Bean & Chorizo Dip #SundaySupper

5 Ingredient Bean & Chorizo Dip - Chorizo, pinto beans, tomatillo salsa, lime juice and sour cream combine to make a game day dip the whole crowd will love!

Welcome to Foxes Love Lemons’ WEEK OF DIPS! I’m bringing you all sorts of dippin’ goodness so you can find a recipe your party crowd will love for the big game!

We’re still in the prime snacking season of the year. New Year’s Day (the ultimate snacking day in my household) has come and gone, with pulled pork nachos and Asian-style chicken wings being our snacks/meals of choice. Oscar night is on the horizon next month, which calls for elegant snacks to complement the fancy evening gowns on television. And the big game is next weekend! Some say that the food for this event is their favorite part (more so than the game itself), and I couldn’t agree more.

Game Day Entertaining & Pairings is the theme for this week’s #SundaySupper. It is being sponsored by Gallo Family Vineyards and hosted by Isabel at Family Foodie. While many people automatically stock their coolers with beer for the big game, I sometimes get a little tired of beer, and reach for wine instead. I love that the Gallo Family Vineyards website offers food pairing notes for each of its wines. It makes it so simple to pick a wine based on whatever food you might be serving at your party!

This spicy bean & chorizo dip is inspired by an appetizer at one of my favorite restaurants in town. It calls for only five ingredients (although, you can also add the optional toppings if you’re feeling fancy). It takes only a few minutes to prep the ingredients and stir together, and then it just simmers away on the stove until it is nice and thick and delicious. The spicy chorizo and tangy tomatillo salsa flavors the stewed beans. A little lime juice for brightness and sour cream for richness is stirred in right at the end.

Gallo Family Vineyards Moscato

Based on the food pairing notes for Gallo Family Vineyards Moscato (“The honeyed sweetness is a wonderful contrast to spicy Asian take-out or Mexican dishes, and complements everyday desserts”), I thought it would be the perfect complement to this spicy dip. I was right, and the hot spicy dip paired with the cold sweet wine was a match made in football-watching heaven!

Be sure to stock your bar with Gallo Family Vineyards wine for your game-watching party. Find a local retailer here, and connect with Gallo Family Vineyards on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.

Bean & Chorizo Dip

Yield: 12 Servings

Bean & Chorizo Dip

• 3/4 pound chorizo sausage, casings removed, crumbled
  • 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans (do not drain)
  • 1 jar (16 ounces) tomatillo salsa
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream
  • Toppings (optional): crumbled queso fresco, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped white onion, hot sauce
  • Tortilla chips for serving

1. In medium saucepot, cook chorizo over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes or until cooked through and browned.
  2. Add beans and salsa; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 30 minutes or until very thick, stirring occasionally. About halfway through simmering time, coarsely mash some of the beans with a potato masher.
  3. Stir in lime juice and sour cream. Serve warm with desired toppings, and tortilla chips.

Foxes Love Lemons Week of Dips

Other dip recipes for the big game:

GFV-family-logo (1)SSbadge-200x200

Don’t forget to check out all of the delicious Sunday Supper recipes:

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here - Sunday Supper Movement.

Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.

Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food writing.

55 Responses to “Bean & Chorizo Dip #SundaySupper”

1. Renee Dobbs — January 26, 2014 at 7:20 am

I think I’d have to make a double batch because this would certainly go fast with my friends and family. What a great dip.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — January 27th, 2014 @ 9:25 pm

It’s pretty addictive once you start eating it :) Thanks Renee!

2. Pingback: Sparkling Pomegranate Pinot Punch | Magnolia Days

3. Pingback: Pepperoni Pizza Dip — Family Foodie

4. Pingback: Game Day Entertaining and Pairing by Gallo Family Vineyards — Family Foodie

5. Marjory @ Dinner-Mom — January 26, 2014 at 7:46 am

Love the sweet and spicy pairing…I bet it is delish!

6. Alida — January 26, 2014 at 7:51 am

All of the flavors in this dip sounds phenomenal! I bet it would be delicious paired with the Moscato – yum!!

7. Pingback: Cilantro Lime Marinated Shrimp | Ruffles & Truffles

8. Katie — January 26, 2014 at 7:59 am

Ohhhh delicious snacking goodness! I don’t think I’d want to share this dip with anyone. It looks fantastic!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — January 27th, 2014 @ 9:24 pm

Oh, you don’t have to share, Katie. I’ll allow it.

9. Pingback: Korean-style Clams #SundaySupper - kimchi MOM ™

10. Pingback: Grilled Steak Sliders with Chimichurri Sauce for a Gallo #SundaySupper | Hip Foodie Mom

11. Family Foodie — January 26, 2014 at 8:28 am

You know how I feel about chorizo! This dip is totally going to make it to our game day celebration!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — January 27th, 2014 @ 9:24 pm

So happy to hear that, Isabel. Let me know how you like it :)

12. Alice Choi — January 26, 2014 at 8:38 am

A 5 ingredient bean and chorizo dip?! Hell yes! love this!!!

13. Pingback: Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip for #SundaySupper - The Dinner-Mom

14. Liz — January 26, 2014 at 8:48 am

Wow, Lori! SO flavorful, so easy, so yummy!

15. Shannon — January 26, 2014 at 9:13 am

These favors are calling my name! What a great dip?! I also love the contrast of the spicy dip and sweet wine. Yum!

16. Pingback: Game Day Entertaining & Wine Pairing w/ @GalloFamily #SundaySupper

17. Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious — January 26, 2014 at 9:37 am

Prime snacking season…you’re right! Between games and awards shows and the Olympics, we have appetizer heaven!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — January 27th, 2014 @ 9:18 pm

Ohhhh! I forgot about the Olympics for a second. Even more snacking opportunities!

18. Pingback: Spinach Balls — Shockingly Delicious

19. kimchi_mom — January 26, 2014 at 9:53 am

If there’s chorizo involved, I’m in like Flynn! :-) And so easy to make!

20. Pingback: Chipotle Quinoa Fritters #SundaySupper - Healthy. Delicious.

21. Pingback: Spicy Sausage Rolls #SundaySupper - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

22. cupcakekalechip — January 26, 2014 at 10:43 am

I thought’s I’d be chorizo’d out after last week’s tapas, but this sounds amazing!!

23. littleredkitchen — January 26, 2014 at 10:48 am

I’m not a bean person but I’d still totally stand at the table and pick off the rest of the toppings from this dip because chorizo. . .

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — January 27th, 2014 @ 9:17 pm

Hehe, thanks Susan. I had a roommate in college who despised beans, so I’m pretty used to it ;)

24. DB-The Foodie Stuntman — January 26, 2014 at 11:49 am

Ah ha! I see you weren’t the only one to match Moscato with spicy food. Sounds delicious!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — January 27th, 2014 @ 9:17 pm

Yeah, it seems that several of us did. A perfect pairing!

25. Pingback: Sweet Potato Skins with Cheese and Caramelized Onions | The Wimpy Vegetarian

26. Susan Pridmore — January 26, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I love this dip – it wouldn’t last long around here, that’s for sure. It perfect for game day!

27. Constance — January 26, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Mmmmmm…..CHORIZO… And in a DIP! What a fantastic idea!

28. Carla — January 26, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Dip week?! Oh I must stop back later then! But first I’m going to steal this bowl of dip ;)

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — January 27th, 2014 @ 9:16 pm

Oh yes, dip week. I could pretty much do a dip MONTH, really. Maybe next year.

29. Elizabeth - SugarHero! — January 27, 2014 at 4:02 am

This sounds great! I am SO not a football fan, but I am a huge appetizer fan, so this recipe is right up my alley.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — January 27th, 2014 @ 9:16 pm

Haha yes, Elisabeth, appetizers > football any day.

30. Pingback: Goat Cheese, Bacon, and Pistachio Truffles | Chocolate Moosey

31. Shaina Wizov — January 27, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Moscato is my absolute favorite. The spiciness from the dip would pair perfectly!

32. Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere — January 27, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I love a Moscato with spicy foods. This sounds perfect!

33. Lori | Foxes Love Lemons — January 27, 2014 at 9:16 pm

I’m new to moscato myself, Shaina, but I do like how it pairs with spicy foods.

34. The Hubs — January 28, 2014 at 9:24 am

I actually liked yours better than the chorizo bean dip at Imperial. Shhhh, don’t tell anybody.

35. Pingback: Bean & Chorizo Dip Recipe - RecipeChart.com

36. Pingback: Balsamic Glazed Cauliflower "Wings" - Cupcakes & Kale Chips

37. Pingback: Blue Cheese Burger Bites {For a Game Day #SundaySupper} | Country Girl in the Village