Strawberry Pop-Tart Ice Cream #SundaySupper

`Strawberry Pop-Tart Ice Cream - Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream swirled with graham cracker crumbs and rainbow sprinkles!!!

Summer berries are here! Well, mostly. I’m patiently waiting for the three giant mulberry trees in my backyard to produce ripened fruit, but I’m pigging out on strawberries for now. Summer Berries is the name of the game for this week’s #SundaySupper that’s being hosted by Nicole at Daily Dish Recipes. One of my favorite things to make with strawberries is ice cream. I’ve always done classic-but-delicious traditional strawberry in the past, but this time I decided to throw some graham cracker crumbs and rainbow sprinkles in for a Pop-Tart effect.

Making ice cream is one of my favorite childhood memories. My parents and I inherited this super old ice cream maker. It luckily wasn’t a crank-only machine, it was electric. But it was probably the first electric ice cream maker ever made. Regardless, it was so much fun. My mom and I would make the ice cream mixture and pour it into the canister. Then my dad would fill up the wooden barrel with ice and rock salt and start it up. We had to leave the machine on the back porch because it was so loud. It seriously sounded like a freight train, not a frozen delight maker. After it was churned, Dad would pull out the paddle, and him and I would stand over the sink licking the remnants. Then the ice cream would go into the freezer to firm up until we could have it for dessert later. And it was the best ice cream e-v-e-r. Over the years, we’ve upgraded to newer, more efficient ice cream makers. My parents and I actually each have the same Cuisinart machine. There may not be the thrill of accidentally getting a stray piece of rock salt in your ice cream, but it certainly is easier, quieter, and cleaner.

Now, can we talk about the fickle nature of food photography for a minute? I was already incredibly nervous about these photos, because it was my first time ever photographing of ice cream. I was fearing that the ice cream would melt into puddles before I even got a good photo. Well you know what? The real problem turned out to be crazy fast-moving clouds outside. As soon as I could get my camera white-balanced and all the settings worked out, either a cloud would go over the sun, or the sun would come back out. Seriously, ever 10 seconds. In the midst of changing all of my camera settings again…and again…and again….well then, the ice cream did start to melt. And then things got sticky. And then I gave up and just ate the ice cream for lunch.

Strawberry Pop-Tart Ice Cream

Yield: 2 quarts

Strawberry Pop-Tart Ice Cream

• 3-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
  • 1-1/4 cups whole milk
  • 3 cups heavy cream
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles

1. In a medium bowl, stir together strawberries, lime juice, and 1/2 cup sugar. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours. Transfer mixture to food processor or blender; puree until smooth.
  2. Place milk and remaining 1 cup sugar in mixing bowl; mix on medium-low speed 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Add heavy cream, vanilla and pureed strawberries; mix on low 1 minute or until well combined. Pour mixture into your ice cream machine and freeze according to instructions for your machine (mine took about 25 minutes).
  3. Meanwhile, in small bowl, melt butter in microwave. Add graham cracker crumbs and stir until crumbs become clumpy and lumpy (this is a good thing!).
  4. When ice cream has finished churning (mixture will be soft), begin dividing ice cream between two 1-quart plastic containers. Add one scoop of ice cream to each container, then sprinkle with some graham cracker crumbs and sprinkles. Repeat layers 5 times. Transfer ice cream to freezer to harden completely (at least 4 hours).

Don’t forget to check out all of the delicious Sunday Supper recipes:

Breakfast & Brunch

Sweet & Savory Berry Recipes

Jams, Jelly, Sauces & More

Desserts

Cocktails, Drinks & Smoothies

Party Planning

I’d love to hear about your recipe using summer berries!  Feel free to leave links and/or recipes in the comments. Also, please join us for our live Twitter chat tonight at 7pm EST using the #SundaySupper hashtag, and check out the Sunday Supper board on Pinterest.

90 Responses to “Strawberry Pop-Tart Ice Cream #SundaySupper”

1. Jennifer Drummond — June 2, 2013 at 9:40 am

Wow! Strawberry poptart ice cream! I LOVE this, it’s so different and crazy, i need this in my life!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — June 2nd, 2013 @ 3:42 pm

Haha, thanks Jennifer! I agree – it’s crazy. Crazy that an ADULT came up with this.

2. supperforasteal — June 2, 2013 at 9:52 am

Haha your photography story sounds like mine a lot recently. Screw it, I just want to eat this!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — June 2nd, 2013 @ 3:43 pm

Haha yeah, sometimes you just gotta give up and eat whatever it is while it’s still good! And some things just WON’T cooperate for photos, so I try not to stress about it :)

3. supperforasteal — June 2, 2013 at 1:53 pm

4. Danelle04 — June 2, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Okay, this is seriously awesome!

5. Danelle04 — June 2, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Okay, this is seriously awesome!

6. Amanda — June 2, 2013 at 12:46 pm

what a great idea. My boys would go crazy for this!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — June 2nd, 2013 @ 3:45 pm

Thanks Amanda! I’ve realized it’s a kiddo ice cream flavor invented by an adult :)

7. Amanda — June 2, 2013 at 4:46 pm

what a great idea. My boys would go crazy for this!

8. Courtney @ Neighborfood — June 2, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I’ve been curious about this ever since I saw it in the forum. What a fun idea! And I know exactly the kind of ice cream maker you’re talking about. My parents had one as well. Made the best ice cream ever!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — June 2nd, 2013 @ 3:46 pm

Thanks Courtney! Those old ice cream makers were so awesome. Somehow, I think the ice cream tasted better when it was made in those. Don’t get me wrong, the ice cream from the Cusinart is still good, but maybe I just liked that thrill of getting a spare piece of rock salt in your bowl :)

9. Courtney @ Neighborfood — June 2, 2013 at 6:39 pm

10. Laura Dembowski — June 2, 2013 at 2:55 pm

This ice cream looks fantastic! I love the addition of sprinkles :) Making ice cream is so much fun, but food photography is not. I find ice cream holds up pretty well for awhile before it starts melting, but I don’t even mess with white balance and all that. I shoot in auto and hope for the best ;)

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — June 2nd, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

Auto mode is definitely what I should have done here! haha. I also think if you “pre-scoop” the ice cream and then freeze the scoops, maybe you’ll get a few extra minutes to photograph? I meant to try that here, but forgot.

• Laura Dembowski replied: — June 2nd, 2013 @ 5:10 pm

That’s what I do and it works really well. I get a good 5 minutes before any melting!

11. Laura Dembowski — June 2, 2013 at 6:55 pm

12. Kathia Rodriguez — June 2, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Great idea look delicious.

13. Kathia Rodriguez — June 2, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Great idea look delicious.

14. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 2, 2013 at 7:42 pm

15. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 2, 2013 at 7:43 pm

16. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 2, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Thanks Danelle!

17. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 2, 2013 at 7:45 pm

18. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 2, 2013 at 7:46 pm

19. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 2, 2013 at 7:47 pm

20. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 2, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Thanks Kathia!

21. Diana @ASpoonfulofLuxe — June 2, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Love it!!! Strawberry Pop Tarts are a love of mine (well, ok, really an obsession!) So, I’m all about trying this ice cream version. And the photos were lovely… in my book, a great food photo makes you want to reach in and grab a bit. Accomplished! ;-)

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — June 6th, 2013 @ 1:45 pm

Aww, thanks Diana! I’m actually not a huge Pop Tart eater, and I wasn’t sure if graham crackers were really the right thing to use for the “crust” element. But if you’re a huge fan of Pop Tarts, and you say it’s good, then I’m pleased!

22. Diana @GourmetDrizzles — June 2, 2013 at 7:56 pm

23. Katie — June 2, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Holy freaking moly. You had me at ice cream, but poptart ice cream?!?! WANT!!!!!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — June 6th, 2013 @ 1:46 pm

Haha, thanks Katie. I LOVE homemade ice cream, so I’ll probably be making/blogging about lots more this summer :)

24. Katie — June 2, 2013 at 8:15 pm

25. Growing Up Gabel — June 2, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Well, the photos turned out beautifully despite the sun giving you a run for your money! :-) Love the ice cream – what a fun idea!

26. Growing Up Gabel — June 2, 2013 at 8:57 pm

27. Laura Dembowski — June 2, 2013 at 9:10 pm

28. The Ninja Baker — June 2, 2013 at 6:13 pm

The sprinkles and graham cracker additions do make this strawberry ice cream look super festive, fun and dee-licious! Thank you for the recipe.

Appreciate too the story about the first freight train electric ice cream maker…Shall I confess? I remember the crank kind churning away as a kid at my grandparents’ place =)

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — June 6th, 2013 @ 1:47 pm

Oh, I’m sure my grandparents had one of those, too. Then I think they upgraded to the “first-ever electric version” and then handed that down to my parents. So glad ice cream maker technology has come a long way. Now, if only there was a way for it to automatically remind me to put the freezer bowl in the freezer two days before I want to make the ice cream.

• The Ninja Baker replied: — June 8th, 2013 @ 9:26 pm

Tee hee. So right. An automatic remind would be nice.

29. The Ninja Baker — June 2, 2013 at 10:13 pm

30. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — June 2, 2013 at 9:13 pm

After all, isn´t eating the melty ice cream the best part of blogging about it!? This is so festive, perfect for outdoor barbecues Lori!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — June 6th, 2013 @ 1:48 pm

Right? If eating melting ice cream is a job requirement of a blogger, well then, I’ve had much worse jobs :)

31. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — June 3, 2013 at 1:13 am

32. Renee Dobbs — June 2, 2013 at 9:22 pm

What fun, colorful, and delicious ice cream! Great photos and I understand the struggle when the sun and clouds want to mess with you while taking photos.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — June 6th, 2013 @ 1:48 pm

Yeah, seriously sun and clouds! Stop trying to rain on our food photography parade!

33. Renee Dobbs — June 3, 2013 at 1:22 am

34. Tara — June 2, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Okay, now that is the coolest thing ever!! It looks so delicious. Love it!!

35. Tara — June 3, 2013 at 1:37 am

Okay, now that is the coolest thing ever!! It looks so delicious. Love it!!

36. Soni — June 3, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Your Ice-cream looks so soft and creamy, just the way I like it :)Inspite of the weather your pics came out lovely! I really need to invest in an Ice -cream machine this summer :)

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — June 6th, 2013 @ 1:49 pm

Yep, this is definitely an ice cream that’s on the softer side, so it’s right up your alley. Keep an eye on Williams-Sonoma this summer – sometimes they mark the Cusinart machines down by $25, or give you a gift card for your next purchase. That’s how I got mine.

37. Soni — June 3, 2013 at 4:15 pm

38. Megan Wood — June 3, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Wow wow wow. I am pulling out my ice cream maker now and making this. Delicious.

39. Megan Wood — June 3, 2013 at 11:19 pm

40. Laura Hunter — June 4, 2013 at 4:29 pm

When I first saw the title I thought, oh I won’t like this because I am not a fan of pop tarts, I like the concept but not the taste. And here you have taken the concept, the part I like, and given in life in this great ice cream.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — June 6th, 2013 @ 1:50 pm

You know what, Laura? I’m not a fan either. Never have been. But I’m the same way – I appreciate the concept, but the taste….not so much. I think I got the idea because there is a restaurant near me that makes homemade pop tarts. And they’re flawless.

41. Laura Hunter — June 4, 2013 at 8:29 pm

42. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 6, 2013 at 5:45 pm

43. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 6, 2013 at 5:46 pm

44. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 6, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Thanks so much, Camille :)

45. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 6, 2013 at 5:47 pm

46. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 6, 2013 at 5:48 pm

47. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 6, 2013 at 5:48 pm

48. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 6, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Thanks so much Tara!

49. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 6, 2013 at 5:49 pm

50. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 6, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Yay, let me know how it turns out, Megan!

51. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 6, 2013 at 5:50 pm

52. Sunithi Selvaraj, RD — June 8, 2013 at 12:24 am

This looks beautiful ! My kids would go crazy over this ! Must make !!!

53. GiGi Eats Celebrities — June 8, 2013 at 12:24 am

OMFG! I would want to eat that every single day… ALL DAY LONG! Looks amazing!

54. Sunithi Selvaraj, RD — June 8, 2013 at 4:24 am

This looks beautiful ! My kids would go crazy over this ! Must make !!!

55. GiGi Eats Celebrities — June 8, 2013 at 4:24 am

OMFG! I would want to eat that every single day… ALL DAY LONG! Looks amazing!

56. The Ninja Baker — June 9, 2013 at 1:26 am

Tee hee. So right. An automatic remind would be nice.

57. Webicurean — June 9, 2013 at 1:52 am

I need to make this and soon! I think your pictures came out great! I too worry about the ice cream melting before getting a decent shot, so I haven’t made any yet for the blog… some day. :)

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — June 9th, 2013 @ 9:38 am

You know, it wasn’t TOO bad to photograph. If the sun hadn’t been doing crazy things outside, it would have been no problem! The ice cream didn’t melt nearly as fast as I thought it would, so that helped.

58. Webicurean — June 9, 2013 at 5:52 am

59. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 9, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Thanks Sunithi!

60. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 9, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Haha, thank you :)

61. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 9, 2013 at 1:38 pm

62. sara — June 28, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Awesome recipe – I love this idea! :)

63. sara — June 29, 2013 at 12:38 am

Awesome recipe – I love this idea! :)

64. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 29, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Thank you, Sara!

65. Jennifer Drummond — August 24, 2013 at 1:18 pm

66. Okibi — February 5, 2014 at 9:30 pm

You have forever won my love with your use of non-parils instead of the long sprinkles. :D

67. Lori | Foxes Love Lemons — February 6, 2014 at 12:50 am

Hahaha, yes! Non-parils are way better :)