Welcome to Foxes Love Lemons’ WEEK OF DIPS! I’m bringing you all sorts of dippin’ goodness so you can find a recipe your party crowd will love for the big game!
We’re still in the prime snacking season of the year. New Year’s Day (the ultimate snacking day in my household) has come and gone, with pulled pork nachos and Asian-style chicken wings being our snacks/meals of choice. Oscar night is on the horizon next month, which calls for elegant snacks to complement the fancy evening gowns on television. And the big game is next weekend! Some say that the food for this event is their favorite part (more so than the game itself), and I couldn’t agree more.
Game Day Entertaining & Pairings is the theme for this week’s #SundaySupper. It is being sponsored by Gallo Family Vineyards and hosted by Isabel at Family Foodie. While many people automatically stock their coolers with beer for the big game, I sometimes get a little tired of beer, and reach for wine instead. I love that the Gallo Family Vineyards website offers food pairing notes for each of its wines. It makes it so simple to pick a wine based on whatever food you might be serving at your party!
This spicy bean & chorizo dip is inspired by an appetizer at one of my favorite restaurants in town. It calls for only five ingredients (although, you can also add the optional toppings if you’re feeling fancy). It takes only a few minutes to prep the ingredients and stir together, and then it just simmers away on the stove until it is nice and thick and delicious. The spicy chorizo and tangy tomatillo salsa flavors the stewed beans. A little lime juice for brightness and sour cream for richness is stirred in right at the end.
Based on the food pairing notes for Gallo Family Vineyards Moscato (“The honeyed sweetness is a wonderful contrast to spicy Asian take-out or Mexican dishes, and complements everyday desserts”), I thought it would be the perfect complement to this spicy dip. I was right, and the hot spicy dip paired with the cold sweet wine was a match made in football-watching heaven!
Be sure to stock your bar with Gallo Family Vineyards wine for your game-watching party. Find a local retailer here, and connect with Gallo Family Vineyards on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
- 3/4 pound chorizo sausage, casings removed, crumbled
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans (do not drain)
- 1 jar (16 ounces) tomatillo salsa
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Toppings (optional): crumbled queso fresco, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped white onion, hot sauce
- Tortilla chips for serving
- In medium saucepot, cook chorizo over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes or until cooked through and browned.
- Add beans and salsa; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 30 minutes or until very thick, stirring occasionally. About halfway through simmering time, coarsely mash some of the beans with a potato masher.
- Stir in lime juice and sour cream. Serve warm with desired toppings, and tortilla chips.
Other dip recipes for the big game:
- Roasted Garlic & Almond Dip
- Burrata with Grilled Red Pepper Dip
- Sweet ‘n Spicy Black Bean Dip
- Country Ranch Hummus
- Roasted Red Pepper & Onion Guacamole
- Lightened-Up Buffalo Chicken Dip
Don’t forget to check out all of the delicious Sunday Supper recipes:
- Bacon Wrapped Maple Scallops by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Balsamic Glazed Cauliflower “Wings” by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Bean and Chorizo Dip by Foxes Love Lemons
- Beer Braised Szechuan Chicken Wings by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Blue Cheese Burger Bites by Country Girl In The Village
- Chipotle Quinoa Fritters by Healthy. Delicious.
- Cilantro Lime Marinated Shrimp by Ruffles & Truffles
- Game Day Pepperoni Pizza Dip by Family Foodie
- Game Day Pulled Pork Nachos by girlichef
- Goat Cheese, Bacon, and Pistachio Truffles by Chocolate Moosey
- Grilled Steak Sliders with Chimichurri Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Honey Dijon Glazed Wings by The Foodie Army Wife
- Honey Ham Barbecue by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip by The Dinner-Mom
- Korean-style Clams by kimchi MOM
- Sparkling Pomegranate Pinot Punch by Magnolia Days
- Spicy Sausage Rolls by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Spinach Balls by Shocklingly Delicious
- Spinach Lasagna Cups by Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Skins by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here - Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food writing.