Thanksgiving Leftover Waffles
I’ve been waiting on pins and needles to share this recipe with you for a year now. I created these savory waffles for a client just before Thanksgiving last year, and instantly decided it was one of the most delicious meals I’d ever concocted. But it just didn’t make it to the blog in time for you to enjoy with your holiday leftovers last year. Thus, I’ve been cautiously guarding the recipe and photo files and just waiting for this day. TODAY! Happy Sunday before Thanksgiving!
I’ll be spending today making sure I have all the groceries I need for Thursday, and doing a bit of prep work according to my “Step-By-Step Guide for Prepping Ahead, So You Can Relax on Thanksgiving!” post, like making the cranberry sauce. Beyond that, I’m just going to chill out today, because the week ahead is about to get crazy! It’s a cooking marathon, but I love it and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
The theme of today’s #SundaySupper, hosted by Jennie of The Messy Baker, is, of course, “Thanksgiving Leftovers.” For my contribution, I created savory buttermilk waffles fortified with whatever herbs you have left over from the big day (I used parsley, sage and rosemary). I topped the waffles with Havarti cheese, and leftover cranberry sauce and turkey. Gravy is optional here, but if you have some on hand, drizzle that over the top, too! I mean, why not?
Thanksgiving Leftover Waffles
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
For the waffles:
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
For the toppings:
- Cranberry Sauce
- Havarti Cheese Slices
- Sliced Roasted Turkey, warmed
- Gravy, warmed (optional)
- Chopped Fresh Parsley for garnish
- Make the waffles: Preheat waffle maker to medium-high heat. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. In large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk and butter. In small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar; whisk flour mixture into buttermilk mixture.
- In separate medium bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Using rubber spatula, fold egg whites, parsley, sage and rosemary into buttermilk mixture until just combined. Do not overmix.
- In batches, transfer waffle batter to waffle maker and cook until golden brown and crisp, according to waffle maker instructions. Transfer waffles to wire rack set on baking sheet and keep warm in oven while cooking remaining waffles.
- Serve waffles warm with toppings of choice.
Making one of my recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on my Facebook page, or uploading to Instagram or Twitter with the tag #foxeslovelemons. It would make my day!
Don’t forget to check out all the other great recipes from the Sunday Supper group!
Cranberry Sauce Muffins by The Foodie Army Wife
Leftover Stuffing Breakfast Strata by Ruffles & Truffles
Sweet Potato Casserole Muffins by Magnolia Days
Turkey & Chorizo Breakfast Hash by Brunch with Joy
Italian Mashed Potato Pancakes by The Weekend Gourmet
Cranberry Sauce’d Corn Bread Muffins by Rhubarb and Honey
Leftover Pie by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Thanksgiving Leftover Waffles by Foxes Love Lemons
Stuffing Hash by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
Turkey Pizza by Meal Diva
Turkey & Caramelized Onion Risotto by kimchi MOM
Turkey with Creamy Mushroom Marsala Sauce by Casa de Crews
Moroccan Turkey Stew by What Smells So Good?
Peruvian Cilantro & Turkey Soup by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
Turkey & Butternut Squash Stew by Cooking Chat
Turkey Kreplach Soup by Panning the Globe
Turkey & Stuffing Crepes by Peaceful Cooking
Cranberry Apple Pecan Chicken Salad by NeighborFood
Herbed Turkey over Cornbread Waffles with Cranberry Sauce by girlichef
Creamy Peanut Gochujang Pasta by Wallflour Girl
Cranberry Sweet Potato Soup by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Turkey Enchilada Pasta Bake by Curious Cuisiniere
Turkey Orzo Risotto by Family Foodie
Turkey Croquettes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Cheesy Mashed Potato Croquettes by Noshing with the Nolands
Whipped Carrots with Sriracha Butter by Healthy Delicious
Cranberry-Balsamic Glazed Cauliflower Wings by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Parmesan Mashed Cauliflower and Potatoes by Momma’s Meals
Cheesy Jalapeño Potato Cakes by Bobbi’s Cozy Kitchen
Cranberry & Turkey Sandwich by The Redhead Baker
Monte Cristo Sandwich by Nik Snacks
Hot Brown Turkey Sandwiches by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Sprouted Grain Turkey, Cranberry & Brie Panini by Amee’s Savory Dish
Turkey Cranberry Flatbread by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Condiments & Sauces:
Banana Cheesecake with Pecan Graham Cracker Crust by Desserts Required
Cranberry Cream Cheese Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Gluten-Free Lemon Cake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Spiced Cranberry Sauce Buckle by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Cocktails & Drinks: