Turkey Egg Roll Salad
Meal preppers, listen up: all of the ingredients for this Turkey Egg Roll Salad can be chopped and prepped in advance. When you’re ready to eat, dinner can be on the table in less than five minutes!
Sad update on the Chinese food takeout situation in my neighborhood: The owner of our favorite place did indeed pass away, and we all miss her terribly.
China Ruby is now closed for good, and we haven’t been able to find any takeout place that holds a candle to it. Sure, there are places a 20 – 30 minute drive away that are supposed to be great, but who wants to drive that far for takeout?
You never really realize how much you take Chinese takeout for granted until it’s no longer an option. These days, I’m making do with incorporating Asian flavors into my homemade meals, like Asian noodle salad, Asian-inspired chicken sloppy joes, and this turkey egg roll salad.
It’s no match for Ruby’s amazing egg rolls, but it IS much healthier, so there’s that.
About this Turkey Egg Roll Salad recipe:
With the busy back-to-school season in full swing, I know a lot of you are looking for easy meals that ideally, can be prepped in advance. I’ve got you covered!
You can prep all of the components of this salad in advance – make the vinaigrette and dressing, and cut up the veggies and turkey. While you’re at it, cut up a few extra bell peppers and make fajitas veggies for another meal!
Store it all separately in the fridge, and when you’re ready to eat, just toss it all together and do the finishing touches in Step 3. Dinner can be on the table in less than 5 minutes if you’ve prepped in advance!
You’ll want to use thick-sliced turkey deli meat for this recipe. I found a sweet Thai chili flavored turkey breast at my deli that was perfect for this salad, but plain works just as well!
For the Hot Mustard Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Chinese hot mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the Creamy Sweet Chili Dressing:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
For the Salad:
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 8 ounces thick-sliced deli turkey breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup wonton strips
- Make the Hot Mustard Vinaigrette: In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, sesame oil, mustard, soy sauce and sugar. While whisking, slowly drizzle in olive oil until all oil is incorporated.
- Make the Creamy Sweet Chili Dressing: In small bowl, stir mayonnaise and chili sauce until well combined.
- Make the Salad: Place onions, bell pepper, Napa cabbage, red cabbage and carrots in large bowl. Add Hot Mustard Vinaigrette; toss until well combined. Divide salad between 4 serving bowls or plates; top with turkey and wonton strips. Drizzle with Creamy Sweet Chili Dressing and serve immediately.
Home Chef Tip: Ask for JENNIE-O Sweet Thai Chili Turkey Breast at the deli section of your grocery store. Ask for 8 ounces of turkey, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Then, cut into cubes at home.