day Ideas:
- Spinach Dip in Mini Pumpernickel Bowls
- Everything Bagel Chicken Wings
- Cheese Board for Beer
- Meyer Lemon Shandy
- Meaty Enchilada Chili Dip
- Beer Brats with Beer Queso
- Mini Turkey Taco Salads
- Build-Your-Own Meatball Sub Platter
- Beer Queso Dip Shooters
- Pizza Popcorn
Making one of these recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on social media with the hashtag #FLLEpicGameDay!