Welcome to the inaugural edition of Foxes Love Lemonade! I’m (obviously) obsessed with the bright, tart taste of lemons, and I love freshly squeezed lemonade as well! Classic lemonade is just dandy, but in this summertime monthly post, I’ll be coming up with new spins on my favorite cool-down drink.
First, a confession. This is the first batch of homemade lemonade I have EVER made. I’m honestly not sure why somebody like me, who always has a big bowl of lemons in the fridge, hasn’t made it before.
Quite honestly, my husband and I simply drink water 95% of the time, so we’ve never been a family that always has a pitcher of lemonade or iced tea in the fridge.
But, all of that might change soon. Because guys, homemade lemonade is amazing.
Since it was my first-ever batch, I was naive and wanted to try to make a drink without a TON of added sugar, but I think it all depends on the tartness of the particular lemons that you use.
I think each batch is different, and should be made “to taste.” Also, adding additional elements, like in this case, strawberries and ginger, could mean that the overall tartness is toned down (or enhanced), so each batch is really a custom job.
It also comes down to personal taste. Being the lemon lover that I am, I probably like a tarter drink than most people, which I’ve noted in the recipe.
This lemonade kind of came about because strawberries and ginger are two things that sometimes go bad in my fridge before I’m able to use them.
It seems like I often buy a big box of strawberries, eat half and then get tired of them. And although I try to buy the smallest piece of ginger possible at the store, it’s still far bigger than I need for a little bit of stir-fry or a blueberry lemon smoothie.
Now that I know I can whip up this unique and refreshing Strawberry-Ginger Lemonade, these ingredients will never be wasted again!
- 3 cups water
- 2 heaping cups fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1-1/2 tablespoons peeled and roughly chopped fresh ginger
- 1-1/2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus additional if needed
- In blender, puree water, strawberries and ginger until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh strainer; discard solids.
- Pour strawberry liquid into pitcher; add lemon juice and sugar. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Serve over ice; refrigerate any leftovers.
- Note: this makes a lemonade that is on the tart side. If you desire a sweeter drink, stir in additional sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until desired level of sweetness is reached.
More yummy strawberry recipes:
- Strawberry Moscow Mules – what makes them DOUBLE strawberry? Go find out!
- Summer Salad with Strawberry Ricotta Toast – a light dinner for a hot day.
- Strawberry Pop-Tart Ice Cream – homemade ice cream is a project worth taking on!
- Cannoli Strawberries – a super simple no-bake dessert.
- Strawberry Cinnamon Rolls from A Few Short Cuts
- Creamy Strawberry Pie from Delightful E Made